Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How Do You Create Angles?

How do you create angles in punching? Give me an example from start to finish of you closing the gap, engaging, and getting out, and tell me where and how the angles came into play. Most importantly I want to know what the feet are doing to set these angles up.

Give me as many examples as you can. This is something I'm trying to really better understand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How Do You Create Angles?

Lean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

can you be a little more specific?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

easiest one.
    jab,cross, slip then pivot the rear foot out then you have an angle on the opponent

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Circle your opponent feinting while noting his reactions. Throw jabs and straight rights to keep him off you. Step in behind feints and land to the areas these open up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Angles work in 3 dimensions.

Pivots, side-steps, step-across etc. can create a different angle (i.e 45 or 90 degrees from centre - assuming you are right in front of your oppenent to start with), but are only working in one plane.

Punches - from in front of your opponent - can also be changed to create different angles i.e straight left, overarm/hand right, hooks, uppercuts, half-hook/uppercut, bolos and screw shots (all varied from head to body at short, medium and medium to long range).
    Hidden Content Here Comes Trouble!

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiBoxerWithNoHandsSon View Post
    How do you create angles in punching? Give me an example from start to finish of you closing the gap, engaging, and getting out, and tell me where and how the angles came into play. Most importantly I want to know what the feet are doing to set these angles up.

Give me as many examples as you can. This is something I'm trying to really better understand.
    Orlando Canizales no better way of learning the art of angles, than watching this guy fight. He was the master at boxing in angles, his footwork was incredible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post

Orlando Canizales no better way of learning the art of angles, than watching this guy fight. He was the master at boxing in angles, his footwork was incredible.
    I'm not familiar, w/ Orlando Canizales, I'll have to look him up. I think Mike McCallum would be an excellent study for working in angles. He had to when dealing with pressuring opponents, he'd step around them, pivot and make the have to reset, all the while staying a step ahead.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post

I'm not familiar, w/ Orlando Canizales, I'll have to look him up. I think Mike McCallum would be an excellent study for working in angles. He had to when dealing with pressuring opponents, he'd step around them, pivot and make the have to reset, all the while staying a step ahead.
    Orlando Canizales done exactly what you just described, he would also feint with his footwork amazingly, making opponents twitch. Forcing them to make mistakes.

Thread Information