Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Boxing Photos from Minneapolis

I took these on Friday night. You can read about the event at MN Boxing League

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Boxing Photos from Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by JMK View Post

That is a badass shot right there, I mean they are all very good, but I really like the moment captured there.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks man. The shots of the photographer above, that's his father. I don't think he had time to take even one shot it ended so quickly, and he was probably far too concerned about his kid.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I read about the heavyweight fight on boxrec, sounds like there was a little chaos in the ring. I'd like to hear your take on it.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Joey Abell/Raphael Butler fight ended just after the 1st round ended, when Joey KO'd Raphael out cold. Joey was rocked earlier in the round, and I imagine his bell was rung a bit, and didn't hear the real bell. Raphael however did hear the bell, and let his guard down. Then his entire being followed when Joey kept swinging.

Raphael's manager ran into the ring to accost and/or attack Joey, and as seen above, several others followed. I heard one of the cornermen was Ko'd in the scuffle, and that the attacker broke his ankle somewhere in the mix. I also heard that the original DQ was subsequently changed to a NC that the promoters don't have to pay either of the fighters, but this is unconfirmed (I was told this earlier today by the manager of another fighter on the card).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Where can I see more of your work fella? I think your photography is the bollocks to be frank. What big fights have you taken pics from?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post

That is a badass shot right there, I mean they are all very good, but I really like the moment captured there.
    Yeah talk about catching the moment. That picture tells the whole story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks, I think.

To be perfectly honest, I haven't shot any "big fights" in terms of internationally known names. As far as boxing goes, some of the better known names I've shot the fights of would be local guys like Matt Vanda and Jason Litzau. If I expand my credentials into who I've worked with in MMA, I've worked with some "big names" including Anderson Silva, Sean Sherk, Roger Huerta, and my most famous photo depicts Brad Imes (The Ultimate Fighter season 2 finalist) choking out Zak Jensen (TUF season 10 contestant) by way of gogoplata.

I get media credentials to shoot fights- boxing, kickboxing, and MMA- but I'm rarely hired, and usually only make money if I happen to make any sales I arrange for myself. I usually don't make anything shooting boxing, and the papers stick to their own photographers, and they usually produce low quality shots.

More shots:

I took these on Nov 13th:

and these on Nov 20th:

I also shot a Muay Thai/kickboxing/MMA event earlier today that I haven't even looked at the pics of yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

man these are great photos..you should be selling yourself to the ring magazine or other boxing publications..i,m sure if they saw more of your work they would pay you..best of luck..rosco..perth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Truly appreciated Rosco, thank you.

To be honest I've tried sending emails out to boxing publications, but I never get a reply. Zero. Not one boxing publication (I've tried to contact three) has ever gotten back to me saying that they've even had a look at my work. And as far as local (Twin Cities) papers go, they even go as far as running a story without a photo instead of making me an offer (and believe me, I've reached out to them on a number of occasions). It looks like I'm in a dead end market. Even the promoters and boxers rarely purchase anything. I'm really not sure how much more energy I want to put into this.
    Last edited by JMK; 12-07-2009 at 03:17 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Awesome photos!!!
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Outstanding photos. Some of the best I have seen in recent years.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Sydney, Australia. Originally from Canada.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Those are absolutely great! Good job mate!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Truly appreciated Rosco, thank you.

To be honest I've tried sending emails out to boxing publications, but I never get a reply. Zero. Not one boxing publication (I've tried to contact three) has ever gotten back to me saying that they've even had a look at my work. And as far as local (Twin Cities) papers go, they even go as far as running a story without a photo instead of making me an offer (and believe me, I've reached out to them on a number of occasions). It looks like I'm in a dead end market. Even the promoters and boxers rarely purchase anything. I'm really not sure how much more energy I want to put into this.
    Great shots as usual great shots...

As for your situation you gotta ask yourself if this is something your doing because your passionate about it or is it something you just felt you could make some cash on?

I bring this up because I was trying to work side jobs and it was really hard to get work. Door after door closed and it just seems like I couldn't catch a break. Until about 4 yrs ago I caught HUGE break and things turned around for me. Like you I asked myself was it something I was willing to stick with and ride out for better or worse or was it nothing more then just something I thought I wanted.

I stuck with it and made some great money and more important accomplished one of my life long dreams.

Wish you lots of luck JMK stay positive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great pics man.
    If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize. Muhammad Ali.

Thread Information