Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats the most one-sided title fight you ever saw ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Whats the most one-sided title fight you ever saw ?

I was just thinking of this the other day, it's never nice to see a fighter receive a brutal beatdown, especially in a title fight, unless of course it's one of your boys handing out the drubbing, or, it involves a fighter you just love to hate getting his ass handed to him.

We have all seen some terrible mismatches, brilliant performances, and fights where it was so one-sided it made your hair curl.

But what would you say was the most one-sided distance title fight you ever saw ?

And which one-sided title fight that didnt go the distance ?

I'll kick us off ......

The most one-sided distance Title Fight

For me this would have to be Larry Holmes against 'The far too brave for his own good' Randy 'Tex' Cobb for the WBC Heavyweight title back in 82'.

This was arguably the most brutal one-sided affair in the history of Heavyweight boxing. Holmes spent the early rounds picking Cobb off at will. The difference in talent between the two was like night and day. As the fight went on, Larry began landing some very heavy spiteful shots that became as hard to watch as they probably were to take. Cobb showed heart way beyond the call of duty. It's just a shame the officials or his own corner didnt show the heart to stop the hiding. I remember legendary commentator and Ali's well docemented buddy, Howard Cosell,retiring from the game in a protest over this mismatched affair. Cosell threatened on air to quit announcing boxing if the fight wasnt stopped. It wasnt, and Cosell never picked up the microphone again such was his disgust at how this fight had been officiated. The classic quote from Tex after 45 minutes of the worst beating you'll ever see was legendary.

He said to the referee " Come on, give me 3 more rounds and I can become the Heavyweight Champion, I dont think Larry's hands can take anymore ".

The most one-sided title fight that didnt go the distance

I think the fight that sticks in my mind the most is probably Floyd Mayweather's brutal dismantling of the late Arturo Gatti for the WBC Welterweight title.

This always looked to be a fight tailor-made for Mayweather, and it proved to live up to the early preconceptions and some. I dont think there is a boxing fan out there who wasnt in some way or another a fan of Gatti. You simply couldnt not like the heart and warrior mentality of this man. This was probably one of the reasons it made this fight so hard to watch. A complete mismatch in terms of natural skill. Floyd absolutely dazzled against a battleworn Gatti. 6 rounds was more than enough for any true fan of the sport to endure.

I remember Ricky telling me that he went up to Gatti's hotel room before the fight, and Arturo asked Rick what he thought would be the best tactics to use in this fight. Rick was pretty gobsmacked as this was only a couple of hours before Gatti entered the ring and Rick assumed he had a game plan drilled. The bottom line is there wasnt an answer to Gatti's question. It didnt exist. And the resulting 18 minutes proved that. Mayweather was simply breathtaking, a clinic of epic proportions.
    Last edited by Jimmy G-Force; 01-05-2010 at 11:13 AM.
    Some people say boxing is a matter of life or death, it's not, it's far more important than that.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Whats the most one-sided title fight you ever saw ?

Good thread/post mate

First one that springs to mind is Lacy v Calzaghe
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah i would have to agree with the holmes vs cobb pick

the tittle fight not going the distance will shock a lot here i am sure but i would go for sal sanchez vs wilfredo gomez a mtch-up between to greats but sanchez was so good he controlled the fight till the end
    think happy thoughts

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Title fight that didn't go the distance.

Clay Vs. Liston. Everyone thought Liston would be too much for the young challenger. It was a mismatch alright just not in favor of Sonny. Except for the 5th round when Clay was blind the fight was 1 sided in favor of the challenger. And when Sonny couldn't get up from his stool for the start of the 8th we had a new HW champion. This is the most impressive mismatch title fight I've ever saw, considering that Sonny was deemed invincible and this was for the sport's most coveted crown.

Title fight that went the distance.

Whitaker vs. Ramirez 2. Sweetpea gets his revenge in from the first match where it was an controversial decision for Ramirez. Sweetpea being himself just outbox the guy where from fans and observers believe it was a shutout.
    Last edited by generalbulldog; 01-05-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whittaker pissed the 1st one, it was in France and Ramirez was being promoted by the Acaris.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
    Good thread/post mate

First one that springs to mind is Lacy v Calzaghe
    Yea gotta agree with ya on this one bud, Lacy v Calzaghe was a complete shut out and brutal for any Lacy fan to watch im sure.

One that didnt go the distance, but from what i remember it was a total shut-out was Naz v Robinson. For a challenger to do what he did against a well respected champ of his time, was in my eyes remarkable.
    Hidden Content SADDO'S FIGHT NIGHT RD4 CHAMPION, TAKING ON ALL COMERS ! Hidden Content

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Calzaghe/Lacy total shutout.
    Mayweather/Baldomir total shutout.

That didn't go the distance Pacquiao/Hatton.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For me the most one sided fight as far as the scorecards go , is as follows.

Winky Wright v Felix Trinidad

The reasons are simple , both were great fighters ,Tex Cob was average ,as was Jeff Lacy , so this is why i pick Winky v Felix.
    Winky owned a great fighter that night.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post

The reasons are simple , both were great fighters ,Tex Cob was average ,as was Jeff Lacy , so this is why i pick Winky v Felix.
    Ok, then I'll throw Roy Jones Jnr's schooling of James Toney for the IBF Super-Middleweight title into that mix. Toney was regarded at the time as the baddest man on the planet and top PFP candidate. Jones toyed with him, and basically beat him like a cheeky ginger stepson.
    Last edited by Jimmy G-Force; 01-05-2010 at 02:19 PM.
    Some people say boxing is a matter of life or death, it's not, it's far more important than that.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy G-Force View Post

Ok, then I'll throw Roy Jones Jnr's schooling of James Toney for the IBF Supermiddlewight title into that mix. Toney was regarded at the time as the baddest man on the planet and top PFP candidate. Jones toyed with him, and basically beat him like a cheeky ginger stepson.
    good pick, as for most one-sided ko i guess i'd have to go with Foreman's ko of Fraizer

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know it was a mismatch beforehand but Barrera savagely punching Paul Lloyd all over the shop for three minutes springs to mind.

Although only one round, if i remember right, Lloyd had cuts over both eyes, a smashed to bits blood splattered nose, a broken eye socket and damaged ribs.

A brutal one-sided beating.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy G-Force View Post

Ok, then I'll throw Roy Jones Jnr's schooling of James Toney for the IBF Supermiddlewight title into that mix. Toney was regarded at the time as the baddest man on the planet and top PFP candidate. Jones toyed with him, and basically beat him like a cheeky ginger stepson.
    good pick, as for most one-sided ko i guess i'd have to go with Foreman's ko of Fraizer
    YES GREAT PICK .
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It wasn't a title fight, just watched it on Shobox a few years ago. Alan Green (I believe he was 21-0 at the time) vs. Jadon Codrington (before he showed up on "Contender Series") Codrington was 9-0 with 9 knockouts at the time but took way to big a step up in competition that night. Green jumped on him from the opening bell and landed about 12 power shots in a row. The fight was over in about 28 seconds. But I sat there staring at the screen in awe for another 5 minutes because I couldn't believe what had just happened.

ICB Guest

Muhammad Ali vs Ernie Terrell
    James Toney vs Iran Barkley
    Julio Cesar Chavez vs Hector Camacho
    Julio Cesar Chavez vs Greg Haugen
    Bernard Hopkins vs Felix Trinidad
    Floyd Mayweather Jr vs Diego Corrales

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mosley Vs Trinidad is a great one especially because it was not a KO it was a full out schooling for the distance.....

Lennox Lewis Vs Michael Grant

Tyson Vs Berbick

Pacquiao Vs DLH (Please leave comments out and not ruin thread)

PBF Vs Gatti

Thread Information