Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pavlik agrees to fight martinez!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default pavlik agrees to fight martinez!

dont know if its been posted but kelly pavlik has just agreed to fight sergio martinez on april 17th in alantic city new jersey.

here is a short summary frm tim harrison

by Tim Harrison

WBC and WBO middleweight champion Kelly “The Ghost” Pavlik (36-1, 32 KO) has reached an agreement to fight WBC jr. middleweight champion Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez (44-2-2, 24 KO). The bout is set to take place on April 17, from the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey. HBO will air the fight as part of a double header, co-featuring IBF super middleweight champion Lucian Bute’s title defense against wild slugger Edison Miranda.
    Since winning the middleweight crown from Jermain Taylor in 2007, Pavlik has left much to be desired. He fought an immediate rematch with Taylor in the super middleweight division, albeit at a 166-pound catchweight. He then beat up two punching bags with gloves, in Gary Lockett and Marco Antonio Rubio, with a humiliating defeat to 43-year old Bernard Hopkins in a 170-pound fight sandwiched in between.
    Pavlik, like Martinez, was impressive in his last outing. After a ten month layoff he thrashed “Contender” Alumnus Miguel Espino in 5 rounds. Martinez fought to a controversial twelve round decision loss with Paul Williams in his last outing, opening many eyes in the process. Despite losing by close margins on two cards and a ridiculous 8 points on a third, Martinez has already seen the benefits of his hard work pay off.
    Martinez may be the most dangerous opponent for Pavlik since assuming the place as the middleweight kingpin. His volume punching and movement are sure to cause problems for the straight forward, one-two punching Pavlik. But like any great puncher, Pavlik can turn the tide with one solid connect. Expect fireworks in this fight.
    Pavlik’s promoter, Bob Arum is expected to make a formal announcement of the fight within the next few weeks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: pavlik agrees to fight martinez!

I'd say Martinez has a good chin so 2D Pavlik for me gets thouroughly outboxed by Martinez. Anyone agree? Disagree?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Believe it when I see it....Pavliks a coward and will find a way for this fight never to happen.

Job Biscuit (If this does happen Martinez will do a number on him)!!!

eh eh!!
    It's nice to see you to see you nice

El Kabong Guest

Kelly Pavlik is all done....Sergio is too quick and too slick for Pavlik to handle. I wouldn't even be surprised if Sergio stopped him

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sergio just took Paul Williams to the limit, Pavlik has one punch power but his style is in a way similar to the one punch style of Cintron, and we all saw what Martinez did to Cintron. Martinez should win this one hands down but Pavlik as is the case with all punchers can win this with one shot but then again so can Martinez and he is the better boxer
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Otley View Post
    Believe it when I see it....Pavliks a coward and will find a way for this fight never to happen.

eh eh!!
    I've got a sneaky feeling that Pavlik's hand is being forced on this one. Fight a top fighter or relinquish the belts, and to be honest, if he has to give up the belts, he has no shout for a title shot or anything for me. He now needs the belt more than ever as when its gone, i say he'll pale into the background as quick as he contracted his staph infection........

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've read a few reports on this fight being a done deal with Bute vs. Miranda in a split feed co-feature.

Kelly Pavlik vs. Sergio Martinez Terms Reached For 4/17 - Boxing News

What has surprised me is that the majority believe Martinez will outbox him and stop him. I like Pavlik's style but I think he's reached his ceiling and I think his team know this, or they would have put him in with Abraham or Williams before now. Pre-Hopkins, I think Arum believed his man was the second coming of Tommy Hearns. Now, he'll milk him for all he's worth. I think this is an interesting fight, but I wouldn't count Pavlik out. He does have numbing power and his chin should hold up throughout this fight. At least he's taken a challenge against a live body, so for now I won't hate on him anymore than I previously have.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by themacmagician View Post

eh eh!!
    I've got a sneaky feeling that Pavlik's hand is being forced on this one. Fight a top fighter or relinquish the belts, and to be honest, if he has to give up the belts, he has no shout for a title shot or anything for me. He now needs the belt more than ever as when its gone, i say he'll pale into the background as quick as he contracted his staph infection........
    His hand isn't now being forced by the sanctioning bodies because he satisfied his mandatory by fighting his last fight. From what I gather, he didn't want to fight that fight because of the staph infection, but they would have stripped him of his belts if he didn't.

I bet two things happened. One, Pavlik himself wants big money fights after a dismal 2009 as does HBO who won't continue to give him big dates if he doesn't face top-level challenges. Martinez satisfies that. Two, Pavlik knows he will have to move up in weight soon and putting him against Martinez on a split feed with Bute sets up a big fight with Bute in the late summer.

eh eh!!
    That is a completely ridiculous statement. You must be bitter about Pavlik failing to fight Williams. Pavlik had a poor 2009. No doubt about it, but he is no coward. I don't need to point out that he fought Miranda immediately after Miranda had broken Abraham's jaw; he fought Taylor who had never been beat and was the middleweight champion of the world; and, he went up ten pounds to fight p4p Bernard Hopkins. After all that, how is it possible that he is a coward?

Is he not a coward if he beats Martinez?
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 02-09-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sergio is doing the right things with his career. It's refreshing to see.

The Cintron bullshit could of ruined his career. Even the Williams fight to some extent? That's two on the spin..!

Clottey and Martinez are my heroes
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboogie View Post
    Sergio is doing the right things with his career. It's refreshing to see.

The Cintron bullshit could of ruined his career. Even the Williams fight to some extent? That's two on the spin..!

Clottey and Martinez are my heroes
    I hear you on that. He knocks Cintron out and then beats Williams and comes out with a draw and a loss. I am a big Martinez fan too and I won't like seeing Pavlik or Martinez lose. Hopefully, it is a helluva fight and lands them good fights in the future.
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 02-09-2010 at 01:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by themacmagician View Post

eh eh!!
    His hand isn't now being forced by the sanctioning bodies because he satisfied his mandatory by fighting his last fight. From what I gather, he didn't want to fight that fight because of the staph infection, but they would have stripped him of his belts if he didn't.

I bet two things happened. One, Pavlik himself wants big money fights after a dismal 2009 as does HBO who won't continue to give him big dates if he doesn't face top-level challenges. Martinez satisfies that. Two, Pavlik knows he will have to move up in weight soon and putting him against Martinez on a split feed with Bute sets up a big fight with Bute in the late summer.

eh eh!!
    That is a completely ridiculous statement. You must be referring to failure of Pavlik to fight Williams. Pavlik had a poor 2009. No doubt about it, but he is no coward. I don't need to point out that he fought Miranda immediately after Miranda had broken Abraham's jaw; he fought Taylor who had never been beat and was the middleweight champion of the world; and, he went up ten pounds to fight p4p Bernard Hopkins. After all that, how is it possible that he is a coward?

Exactley To call Kelly a coward is just stupid. One failed fight because of a fucked up hand does not make your a coward. I keep hearing nothing but praise about Martinez. He is a good fighter but slightly overrated in my mind still. He should have gotten a win against Cintron and looked decent doing it but Cintron has already been easily beaten twice by Margarito. He had all he could handle against Williams and LOST and now he is moving up into Pavlik's territory of middleweight. Martinez is a blown up welterweight as is. I think he will be slick at first but will easily tire just as he did in the Williams fight but this time get stopped. Pavlik by TKO in 10.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Overrated

Obviously, you don't think much of Margarito
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

ICB Guest

If Antonio Margarito can beat the stuffing out of Sergio Martinez, then Kelly Pavlik has a chance. Paul Williams isn't really a big puncher especially at the higher weightclasses. And i just think Sergio Martinez's style was tailor made to look good against Paul Williams, seeing as how Paul Williams lost to Carlos Quintana another slick Southpaw.

I think Sergio Martinez is a good fighter, but i think he gets a bit overrated on this board. Yes he beat Kermit Cintron but again i don't think much of Kermit Cintron, and he looked good against a good journeyman in Alex Bunema. And he had a good showing against Paul Williams, but again see above what i said about that fight.

But i just don't think Sergio Martinez is as good as some people claim, and i think Kelly Pavlik has a chance to stop Sergio Martinez. Who's defense at times is pretty poor, Kelly Pavlik has a very good straight right hand. Which is a southpaw's weakness, and he has good power. Remind me how many times as Sergio Martinez fought at Middleweight ?

And Kelly Pavlik also puts the pressure on for the full 12 rounds, and as i said if Antonio Margarito can stop Sergio Martinez, who technically isn't even as good as Kelly Pavlik, then i wouldn't be shocked if Kelly Pavlik done the samething. Considering there both similar in the fact they both, put alot of pressure on. And Sergio Martinez wilted against Antonio Margarito.

Finally i've got nothing against Sergio Martinez, and maybe im being a bit harsh on him. But im just not that high on him personally, and im still a fan of Kelly Pavlik. So i'll be rooting for him all the way, but i wouldn't be disappointed if Sergio Martinez won.
    Last edited by ICB; 02-09-2010 at 02:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Martinez alot and I'm a big Pavlik fan even after 2009. He needs to clean up his bullshit outside the ring but other then that he is still the man at 160.

I was rather disappointed with his 2009 showing but I'm sure he was as well. I'll say that Kelly is a decent boxer that has trouble with slick guys. Taylor boxed with him in their second fight but he's not slick. Hopkins movement and getting off first froze him the whole fight(granted it was at 175)

I think this is going to be a very telling fight for Pavlik. Sergio is slick, quick and has a bit of pop. He also always shows up to fight and is well conditioned. This is probably not a great fight for Kelly to take in terms of risk/reward but it'll be good for the fans... and after all that's what boxing is about.

As I'm fans of both guys, I'm gonna say that Martinez wins a narrow split decision in a good contest.
    Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm still soured he didn't make the Williams fight happen. Paul did everything he was supposed to and I think he deserved a bigger piece of the pie considering he was in one of the best fights of the year last year.

Thread Information