Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Anthony Mundine and the Super Six

Hey guys just wondering what your thoughts are on if Anthony Mundine was still a SMW would he be good enough to be in the Super Six, who's place he would've taken (if so), and how he'd go?

I don't want to talk about the Anthony Mundine who lgot ko'd by Sven Ottke or the Anthony Mundine who lost to Kessler but the Anthony Mundine who learnt a helluva lot from that fight and vastly improved to beat/ko Sam Soliman...

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Anthony Mundine and the Super Six

Would Mundine risk himself fighting these top fighters? Don't think so.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Totally agree...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mundine can barely beat an egg at top class level !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok so it is debateable how "world class" Danny Green and Sam Soliman are, even throw in an Antwun Echols who got a shot at B-Hop twice, but do u really reckon those guys were "eggs"?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know almost no one (maybe no one at all) agrees with me here, but I really think if Mundine had dedicated himself to the sport and had fought better competition he could have proven himself to be an elite fighter. He was doing very well against Otke (especially given his experience at the time) before he was stopped and he gave Kessler all he could handle as well. He just doesn't have the heart or the desire or whatever to test himself against top competition, but I really think he could have been a special fighter if he had decided to do so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dude I agree with you 100% and that's what's so dam frustrating about being a fan of his... You see all his potential, but no fruits coz he has no labour...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Themantonio View Post
    Ok so it is debateable how "world class" Danny Green and Sam Soliman are, even throw in an Antwun Echols who got a shot at B-Hop twice, but do u really reckon those guys were "eggs"?
    I give him full credit for his win over Danny Green, what has he done since? his win over Green was almost 4 years ago, he has fought cab drivers, doormen and i'm sure his people have called out Morgan Freeman!
    Mundine has had the opportunity for a mega fight in the US against a number of opponents since the Green win yet all we see him do is fight bum after bum, he underestimated Geale and now won't go near him again. I don't think Anthony Mundine can beat any top 10 fighter in any division he chooses to fight in (he doesn't appear to even know that) Time has run out for the 'Man'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE THIRD MAN View Post
    I give him full credit for his win over Danny Green, what has he done since? his win over Green was almost 4 years ago, he has fought cab drivers, doormen and i'm sure his people have called out Morgan Freeman!
    Mundine has had the opportunity for a mega fight in the US against a number of opponents since the Green win yet all we see him do is fight bum after bum, he underestimated Geale and now won't go near him again. I don't think Anthony Mundine can beat any top 10 fighter in any division he chooses to fight in (he doesn't appear to even know that) Time has run out for the 'Man'

Few things u mentioned that I'd like to respond to, first bold point. The Anthony Mundine who beat Danny Green then anihilated the same Sam Soliman who gave Winky a torrid affair is the Anthony Mundine I'm questioning in my original thread. I wanted to know where you guys rated that Anthony Mundine against the SMW's of today...

Seond bolded point (and by no means a questioning attack), which mega fights in the US are you talking about after Choc beat Green? And are their any archived articles you've got to back that statement up? I know a while back he had a fight in the US lined up against Miguel Espino but it fell through, can't remember why tho... I read an interview in our own Fist publication, Nov 09 edition where even RJJ said that Choc had been out in the states trying to get a fight out there and no one was really willing to give him a chance.

Third bolded point, I still believe the Anthony Mundine of today still has the skill set and ability to beat any top 10 fighter in MW or SMW, but like what CFH had said earlier and even Master questioned, does Mundine have the heart and/or desire to compete against these guys at the top level? You maybe right on one thing tho, maybe time has run out for "The Man"... (I still think he got like two good years left in him tho haahha)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Few things u mentioned that I'd like to respond to, first bold point. The Anthony Mundine who beat Danny Green then anihilated the same Sam Soliman who gave Winky a torrid affair is the Anthony Mundine I'm questioning in my original thread. I wanted to know where you guys rated that Anthony Mundine against the SMW's of today...

Seond bolded point (and by no means a questioning attack), which mega fights in the US are you talking about after Choc beat Green? And are their any archived articles you've got to back that statement up? I know a while back he had a fight in the US lined up against Miguel Espino but it fell through, can't remember why tho... I read an interview in our own Fist publication, Nov 09 edition where even RJJ said that Choc had been out in the states trying to get a fight out there and no one was really willing to give him a chance.

Third bolded point, I still believe the Anthony Mundine of today still has the skill set and ability to beat any top 10 fighter in MW or SMW, but like what CFH had said earlier and even Master questioned, does Mundine have the heart and/or desire to compete against these guys at the top level? You maybe right on one thing tho, maybe time has run out for "The Man"... (I still think he got like two good years left in him tho haahha)
    After the Green fight he should have been based in the USA for at least a year, this is where the big fights are and where you make your name. He was at 168lb, then goes to 160lb, now he wants to fight at 154lb? This makes it a little difficult to line up opponents i would think. At that point in his career i agree with you, he was a genuine top 10 fighter on the verge of possibly winning a genuine world title and not some belt from a weeties packet.
    There was no need to fight Soliman a 3rd time after he beat him so easily the 2nd time, apart from Geale he has fought no one even remotely good. Age has caught up with him, indecision about what weight he should fight and the preservation of his record will result in Mundine just ambling along as he has done for the past 4 years. I have never seen such a waste of boxing talent, if he wants to fight at 154 or 160lb then throw down the gauntlet to Paul Williams?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After the Green fight he should have been based in the USA for at least a year, this is where the big fights are and where you make your name. He was at 168lb, then goes to 160lb, now he wants to fight at 154lb? This makes it a little difficult to line up opponents i would think. At that point in his career i agree with you, he was a genuine top 10 fighter on the verge of possibly winning a genuine world title and not some belt from a weeties packet.
    There was no need to fight Soliman a 3rd time after he beat him so easily the 2nd time, apart from Geale he has fought no one even remotely good. Age has caught up with him, indecision about what weight he should fight and the preservation of his record will result in Mundine just ambling along as he has done for the past 4 years. I have never seen such a waste of boxing talent, if he wants to fight at 154 or 160lb then throw down the gauntlet to Paul Williams?
    Dude Williams won't fight Choc! Mundine's basically an unknown (and I dare say high risk/low reward fight) in the US. Plus I doubt Choc would fight Williams either, I mean s**t I don't even think Pavlik wants a bar of Williams atm...

ICB Guest

Anthony Mundine is a very good fighter, but sadly he didn't build upon his 2nd win over Sam Soliman or his win over Danny Green. He should of been fighting the big names, but sadly he chose to fight cab drivers and Sam Soliman for a 3rd time. And now moving down in weight ? i mean what the hell seriously.

Anthony Mundine will for certain go down as a wasted talent, he has some very good attributes. But he's wasted them on the wrong opponents. I really don't know much about Anthony Mundine outside the ring, but i think he's made some horrible choices inside the ring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    I know almost no one (maybe no one at all) agrees with me here, but I really think if Mundine had dedicated himself to the sport and had fought better competition he could have proven himself to be an elite fighter. He was doing very well against Otke (especially given his experience at the time) before he was stopped and he gave Kessler all he could handle as well. He just doesn't have the heart or the desire or whatever to test himself against top competition, but I really think he could have been a special fighter if he had decided to do so.

Agree totally, he is too F****d up to realise what he has pissed away. He just wants to be controversial and talk about racism and his 'brothers' etc. It's a shame because not many on here may know but he was a top grade rugbly league player and switched to boxing, the guy has so much God given talent and that's why we get the shits with him.

Would he be good enough, yes almost definitely , would he apply himself, no because he hasn't so far.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dude Williams won't fight Choc! Mundine's basically an unknown (and I dare say high risk/low reward fight) in the US. Plus I doubt Choc would fight Williams either, I mean s**t I don't even think Pavlik wants a bar of Williams atm...
    And herein lies the problem, had he moved to the US and capitlised on his Green win he may well have fought Pavlik or Williams by now. Instead he is relatively unknown and is of no financial value to those fighters. What a waste.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mundine has never been the same since 1 punch knockout artist Sven Ottke knocked him out
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Thread Information