Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default forward and backward shifting

Ive been experimenting with forward shifting atleast thats what i think its called and i find i can use a simple 1-1-2 shift stance for a left cross then switch stance back with a left jab and finishing with another jab, ive been using this combo to push fighters back into the corner if they are prone to just backing off whenever they think i will attack, it seems to work well for me and i switch the left cross with a left hook to the body to vary it its a nice little combo i find for being able to vary the target from head to body with each punch and mixing things up, however i mainly train alone unless im sparring so its hard to practice drills like these unless i miss with a few of the first punches and then come into range of the bag or whatever im hitting for the last few which is what i do at the moment, or i just shadow box the combo, i was just wondering im sure there are lots of effective ways to shift stance when it comes to either moving forward or backward i think the name for it is forward shifting but im not sure to be honest i was just wondering if anyone else has any good combinations using these ''shifts'' and maybe a better way or at least a bit different way of driling them? and one extra thing is when i do these shifts i seem to be more on balance if i keep the new rear foot (left foot) heel down, if i try to raise the heel slightly on my left foot from the unorthadox stance like i would in my usual orthadox stance it makes me really off balance
    Last edited by WayneFlint; 02-22-2010 at 10:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: forward and backward shifting

Hey Wayne

I think I know what you mean, you've done very well explaining it in terms that someone as short on brains as I am can understand. I would err on the side of caution in terms of switching during a direct attack (I've never heard of the description 'front-shifting'), not unless your opponent is really badly hurt and is thinking of only covering up/running away/falling down. That's not to say I'd rule it out, it's just very high risk and you should be aware of this. Switching on the back foot is a much safer option and no less effective.

Having said all that, you seemed to just want a bit of advice in terms of developing this style of attack and not a bunch of incoherent babble that I seem to have bestowed upon you! Working with a coach on the pads would obviously be the best method of developing the technique. In the absence of this, just think about the mirrors during shadow boxing. Look at potential gaps (e.g. is your left hand dropping on the attack or vice versa). I'd also stick with with straight shots (which you seem to favour), as throwing hooks when you are transitioning from orthodox to southpaw whilst on the attack would be tempting faith I wreckon!

Keep on challenging convention Wayne, even if you only try this once during a bout, and it works, then it's worth it. Always be aware of the risks though!!!

Take it easy

Fran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the reply, yeh it seemed to me that the straight shots are going to be the safest and probably easiest, like you said its a good move to chase someone down with to finish them off, sometimes i use it when ive got them scared of the solar plexus jab and when theyre used to me feinting the jab and throwing a straight right to the head as often at that stage the fighters ive come up against usually just start backing off at the sign of attack i use the 1-1-2 switch left cross- switch left jab and then if they get out of the corner and are still backing up when i approach ill try switching the left cross with a hook and try and catch them on the slight angle it can create, keeping in mind the fighters ive used this with arent the greatest of boxers, im pretty sure there are other little combos like this out there that people may use i wouldnt mind some ideas for a bit of variation, i realise this combo is a bit primative and when i come against better opponents may not be somthing that ill use in every fight but as of now i can get away with it. but ive yet to have anyone feint me into the combo and sidestep on me which i realise is quite a simple thing that could mean catching a nasty right hand from the angle, i was just wondering you said moving back with it could be safer, i agree but i tend to be off balance when trying to switch stance with a cross backwards it seems more balanced for me to move back switching with hooks, thanks again for reply, im just trying to get some ideas rolling is all

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've seen Willie Pep do a cool move where he moves laterally to his left to avoid an opponents attack. Once the opponent has been drawn he'll throw an overhand left while still in his new southpaw stance. This is difficult to defend against not just because it come from a new stance and angle but because it catches the opponent coming in square. It's similar to the leaping straight right SRL and Hopkins use after moving laterally to their right except that Pep generates alot more leverage and has a larger target to legally hit.

Thread Information