Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parallel between Roy Jones Jr. and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Parallel between Roy Jones Jr. and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

I see some similiarities here. Granted Mayweather is much smarter and has and will continue to manage his career much better. But the big parallel I see is that Floyd is now basically being forced into a fight with Pac-man. He has never, and never would have sought this out on his own. The public is demanding it. This is the very same thing that happened when Roy Jones HAD to fight Tarver. It was at this point that Jones was exposed and started getting his rolled every other fight. It's not something that would happen to Floyd. If he loses, I think we'll just hear excuses. But for the first time, Floyd is being forced into a fight with someone he wants nothing to do with. I just think the paralels are interesting

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Parallel between Roy Jones Jr. and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by 15rounder View Post
    I see some similiarities here. Granted Mayweather is much smarter and has and will continue to manage his career much better. But the big parallel I see is that Floyd is now basically being forced into a fight with Pac-man. He has never, and never would have sought this out on his own. The public is demanding it. This is the very same thing that happened when Roy Jones HAD to fight Tarver. It was at this point that Jones was exposed and started getting his rolled every other fight. It's not something that would happen to Floyd. If he loses, I think we'll just hear excuses. But for the first time, Floyd is being forced into a fight with someone he wants nothing to do with. I just think the paralels are interesting
    No question Floyd doesn't have the greatest resume...but you can make the case that Manny is taking this fight because the market demands it as well. His last three fights where cherry picked by Roach and suited his strengths and revealed the glaring weaknesses of his opponents. You very well can see the Pac momentum being halted in it's tracks by a Floyd boxing clinic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hmmm.... the difference i think is that floyd is a boxer wereas i believe RJJ relied on his athleticism, once this started to fade a little, he slowed slightly and his reactions started to dwindle he had problems, floyd just off the back of his style wont have the same kind of problems i dont think

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pac-mans resume is much better than Floyds. And everytime you come across an overlap in their resumes, Manny has the more impressive win by far...i.e. De la Hoya, Hatton, Marquez (without cheating in weight). Pac-man would have sought this fight out. Mayweather would have avoided it at all costs. He doesn't like fighting people the same size or bigger (and/or stronger) than him. If you look at Floyds resume, he is always the bigger and/or faster man in the fight. He will be neither in this one. Manny is just as fast and much more powerful. Granted Floyd is probably the best defensive fighter that boxing has ever seen, Manny's accuracy and balance has improved 1000% and something is going to get through. Thats what will make it so intriguing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

floyd fought DLH at 154 lb and was up against a much healthier version, also i dont think because pac ko'd hatton earlier the victory is neccesarilly more impressive, floyd took hatton apart, his style isnt as agressive but this doesnt make it a lesser victory and always harder to beat an undefeated fight as hatton was at the time,

its all smoke and mirrors for any victory of floyds you can discredit i can find a logical way to descredit any pac victory.... the only way we know for certain is if/when they get in the ring together

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can you think of any fighters that Pac-man has ducked in the past? He basically ran through Mexico...and if Floyd wasn't in the picture, I guarantee his next bout would be against Mosely. There are a few fighters that wanted a piece of Floyd where he went and hid under his couch because he wasn't going to be the bigger man. For me, it just boils down to this...After all the big fights that Pac-man has been in, most recently, being able to take punches from Cotto for 12 rounds, I don't see him being hurt by ANYTHING that Floyd throws at him. It's no secret that Pacman is willing to take a punch to give 3 of them back. Floyd is going to have to fight at some point in this match. I think it will be the first time since his first fight with Castillo that we will see Floyd endure some pain. Manny is used to it. I wish this fight was tomorrow

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd a much truer technical 101 rounded boxer.However much I rag on Jones jr one thing he showd,in spots,was a finishing desire.Carried a few guys and bs'd his way past some huge fights early but he would step in and explode,punctuate his advantages.Floyd is far to content.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

margarito took those shots from cotto also.... did you see mosley knocking him out as he did in his very next fight ?

dont think floyd cant hurt pac... would be foolish to believe this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it's gonna be a close fight and i don't see a knockout. i think floyd knows that he won't win the fight by coasting like he has in recent years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not saying pac-man won't feel anything. He will. But its not going to be enough to slow him down. And Margarito is no Pac man. Not to mention how much was taken off Cottos punches in those later rounds because of the brick plaster Margarito had in his gloves. Pac man is in MUCH better physical condition and at a much better point in his career. I did not see near as much slow down in Pac man after round 7 against Cotto as I did in Margarito. If this fight is a toss up after 10 rounds, Floyd is going to have to fight Manny's fight in the last 2 rounds. Manny will leave everything in that ring

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not saying pac-man won't feel anything. He will. But its not going to be enough to slow him down. And Margarito is no Pac man. Not to mention how much was taken off Cottos punches in those later rounds because of the brick plaster Margarito had in his gloves. Pac man is in MUCH better physical condition and at a much better point in his career. I did not see near as much slow down in Pac man after round 7 against Cotto as I did in Margarito. If this fight is a toss up after 10 rounds, Floyd is going to have to fight Manny's fight in the last 2 rounds. Manny will leave everything in that ring

you being serious, margarito upped the pressure after the 7th not slow down, i personally think floyd shuts his offence down, hell have pac looking to roach for answers, the fact cotto seems to confuse pac in the first round with his jab and boxing was quite suprising... cotto is not as disciplined as floyd and this is what cost him trying to war with pac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy jones had 7 of eight belts at LHW with the remaining one being held by DM who no one would have picked to beat Jones. Roy jones didnt HAVE to fight Tarver. And the only thing that was exposed in fighting him was that he was severely weight drained and never looked the same after dropping all that weight. These situations are completely different as Roy was so thoroughly dominant when he was on top. Floyd on the other hand has a controversial victory or JLC, a split decision against Oscar, basically floyd is much closer to his competition than Roy was. And floyd wants no part of Mosley and would actually prefer to fight PAC over shane.

PBF v PAC --- Medium risk-VERY HIGH REWARD
    PBF v SHANE--HIGH RISK--MEDIUM REWARD
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JonesJrMayweather View Post
    Roy jones had 7 of eight belts at LHW with the remaining one being held by DM who no one would have picked to beat Jones. Roy jones didnt HAVE to fight Tarver. And the only thing that was exposed in fighting him was that he was severely weight drained and never looked the same after dropping all that weight. These situations are completely different as Roy was so thoroughly dominant when he was on top. Floyd on the other hand has a controversial victory or JLC, a split decision against Oscar, basically floyd is much closer to his competition than Roy was. And floyd wants no part of Mosley and would actually prefer to fight PAC over shane.

PBF v PAC --- Medium risk-VERY HIGH REWARD
    PBF v SHANE--HIGH RISK--MEDIUM REWARD
    cant we just say 3 out of 4 belts.... the other 4 are a joke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Upped the pressure but mobility wise was much slower...U can only shut down pacmans offense for so long. Even punches to the shoulders and arms accumulate and start to hurt which will open floyd up. Hes going to get something in. Ur argument for Manny's confusion against Cotto in the first round is a good one. But I can make the same argument for both of these fighters when they fought De la hoya. Oscar had no trouble finding floyd. It wasn't the prettiest thing in the world but it was the first time I saw the makings of a mark up on Floyds face. I'm not sure if De la hoya landed 10 punches against pac man. Complete destruction.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Upped the pressure but mobility wise was much slower...U can only shut down pacmans offense for so long. Even punches to the shoulders and arms accumulate and start to hurt which will open floyd up. Hes going to get something in. Ur argument for Manny's confusion against Cotto in the first round is a good one. But I can make the same argument for both of these fighters when they fought De la hoya. Oscar had no trouble finding floyd. It wasn't the prettiest thing in the world but it was the first time I saw the makings of a mark up on Floyds face. I'm not sure if De la hoya landed 10 punches against pac man. Complete destruction.
    DLH was a ghost at 147 ... he hadnt made the weight in years... you can really compare the two, the jab of DLH gave floyd trouble ... pac doesnt really have that weapon in his arsenal

a thing that alot of the pac fans miss is that styles make fights just because pac can beat someone floyd has beat in lesser rounds or whatever it doesnt prove he can beat floyd because the way pac fights in my opinion plays right in to his hand, also he doesnt make enough adjustments mid fight for me

Thread Information