User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Alexander Povetkin

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Alexander Povetkin

Well I'm sure that many people have overlooked that his fight vs Leo Nolan happened last night and here are the highlights
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZvp-LvL1JI

Teddy Atlas is having to speak through an interpreter in the corner which is interesting.

Well #1 What do you guys think of Atlas' effect (if any) on Povetkin #2 How do you see Povetkin and Atlas taking on Sam Peter for the interm IBF title in early 2010 and #3 Do you give the guy any chance to make waves in the division?

I think he's a good fighter but I don't think he has the skill set to trouble the Klitschko's much less beat them and Sam Peter will be the first big puncher Povetkin has fought.

jon09 Guest

Default Re: Alexander Povetkin

Thanks Lyle... I think he beats Sam with no problems and I do like his side to side movement. I would like to see a little more of him and a few more fights with Teddy before he fights Vlad. Him and Arreola would be real interesting if that fight ever got made.

El Kabong Guest

I think Povetkin can fight a couple of different guys to prepare him for the Klitschko's. So far Eddie Chambers is the best prepared to fight the Klitschko's he's fought guys who can use their reach, power, and box well and he's come through it ok, 1 loss but OK nevertheless.

I have always thought Teddy Atlas took the Klitschko's a little too lightly and I wonder if that will carry over for his preparing Povetkin...I have yet to really see ANY true power from Povetkin and I doubt his chin as well.

Povetkin-Arreola is a good matchup and Sam Peter is a good matchup as well but those guys don't put the work in to be able to compete with Povetkin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd like to see Povetkin-Adamek. Whilst it may lack the quality that either Klitschko brings, I think it could well be the most exciting fight to be made at heavyweight at present.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Povetkin is ok but like the vast majority of heavyweights I just yawn when I hear his name.

There's just nothing memorable about him whatsoever, an average sized heavy, with an average physique, decent workrate but very average power, I just find him dull.

To be honest I find all of them dull really, although I hate him David Haye IS the most exciting fighter in the division, and I'm a fan of Odlanier Solis too, but really its not a very exciting division.

Povetkin, like the heavyweight division in general just lacks a spark of anything that would make me care to see him fight.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's still a work in progress imo though I'll be interested to see what influence Atlas has on him.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Howlin Mad Missy View Post
    He's still a work in progress imo though I'll be interested to see what influence Atlas has on him.
    Him not understanding the language must be a barrier imo.

He better have an inventive translator to be able to make sense of all those analogies.

I can picture it now Povetkin moaning to his translator 'Why he talk to me about cars and baseball, I hire him to teach me fight not drive in race and talk about stupid American games?'

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

that will come over time. most fighters will quickly pick up on MOVE YOUR FEET, jab, left, right etc.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he'll improve under Atlas. Povetkin seems to have more dedicaton than the other Atlas-trained heavyweights. I can't imagine Teddy having to beg Alexander to do roadwork like he had to with Moorer. The Nolan fight didn't really show us much other than Povetkin showing up in better shape...which is a good first step. If the Peter fight gets made then we'll see how much of a difference Teddy has made.

I agree he won't beat either Klitschko but I give him a good shot at beating everyone else.

Thread Information