Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default jab step

When im stepping in with my jab i usually tend to take a diagonal step forward/left as opposed to a straight step.I find that because this takes me off line it gives me a good angle for the left hook to the body,Now as this is one of my favourite combinations i probably tend to do it this way nearly all the time.
    So should i also be stepping straight forward sometimes staying on line if i dont intend to throw the left hook,Maybee for a jab,cross for instance ? Although having said that i do find i get good power in my cross with the diagonal step.
    I guess what im saying really is there different steps for different situations either diagonal or straight forward ?
    Last edited by cocobeware; 02-11-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: jab step

Other people are probably going to help and explain more than I will right now, but I'd say do what you feel comfortable doing, and be damn good at it, everything in boxing has it's ups and downs in terms of advantages and disadvantages etc. So I say, do what you feel is right. Then the results will show, and you should develop your own style from there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: jab step

Hey Coco

The big plus here is that you are distinguishing between the move forward and the diagonal move. I suppose in the end it's about what your intention is. If you are seeking to deliver left hooks to the body, then a diagonal movement forward works well (although you are closing a lot of ground in a single movement and you are doing this in the primary hit zone for an orthodox opponent). To reduce the risk of taking a big right hand, try an inside slip (to your left) as you attack a la Mike Tyson! On the issue of the right cross, remember that a very significant amount of work in both amateur and pro codes is done at long range, seeking to 'soften' up the opponent and create openings for the big hooks and uppercuts...so make sure that your 'one-twos' are as good as they can possibly be. 95% of what champions do are the basics, they just do them very well!

Good luck champ

Fran

Thread Information