Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Parallel between Roy Jones Jr. and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Parallel between Roy Jones Jr. and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

This is where we disagree. I do agree that styles make fights. But pac mans punches hurt. And I think Floyd's style is pretty good for Pac man. Floyd likes to sit in the corner in his Philly Shell defense and look for openings while his opponents look for an opening to punch through. Pac man isn't going to look, he's gonna feel around for an opening...with his fists. I keep saying that something is going to get through. Every once in a while, Floyd will have to poke his head up and try to punch and that's when the fight will start. And are you seriously telling me that Roach won't make mid fight adjustments to win this fight? Seriously?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

did he against marquez? i remember him just trying to throw more and hope he did enough for the decision, roach can tell him all he likes, he isnt the one in there... i havent see anything to suggest that pac can make adjustments mid fight to change the outcome

floyd wont just sit in his shell if he starts to get tagged... he isnt a one trick pony ... far from it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

U just said that Manny was confused by Cotto but ended up planting him on his back. That adjustment took one round. And as for hiding under his guard and poking his head up. That's all he's done since he beat Gatti. He's going to rely on judges rather than his fists. And as for the pacman marquez fight, he's a much more balanced fighter and much more accurate puncher now

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

more a change made by cotto when he tried to come in and manhandle pac

judah fight ? put it this way excessive agression hasnt worked before why should it work now.... the kind of fighter to beat floyd is someone with a good and high work rate... maybe paul williams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd will never let that happen. He'd run faster from williams than he did from Margarito. Just like every other welterweight that Williams wants to fight. And manny does have a high, and effective work rate, coupled with crippling power. Something floyd has never felt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 15rounder View Post
    Floyd will never let that happen. He'd run faster from williams than he did from Margarito. Just like every other welterweight that Williams wants to fight. And manny does have a high, and effective work rate, coupled with crippling power. Something floyd has never felt.

crippling power he couldnt quite use on DLH, he hit him flush many many times and never hurt him, hatton and cotto have question marks due to their previous fights when it comes to punch resistance... floyd isnt even slighty worn in this way... pac wont stop him mark my words

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd got wobbly against CORLEY. Manny won't have trouble there. And DLH wasn't hurt at all by floyd, but was growing a second person under his eye vs. pac man. How's that for a power comparison.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

let me hit DLH that many times and he would bruise up, this isnt a very good way to measure power

ye floyd was wobbled by corley, pac was knocked out twice... what do those two things have in common .... they were part of the learning curve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

While I respect your opinion and think you're a true fan of the sport, I'm noticing a common theme in all of your posts when it comes to pac man and mayweather. When we talk about fights that mayweather has won, u give all the credit in the world to mayweather, however every time we talk about a big fight pac man has won, it's because his opponent made some mistake or because they are suspect...and everytime there is an overlap in their resumes, you give the advantage to mayweather for whatever reason. And just because manny has 3 losses, it doesn't mean floyd is 3 times better, it's because Manny fights the best fighters all the time, regardless of how dangerous they may be to him. (no one gave manny a chance against DLH). No one makes it to the top of the p4p list because 49 of their opponents just messed up, it's because he's a badass fighter with. Not to mention he has knockout power that floyd lost 5 years ago. Floyd has carefully selected his opponents his entire career, making sure not to fight anyone that would give him the slightest bit of trouble. The only reason he fought JLC is because he thought he was much worse than he actually was. And the only reason he is fighting this fight is because he's being forced to. He's already showing he's afraid of Manny's power by trying to mandate extra drug tests because he can't understand how manny can maintain his power and speed when he moves up in weight. Floyd is already showing that he's scared. He'll try to think of something else when manny passes both tests.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanhatton View Post
    a thing that alot of the pac fans miss is that styles make fights
    I totally agree with this statement but alot of Mayweather fans miss it as well. "Mayweather will do what Marquez did but better" is something that I hear over and over again. Styles do make fights but fighters also employ styles in their own ways. Sure Mayweather and Marquez are both counter-punchers, but the comparisons end here. At these higher weights Mayweather chooses to make his opponents miss more times than pay, sometimes waiting to shoulder roll counter right when he has nowhere to go. Marquez, however, has both hands up looking to immediately reply with a mix of hooks and angled uppercuts. Mayweather's footwork is also geared for mobility where Marquez builds a much more solid base for added power. Mayweather chooses to avoid exchanges where Marquez will sometimes bite down and also engage. Mayweather also uses a number of different stances. One that springs to mind is where he raises and turns his rear heel forward, drops his hands and uses his head as bait. If his opponent jabs he pulls back and counters with a straight right and if not he leads with a Hopkins style (minus the warhead ) leaping straight right, smothers or ducks and moves to either side. When Mayweather's hands are up look for the feinted jabs and lying eyes to the body before the left hook. I feel these are not only indications of Mayweather's superior depth but are also, as of yet, unexploited habits.

Two counter-punchers from two different schools.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

15rounder is pretty talented by the sound of it, he can type while he hugs pacmans nuts. If you keep hanging onto pacs nuts mate, pac wont make weight
    Hidden Content

Please see above for my opinion

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The initial post just makes it evident that you are praying for Mayweather to lose. If you wan't to break it down and make your case for Manny winning that's one thing; but to attempt to draw a comparison between this scenario and Roy Jones fighting Tarver and losing his form entirely since then, it's completely ridiculous. For one thing Roy Jones didn't even have to fight Taver whatsoever, and was clearly adversly impacted by dropping down in weight to do so. Mayweather Pacquiao is in a completely different league as far as public demand. Mayweather is also clearly thought to be more comfortable at 147, where the fight will take place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Disagree with the thread starter. I think Floyd came back only for the Pac fight because of the money it represents and he doesnt see Pac as the threat that a lot of us do.

The young guys are different now in boxing. Legacy is not as motivating to them as making 30 million dollars so Floyd is motivated by money and Pac represents the biggest payday for him. I dont think either is being pushed into anything and Mayweather wants the fight just as badly, but for reasons that are different than what you would expect.

Floyd has been involved in boxing for a long time at the higher level whereas Pac was kind of like a blue collar worker for some time. He is fine in his position and allowing his handlers to control his fights whereas Floyd wants to think he is in control of both his business and fighting side of his matters.

ICB Guest

This is where we disagree. I do agree that styles make fights. But pac mans punches hurt. And I think Floyd's style is pretty good for Pac man. Floyd likes to sit in the corner in his Philly Shell defense and look for openings while his opponents look for an opening to punch through. Pac man isn't going to look, he's gonna feel around for an opening...with his fists. I keep saying that something is going to get through. Every once in a while, Floyd will have to poke his head up and try to punch and that's when the fight will start. And are you seriously telling me that Roach won't make mid fight adjustments to win this fight? Seriously?
    Yes style do make fights thats why a shot MAB, did even make the improved Manny Pacquiao look quite bad. Because he boxed on the backfoot counter punching, the only problem is that he was far too cautious and too shot at that point.

JMM also IMO beat Manny Pacquiao twice, because he counter punched and boxed on the backfoot. And also Erik Morales beat Manny Pacquiao by boxing on the backfoot and counter punching, are you noticing a pattern here ?

Floyd Mayweather Jr is a better boxer on the backfoot, and a better counter puncher than any of those guys above. You say DeMarcus Corley wobbled Floyd Mayweather Jr, well Oscar Larios moving up two weightclass wobbled Manny Pacquiao aswell.

The fact is i think you can only count on one hand, the amount of times Floyd Mayweather Jr has been hurt. Despite what anyone thinks the guy is almost a perfect fighter, and i honestly don't think he gets enough credit for the JMM win.

Sure JMM wasn't at his best moving up, but because it was so one sided would it have even mattered ? Floyd Mayweather Jr was also better at lower weightclasses, especially at Super Featherweight.

Lastly im taking Floyd Mayweather Jr by decision, i like Manny Pacquiao and i think he is an awesome fighter. But i think people are way too much on the Manny Pacquiao bandwagon, and they are forgetting that style wise Floyd Mayweather Jr is everything Manny Pacquiao struggles against.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Yes style do make fights thats why a shot MAB, did even make the improved Manny Pacquiao look quite bad. Because he boxed on the backfoot counter punching, the only problem is that he was far too cautious and too shot at that point.

JMM also IMO beat Manny Pacquiao twice, because he counter punched and boxed on the backfoot. And also Erik Morales beat Manny Pacquiao by boxing on the backfoot and counter punching, are you noticing a pattern here ?

Floyd Mayweather Jr is a better boxer on the backfoot, and a better counter puncher than any of those guys above. You say DeMarcus Corley wobbled Floyd Mayweather Jr, well Oscar Larios moving up two weightclass wobbled Manny Pacquiao aswell.

The fact is i think you can only count on one hand, the amount of times Floyd Mayweather Jr has been hurt. Despite what anyone thinks the guy is almost a perfect fighter, and i honestly don't think he gets enough credit for the JMM win.

Sure JMM wasn't at his best moving up, but because it was so one sided would it have even mattered ? Floyd Mayweather Jr was also better at lower weightclasses, especially at Super Featherweight.

Lastly im taking Floyd Mayweather Jr by decision, i like Manny Pacquiao and i think he is an awesome fighter. But i think people are way too much on the Manny Pacquiao bandwagon, and they are forgetting that style wise Floyd Mayweather Jr is everything Manny Pacquiao struggles against.
    Excellent post, couldnt agree more.

Thread Information