Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Muhammad Ali's condition.Caused by boxing or not?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Muhammad Ali's condition.Caused by boxing or not?

Sounds a stupid question I know but Ali is not punch drunk like a lot of older boxer used to be,he has Parkinsons which is a medical condition that millions of none boxers suffer from.

While there are a number of ex fighter that are punch drunk I dont know of any other boxers who have Parkinsons apart from Ali.

I know its not a nice topic but I have thought about this a lot and was woundering your opinions.
    Balls

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Muhammad Ali's condition.Caused by boxing or not?

I honestly don't know much about the causes of the disease but I don't think taking blows to the head is an initial cause. Maybe it increases the of severity if it's already there.

It is such a shame though, I have often wondered what Ali would be like on TV these days as a proud old man still cracking jokes and all on talk shows and stuff. He was just so quick witted and funny, I often watch the Parkinson interviews because he was so damn entertaining to listen to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post
    Sounds a stupid question I know but Ali is not punch drunk like a lot of older boxer used to be,he has Parkinsons which is a medical condition that millions of none boxers suffer from.

While there are a number of ex fighter that are punch drunk I dont know of any other boxers who have Parkinsons apart from Ali.

I know its not a nice topic but I have thought about this a lot and was woundering your opinions.
    Freddie Roach has Parkinsons too. Trauma to the head is proven to aid in this disease. Although not a commonality, as one may expect, in boxers as you allude to.

El Kabong Guest

Here's the #1 fact, if we all lived loing enough we would all get Parkinson's, it's the natural breakdown of the brain. Now the disease that people like Ali, Freddy Roach, and Michael J. Fox have are just advanced cases of Parkinson's and in those cases it is my belief that Ali and Roach had their situations moved along by boxing and Fox just got the shit end of the stick genetically.

It's pretty much common sense getting punched in the head repeatedly isn't going to do you any favors with your brain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes. His symptoms are likely caused by boxing.

Ali has Parkinson's Syndrome, which is can be caused by repeated trauma to the head.

Many people mistakenly say he has Parkinson's disease which is not caused by trauma.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post

Well, I believe 100% that his Parkinsons was caused by boxing,but unlike Pugilistica Dementia, he is not punch drunk. His motor skills have been impacted but his brain is fine. With PD, the brain cells eventually liquify at which point the victim is put on life supprt and eventually dies. There is some medicine that can forestall the invetibale, I believe, but I am not certain.

Roach and Ali are examples of Parkinson that does not affect the brain; Jerry and Mkie Quarry are examples of PD that led to their deaths. Once you get it, it is irreversable. It is horiffic in that the sympons don't show up until many year after you acquire it--sometimes as long as 14 years. Many fighters like Boom Boom Mancini get annual scans just to be certain they are ok.

There are fighters out there today who are well on there way to PD, but nothing is to be gained by identifying them. Suffice it to say that mang reats died of it including Willie Pep and Jimmy Young.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes it was caused by boxing.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No it wasn't caused by boxing, more then likely he would have developed Parkinson's anyway like most diseases it sits dormant for long periods of time before any symptoms appear, though head trauma will cause the disease to progress more rapidly and can add to the severity of the disease.

Ali is often confused with someone who has pugilistic dementia which he doesn't in all truth what many people do not realize is his comprehension is at 100% he knows what is going on at all times it is his motor skills and basic everyday senses that suffer the effects along with the major joints in his body making it so hard for him to function

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought Ray Robinson got Parkinsons along with alzheimers, but I could be wrong.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post
    No it wasn't caused by boxing, more then likely he would have developed Parkinson's anyway like most diseases it sits dormant for long periods of time before any symptoms appear, though head trauma will cause the disease to progress more rapidly and can add to the severity of the disease.

Ali is often confused with someone who has pugilistic dementia which he doesn't in all truth what many people do not realize is his comprehension is at 100% he knows what is going on at all times it is his motor skills and basic everyday senses that suffer the effects along with the major joints in his body making it so hard for him to function
    From above: Well, I believe 100% that his Parkinsons was caused by boxing,but unlike Pugilistica Dementia, he is not punch drunk. His motor skills have been impacted but his brain is fine. With PD, the brain cells eventually liquify at which point the victim is put on life supprt and eventually dies. There is some medicine that can forestall the invetibale, I believe, but I am not certain.

Roach and Ali are examples of Parkinson that does not affect the brain; Jerry and Mkie Quarry are examples of PD that led to their deaths. Once you get it, it is irreversable. It is horiffic in that the sympons don't show up until many year after you acquire it--sometimes as long as 14 years. Many fighters like Boom Boom Mancini get annual scans just to be certain they are ok.

There are fighters out there today who are well on there way to PD, but nothing is to be gained by identifying them. Suffice it to say that mang greats died of it including Willie Pep and Jimmy Young.

I have done reams of research on this while studying the time line on Jerry Quarry's situation. the numebr of boxers who end up with PD is astounding.

But had Ali not fought, he would not have been afflicted with Parkinsons IMO. Roach admits that his last 5 fights probably did him in. Ali was beginning to show the symptons when he fought Holmes. It was painful to watch and listen to him talk. When he fought Berbick, most already knew he was in big trouble.

Sugar Ray Robinson reportedly died of Alzheimers disease as did Ingamar Johannson and Floyd Patterson, but Alzheimer's is often used instead of PD as a cause of death.

A great article on this is: "Let the standing count begin"

August 14, 2007|Bill Dwyre

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Thread Information