0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: James Toney signs multi fight deal with the UFC

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu View Post

mayorga...toney

no doubt white will put the spin on this and tell all that boxers are now joining the revolution completely ignoring the fact both guys peaked years ago

once they are inevitably both knocked out white will again claim victory in that it`ll somehow prove how martial arts is the superior sport
    That's his plan! Otherwise he'd be trying to get someone with really good wheels who could circle away from all the takedowns and clinches and could fire lighning bolts everytime the opponent comes forward with that gay stance from the outside thus ending with the MMA guy unconcious. But no he'll just go for stand still and roll the shoulders James Toney. White is a tosser who pretends he like boxing, the guy doesn't even know Juan Manuel Marquez's name. How is that a boxing fan??
    It kills me when UFC fans state how theyre sport is superior because you can work the legs etc

The sport is essentially full of guys who failed to make it as a boxer hence the reason they do this sport. What the fuck do you think would happen to brock lesnar if he ever got in the ring with a klitschko or if couture fought calzaghe.

Every single UFC fighter of note at some point has dreamed of being a boxer because this is still the millionaire making sport. If you offered mayweather, mosley, pacquiao $70,000 dollars for a fight they`d laugh at you in the face. Ive no probs with dana white trying to compete and lets face it he does a far superior job of promoting UFC than anything boxing can possibly offer.

But this whole mixed martial arts is the superior sport thing has got to stop. Just ask couture, silva etc if theyve ever tried to become a boxer and whether they honestly believe they could go toe to toe with a second or 3rd rate fighter and not get banged out within 20seconds
    Exactly. Anderson Silva found out the hard way when he tried boxing!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jack of all trades, master of.....

Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was very 'Scrap-esque' of me
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

mayorga...toney

no doubt white will put the spin on this and tell all that boxers are now joining the revolution completely ignoring the fact both guys peaked years ago

once they are inevitably both knocked out white will again claim victory in that it`ll somehow prove how martial arts is the superior sport
    That's his plan! Otherwise he'd be trying to get someone with really good wheels who could circle away from all the takedowns and clinches and could fire lighning bolts everytime the opponent comes forward with that gay stance from the outside thus ending with the MMA guy unconcious. But no he'll just go for stand still and roll the shoulders James Toney. White is a tosser who pretends he like boxing, the guy doesn't even know Juan Manuel Marquez's name. How is that a boxing fan??
    It kills me when UFC fans state how theyre sport is superior because you can work the legs etc

The sport is essentially full of guys who failed to make it as a boxer hence the reason they do this sport.What the fuck do you think would happen to brock lesnar if he ever got in the ring with a klitschko or if couture fought calzaghe.

Every single UFC fighter of note at some point has dreamed of being a boxer because this is still the millionaire making sport. If you offered mayweather, mosley, pacquiao $70,000 dollars for a fight they`d laugh at you in the face. Ive no probs with dana white trying to compete and lets face it he does a far superior job of promoting UFC than anything boxing can possibly offer.

But this whole mixed martial arts is the superior sport thing has got to stop. Just ask couture, silva etc if theyve ever tried to become a boxer and whether they honestly believe they could go toe to toe with a second or 3rd rate fighter and not get banged out within 20seconds
    Lol, your ignorance holds no boundries.

For the record, an MMA fighter is a far more dangerous proposition to face than a boxer. These guys arent boxers, they are martial artists, and now multi-dimentional. Of course they dont have the striking abilities of boxers, but they can punch, they can kick, they wrestle, they can grapple, they can submit. They can basically kick ass in every area possible.

Go and Youtube Cain Valesquez's recent KO of Nogueria at UFC 110 and tell me that 3 punch combination wasnt beautifully tight, crisp and short. And this is from a guy who excels in wrestling and smashing your face in once he gets you to the ground. It was very impressive indeed.
    Some people say boxing is a matter of life or death, it's not, it's far more important than that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm yet to see any UFC fighter with anywhere close to half decent boxing skills.

It's not hard to look like a good puncher when you're Ko'ing a guy with with even worse skill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy G-Force View Post

The sport is essentially full of guys who failed to make it as a boxer hence the reason they do this sport.What the fuck do you think would happen to brock lesnar if he ever got in the ring with a klitschko or if couture fought calzaghe.

For the record, an MMA fighter is a far more dangerous proposition to face than a boxer. These guys arent boxers, they are martial artists, and now multi-dimentional. Of course they dont have the striking abilities of boxers, but they can punch, they can kick, they wrestle, they can grapple, they can submit. They can basically kick ass in every area possible.

Go and Youtube Cain Valesquez's recent KO of Nogueria at UFC 110 and tell me that 3 punch combination wasnt beautifully tight, crisp and short. And this is from a guy who excels in wrestling and smashing your face in once he gets you to the ground. It was very impressive indeed.

If you swapped the pay of both sports and mixed martial artists were earning millions of dollars dont you think the likes of floyd mayweather and bernard hopkins wouldnt just jump over to that?

And if they did they would no doubt own every single division and once agan the white frat boys who cant take getting beat f*ck out of would simply devise ANOTHER contact sport that they could get their shoe in.

Tell floyd mayweather that randy couture is a better allround athlete. floyd wouldnt give 2 shits he`d merely compare both mens bank balances and that would be the end of the story. UFC fighters arent idiots, they all know they could potentially make millions in the sport of boxing but the difference being our sport is full to the brim with world quality operators wanting those million dollar paydays while UFC is an expanding franchise full of young untapped talent that simply played the numbers game and realised theyd be better keeping to a safe little payday fighting guys with 21-4 rather than compete in a sport with hundreds of world class athletes.

Randy Couture fights guys with records of 18-4, in boxing that record wouldnt even get you on the card as a filler fight let alone a main eventer!!
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you swapped the pay of both sports and mixed martial artists were earning millions of dollars dont you think the likes of floyd mayweather and bernard hopkins wouldnt just jump over to that?

And if they did they would no doubt own every single division and once agan the white frat boys who cant take getting beat f*ck out of would simply devise ANOTHER contact sport that they could get their shoe in.

Tell floyd mayweather that randy couture is a better allround athlete. floyd wouldnt give 2 shits he`d merely compare both mens bank balances and that would be the end of the story. UFC fighters arent idiots, they all know they could potentially make millions in the sport of boxing but the difference being our sport is full to the brim with world quality operators wanting those million dollar paydays while UFC is an expanding franchise full of young untapped talent that simply played the numbers game and realised theyd be better keeping to a safe little payday fighting guys with 21-4 rather than compete in a sport with hundreds of world class athletes.

Randy Couture fights guys with records of 18-4, in boxing that record wouldnt even get you on the card as a filler fight let alone a main eventer!!
    Ridiculous my friend

UFC fighters start off with a base fighting style, wrestling, BJJ, Kickboxing, Sambo, Muay Thai etc, very few start off with a boxing background then make the transition to MMA. Simply because they didnt want to do boxing at the very start of their fighting careers. These guys want to be MMA artists because thats what they WANT to be, regardless of the money involved, they do it for the love of the sport.
    Hidden Content SADDO'S FIGHT NIGHT RD4 CHAMPION, TAKING ON ALL COMERS ! Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by themacmagician View Post
    I'm actually quite intrigued to see how Toney performs in this. I listened to a really interesting interview with, I think his Step Father of about 15 - 16 years. He was a mixed martial arts expert for years fighting in all kinds off rough places. The link is below. I think James Toney might be a little better equipped for UFC than people are giving him credit for......

Thursday Night LIVE: OnThEGRiND BOXiNG on FightHype feat. The Grand Master…!!! OnThEGRiND BOXiNG
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornfinger View Post
    I dunno man, yeah it's easy to say Toney's going to suck, but it all depends on how he trains, who trains him etc etc.

Toney fighting in UFC and doing alright for himself is just as rediculous as saying Mosely has a chance against Floyd.

you never fully know whats going to happen till they get in the ring and do it.

I'm going to reserve judgement....
    Seriously, check out the interview with Toney's Step Dad if anyone doubts or is interested how he is being trained. Its quite an insight.... I think he's been in training for a while too....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do like to watch a bit of UFC but I sometimes think Dana is in an odd world.....

He signs a guy in kimbo who is a glorified youtube streetfighter, and now he is snapping up boxers who are on the brink of bxing retirement.

Would an aging UFC fighter on the brink of retirement go to boxing. I doubt it.

The UFC has grown a lot over the years and I'm interested to see where it will go from here. I don't think ageing boxers and bums that have filmed themselves punching other bums on youtube is the answer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do like to watch a bit of UFC but I sometimes think Dana is in an odd world.....

He signs a guy in kimbo who is a glorified youtube streetfighter, and now he is snapping up boxers who are on the brink of bxing retirement.

Would an aging UFC fighter on the brink of retirement go to boxing. I doubt it.

The UFC has grown a lot over the years and I'm interested to see where it will go from here. I don't think ageing boxers and bums that have filmed themselves punching other bums on youtube is the answer.

Plain and simple exposure I'd say is the goal of White. If an ageing boxer or youtube hit streetfighter brings more audience figures then it makes Dana White money. Imagine how many people are gonna tune in to see how James Toney fairs in UFC. I can't stand the "Two guys grappling on the floor" thing at all. But saying that, I will certainly tune in to find out how Toney gets on, and Mayorga too....... He trying to win boxing fans for sure, and he's gonna do it. Still won't be as good a sport as boxing but might open a few eyes with regards to the supposed quality and entertainment value of UFC if Toney gets slammed.....
    Last edited by TheMacMagician; 03-04-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jeeeezus... I could hang my washing out on that chin... No wonder he got knocked the fuck out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg8su_YjT0s
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mattyhitman View Post

Ridiculous my friend

UFC fighters start off with a base fighting style, wrestling, BJJ, Kickboxing, Sambo, Muay Thai etc, very few start off with a boxing background then make the transition to MMA. Simply because they didnt want to do boxing at the very start of their fighting careers. These guys want to be MMA artists because thats what they WANT to be, regardless of the money involved, they do it for the love of the sport.

you seriously hand on heart believe that

You honestly think that none of the current UFC world champions have considered going into boxing and making millions just because they love MMA??

bollocks mate, they dont make the transition because they know the level of talent is just far too dense in boxing.

I`ll reiterate my point again, would mayweather, pacquiao, mosley heck even the likes of froch, kessler, hatton entertain the idea of main eventing against someone who has a 20% defeat record??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm yet to see any UFC fighter with anywhere close to half decent boxing skills.

It's not hard to look like a good puncher when you're Ko'ing a guy with with even worse skill.

Check out Little Nog, Bronze Medalist in the Pan American Games, he has decent hands. Check out his last KO.
    Some people say boxing is a matter of life or death, it's not, it's far more important than that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mattyhitman View Post

Ridiculous my friend

you seriously hand on heart believe that

You honestly think that none of the current UFC world champions have considered going into boxing and making millions just because they love MMA??

bollocks mate, they dont make the transition because they know the level of talent is just far too dense in boxing.

I`ll reiterate my point again, would mayweather, pacquiao, mosley heck even the likes of froch, kessler, hatton entertain the idea of main eventing against someone who has a 20% defeat record??
    Give your head a shake.

These MMA fighters come from backgrounds that are anything but boxing, bar a couple. These guys are Jui Jitsu, Kickboxers, Wresters, Jukokans, Muay Thai fighters first and foremost. They have been doing their preferred martial art since they were kids. When MMA or more so the UFC came along it was originally devised by the Gracie family to prove that Brazilian JiuJitsu was the best and most effective fighting disicipline. That was proven by Royce Gracie years ago.

These MMA fighters have never been wannabe boxers, they are fighters in their own discipline that have evolved to be all-round technicians. The most successful MMA fighters to date have always generally had a very strong wrestling background. The percentage of wannabe boxers turned MMA fighters is probably less than 1%.

As for Randy Couture having a 20% loss record, it's because 85% of his fights have been for a world title. And MMA doesnt have the bullshit politics that boxing has. Therefore there is no hiding. There is no such thing as a padded record in MMA. The best fight the best, even if that means at open weight classes on occasions.
    Last edited by Jimmy G-Force; 03-04-2010 at 01:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Check out Little Nog, Bronze Medalist in the Pan American Games, he has decent hands. Check out his last KO.

so why isnt he a boxer?

Thread Information