Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whatever happened to Thomas Daamgaard ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Whatever happened to Thomas Daamgaard ?

I remember 5 years ago Arturo Gatti fought him at weltwerweight and beat him but I never saw or heard about him after that.

He was never anything special but I figure he could have made a good fight with Alfonzo Gomez or Jesse Feliciano or Delvin Rodriguez or those type of fighters.

Anyone know?
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Whatever happened to Thomas Daamgaard ?

Gatti was well over the hill at that time, and was never world class anyway, god rest his sole, so for Daamgaard, that was probably a right kick in the teeth, knowing he couldn't beat anyone better..... Psychologically that probably really hurts I'd say.....

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by themacmagician View Post
    Gatti was well over the hill at that time, and was never world class anyway, god rest his sole, so for Daamgaard, that was probably a right kick in the teeth, knowing he couldn't beat anyone better..... Psychologically that probably really hurts I'd say.....
    True.

I believe Daamgaard was undefeated or close to it when he faced Gatti.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Damgaard was kept away from anyone with a pulse his whole career. Then his promoter cashed him like a human cheque against Gatti when T.D. started to show signs of old age. Not Damgaard's fault really, that's just how boxing works in Denmark.
    To the brave belong all things.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If I am correct, he retired, took one more fight after the Gatti against a nobody to end up his career on a victory and called it a day.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dadi Astthorsson View Post
    Damgaard was kept away from anyone with a pulse his whole career. Then his promoter cashed him like a human cheque against Gatti when T.D. started to show signs of old age. Not Damgaard's fault really, that's just how boxing works in Denmark.
    That's actually quite pathetic!

I remember this name from back when i first really (i mean really) started to get into boxing. It's funny how names just drop out of your head over time but I defo remember thinking this guy was a serious contender.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In Denmark, one promoter pretty much had hegemony and had a steady TV deal for years. All he had to do was fill a fight card regularly and money would keep streaming in. From the promoter's point of view there was no point in looking elsewhere. This is changing now as the promoter is very old and that TV deal - I think - has dried out.

A lot of these guys were actually quite good, but were never developed to their full potential. Mads Larsen, for example, was a much better talent than Mikkel Kessler, but had problems with that same promoter and his career was pretty much ruined. Compared to him, Kessler is just a really tough guy with a great work ethic. The promoter put in Kessler to replace Larsen against Manny Siaca when Larsen pulled out with an injury. This cost Larsen his title shot and obviously didn't make him very happy.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow this is incredibly random! If I remember correctly he was completely dominated and then stopped by Gatti. So when Gatti does that to you THAT LATE in his career, I think its time for you to call it a day!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm just looking at his record now. I can't recognize one damn name apart from Gatti. And the guy he fought right before Gatti was 2-6!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He has always been a fraud, with a padded record made to look good. Gatti wrecked him, although he didnt have much before Gatti.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Khalid Rahilou, Greg Haugen, Philip Holiday, Alessandro Duran, Wilfredo Ruiz and Rocky Martinez are not complete unknowns if you've followed the game closely long enough. Obviously not there to win at that point in their careers though! Holiday is probably Damgaard's best win, even with Holiday making a leap up in weight.

I wouldn't call Damgaard a fraud. You have to realize the type of mindset Danish fighters have, especially pre-Kessler. They are quite content to be small and insignificant and as long as they are somebody at home. They are not even really overprotected since they do not really participate in boxing outside Denmark. Their world is no larger than the local circuit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Khalid Rahilou, Greg Haugen, Philip Holiday, Alessandro Duran, Wilfredo Ruiz and Rocky Martinez are not complete unknowns if you've followed the game closely long enough. Obviously not there to win at that point in their careers though! Holiday is probably Damgaard's best win, even with Holiday making a leap up in weight.

I wouldn't call Damgaard a fraud. You have to realize the type of mindset Danish fighters have, especially pre-Kessler. They are quite content to be small and insignificant and as long as they are somebody at home. They are not even really overprotected since they do not really participate in boxing outside Denmark. Their world is no larger than the local circuit.
    I'ld call him a fraud. Name another half decent fighter he's fought bar Gatti. In like what 40 fights. You're Scandinavian, your bound to be biased, face it he was never any good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by themacmagician View Post
    True.

I believe Daamgaard was undefeated or close to it when he faced Gatti.

Yeah he was undefeated...something like 40-0 or close to it....I remember when the fight was signed thinking "Who the hell is this guy and why have I not seem him fight?" I mean with a record like that you would expect to at least to have seen him on ESPN!!!!!

Now I use him as an example on how padded and deceiving an undefeated record can be...If you ever seen his resume his opp is horrible

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah but come on really now it is not like the version of Haugen that faced Chavez sr is the one he beat...

I agree though and understand about the fighters happy to be a big name at home and no where else......Why not be a big fish in a small pond..

But disagree with the statement about the mindset of Danish fighters pre Kessler...I mean there have been some quality champions from Denmark over the years..

Johny and Jimmi Bredahl, Battling Nelson, Mange Havnaa was from close by Norway he was a decent cruiserweight in the 80's and early 90's just to name a couple

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Daamgard was just another overprotected European fighter who got exposed the first time he stepped it up. That english bloke who fought Cotto a couple of fights back was the same.

What amazes me is how these guys (or more appropriately their management) can get them ranked high enough by the alphabet boys to qualify for a mandatory shot. It beggars belief - obviously someone is getting a kickback somewhere...

You guys remember Patrick Charpentier who fought DLH for a welterweight strap? French bloke - looked like it was the first time he'd ever seen a fucking boxing ring he was that bad
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Thread Information