Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Why does Roy Jones continue to box?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why does Roy Jones continue to box?

When he was in his prime he did not seem to be a guy exactly in love with his sport.

So why is he fighting on and losing when he must have a good few million in the bank.
    Balls

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why does Roy Jones continue to box?

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post
    When he was in his prime he did not seem to be a guy exactly in love with his sport.

So why is he fighting on and losing when he must have a good few million in the bank.
    I don't understand the argument of he has money so he doesn't need/want any more. In his mind this is the biggest payday he could have right now.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"You All Musta Forgot"...the reason is it's rumored he lost millions of dollars trying to get his "hip hop" career & record lable on track. He needs the dollars...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jdonaher1 View Post
    "You All Musta Forgot"...the reason is it's rumored he lost millions of dollars trying to get his "hip hop" career & record lable on track. He needs the dollars...

Thank you.

That makes sense.
    Balls

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ego and thinking he is peter pan and time does not move for him.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If my research is correct Roy has several avenues of income. He has a record label (albeit not very big) He was also (not sure if he still is) a proffesional basketball player in Canada. And if i'm not mistaken he dabbles a little in boxing promotions (behind the scenes ofcourse). As for the question by the poster, I'm not sure why he keeps doing this. He has all but destroyed how he could have been remembered. I really wish he would stop because I'm not sure I even think of him as a legend anymore. If you would have asked me that 3 or 4 years ago (even with the Tarver losses) I would have answered different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Because being a boxer is something much more than a way to make money or just an activity to do...its like a drug that gets deep within you...I personally know many fighters in their 40's who would take a fight again for little money just so they can feel the feeling again...once its gone, its gone and fighters dont want to lose that feeling inside them...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 15rounder View Post
    If my research is correct Roy has several avenues of income. He has a record label (albeit not very big) He was also (not sure if he still is) a proffesional basketball player in Canada. And if i'm not mistaken he dabbles a little in boxing promotions (behind the scenes ofcourse). As for the question by the poster, I'm not sure why he keeps doing this. He has all but destroyed how he could have been remembered. I really wish he would stop because I'm not sure I even think of him as a legend anymore. If you would have asked me that 3 or 4 years ago (even with the Tarver losses) I would have answered different.
    Well his "record company" (Body Head Entertainment) has released 2 CD's in 9 years and has MysSace page, He played basketball for a semi-pro team in Florida (United States Basketball League's Jacksonville Barracudas) in 1996, mostly riding the bench. I don't see much income from either of those.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I believe he thinks he's still the old Roy when he steps in the ring. Probably thinking, "That was a lucky shot" that he got hit with his last fight. It's like most athletes who stick around beyond their prime, they believe they got that last great one left in them.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

RJJ was never a massive PPV moneymaker so it's not like he has a hundred million to start with. He may have decided to get really wealthy investing in surefire busineses like records and boxing promotion, because everybody knows that champion boxers always make great businessmen outside the ring. Hopefully he didn't lose too much and he's not another Holyfield.

I'm wondering if the same thing didn't happen to Floyd. Floyd did have tens of millions but Mayweather Promotions, run by the business brain dream team of Floyd and Ellerbe, decided to go into promoting music concerts too. They started with a big splash to let people know they were playas and were promoting a Beyonce US tour at the same time as the recession hit badly. They would have had to put up enormous guarantees to sign Beyonce and may have lost tens of millions. Not that I have a clue what happened for certain, just guessing, but the possibility exists that Floyd blew his dough. It would certainly explain ppeople trying to repossess his cars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jdonaher1 View Post
    I think this is more then a rumor. He entirely self financed his rap career. He put all the money up for the videos and the money to have the CDs made. And it is no secrete that he lost ALOT of money on this endeavor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the age old story id guess..

unbeaten fighter thinks the world is his oyster as he rakes in those million dollar paychecks and believes he`ll be able to command the same lavish lifestyle even once he is nothing more than a glorified punchbag.

If RJJ had had a better understanding of money he would of been able to retire the night johnson whooped him
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Thread Information