Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you name fighters who seemed to have lost it after winning a tough fight?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Can you name fighters who seemed to have lost it after winning a tough fight?

Fighters who seemed to have lost it after winning a tough fight

For example, Harry Arroyo became one of the most recognizable boxers on television and regularly appeared on the covers of boxing magazines in the 80‘s. In 1984, Arroyo, with fellow Youngstown native Ray Mancini, was listed among the nation's top 10 contenders by the World Boxing Association. When he beat Terrance Alli in 1985 in a savage and punishing affair, he was 25-0. He thereafter went 14-11 to finish with a 40-11 mark. Against Alli, he won the war but lost the battle.

Can you name any?

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Can you name fighters who seemed to have lost it after winning a tough fight?

Livingstone Bramble beat Ray Mancini then never really seemed to recapture that form again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Can you name fighters who seemed to have lost it after winning a tough fight?

Arron Pryor comes to mind, he won the world tittle and then shacked himself up in a dope hole in Liberty City and smoked crack for the next couple years and he never amounted to nothing after wards. And if Richard Steel doesn't stop the Chavez - Taylor fight Taylor would have won a split decision but that would not have changed the fact that the beating he took that night put a real damper on what could have been a legendary career.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by eagle View Post
    Livingstone Bramble beat Ray Mancini then never really seemed to recapture that form again.
    Well he did do it twice .Think he looked tops against capable Tyrone crawley next but Rosario damn near decapitated him.He did really over stay his welcome but still pulled a few surprises out later.

Always thought brother Gabe the much better of the two Ruelas bros but Rafael peaked in a rough title battle with Pendleton and it was essentially all down hill after....what about a Mike rossman.Bit of a poster boy after beating up Galindez for strap but revenge was harsh.Technically 1st Nelson fight a win for Fenech.Afterward,when It meant something,not so much.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle View Post
    Well he did do it twice .Think he looked tops against capable Tyrone crawley next but Rosario damn near decapitated him.He did really over stay his welcome but still pulled a few surprises out later.

Always thought brother Gabe the much better of the two Ruelas bros but Rafael peaked in a rough title battle with Pendleton and it was essentially all down hill after....what about a Mike rossman.Bit of a poster boy after beating up Galindez for strap but revenge was harsh.Technically 1st Nelson fight a win for Fenech.Afterward,when It meant something,not so much.

Rossman is a great example, indeed.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Margacheato. He was on the of the boxing scene when he beat Cotto but then... we all know.

Morales after the first Pac fight

theres two

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Camacho Sr after the Edwin Rosario fight.

It's tough to know when it's just one tough fight, or a career adding up.

Morales after the first Pac fight - well, Barrera gave him tougher fights than Pac did the first time round...

Similarly, Hagler after Mugabe was one that sprung to mind. But he'd had a shitload of fights in a long career.

Ali after the third Frazier fight.

Good thread.
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

More recently Israel Vasquez, altho he had 3 murderous fights in a row not just one.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy Jones after the 1st Antonio Tarver fight, we all know what happened after that. Diego Corrales is another one, he lost 3 straight fights after stopping JLC, and then sadly his life.
    Last edited by generalbulldog; 01-28-2010 at 04:01 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    Roy Jones after the 1st Antonio Tarver fight, we all know what happened after that. Diego Corrales is another one, he lost 3 straight fights after stopping JLC, and then sadly his life.

Yep, Corrales is one that everybody has missed, and he should be fresh in our minds. Neither he or Castillo was the same after that. I don't see how you could expect either of them to be - what a fight.
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post

Yep, Corrales is one that everybody has missed, and he should be fresh in our minds. Neither he or Castillo was the same after that. I don't see how you could expect either of them to be - what a fight.
    Yeah, I totally agree. Neither Corrales or Castillo were the same after their first fight. They both were pretty much shot after that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy didnt take too much punishment in the first Tarver fight. It was a battle for him to lose the weight to make the fight. It caught up to him in the rematch

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bowe was never the same fighter after the first Holyfield fight and he certainly wasn't the same after their second.
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Taylor after Hopkins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miron_lang View Post
    Taylor after Hopkins
    You beat me to it! Taylor seemed to lose everything after fighting Hopkins that 2nd time, he just seemed to hit a wall.

Thread Information