Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: The Ring reckon this is a mismatch but don't say why, thoughts?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is Bradley Abregu a mismatch??

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why is Bradley Abregu a mismatch??

From Ring Magazine

• I’m thrilled that Timothy Bradley is being moved into big fights. And I love watching Luis Carlos Abregu. But the two of them sharing a ring is a travesty. I traveled back in time and asked 1999 Roy Jones what he thought, and even he said it was a gross mismatch.

Ok that's what been said but how is it a mismatch? Both are completely unbeaten, Bradley the king at light welter and Abregu a new contender at full blown welter.

Bradley is moving up to test himself against a bigger, stronger and unbeaten guy.

Why is this a mismatch? And in which direction do they think the blowout will go? From the above it seems like they think Bradley will have no chance, but he's on the verge of being a p4p star with some great recent wins and to me this is one of the fights I'm most looking forward to, should be a thriller.

What do you guys think?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why is Bradley Abregu a mismatch??

I think it's a great match and a reasonable guy to step up in weight against. Bradley is going to be tiny in the ring, I mean he's shorter than Zab Judah. So this is a good tester fight. The reason it's a good match is the fact that Abregu has the ability to use his height to keep Bradley off of him, so a win is not out of the question even if he is an underdog. Of course if Bradley gets inside, Abregu is gonna taste the canvas a lot, because that is usually what happens.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would have voted the same as you guys, but it would have been in violation of forum etiquette to ignore the 'fuck off Bilbo' option.

Anyway I think this is a decent fight. I expect Bradley to win it possibly by stoppage, just because he's the superior boxer, but I think Abregu can make it interesting & possibly drop him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxing is a game of inches so anything is possible..........but more than likely bradley is going to beat the dog shit of this guy. Abregu ( Is he still baldomir's guy ?) has had trouble on showtime with guys a whole lot less than bradley. Not really sure why hbo feels they need to drop bradley to lesser comp when he was fighting top guys and doing pretty good.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I voted a mismatch but Ive mistaken Abregu with some other fighter. Now I look at it, its a dangerous fight for Bradley. Why is he stepping up in weight?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In my mind Bradley is a top 5 P4P fighter. The two sharing the ring is not a travesty but there is little doubt who will win imo.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    In my mind Bradley is a top 5 P4P fighter. The two sharing the ring is not a travesty but there is little doubt who will win imo.
    I wouldnt rate him that high yet . Not even in the top 10. But he certainly has ability and heart. Its obvious he's going into WW to try to get the big money vs Manny , Floyd or Shane but he'd lose to all 3.

But a fight vs Cotto would be interesting.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm just saying with his talent and ability I think he's one of the best fighters in boxing and I would only take a couple guys to beat him. The only reason he's not ranked higher is because he doesn't have the wins from like 5 or more years ago that guys like Mosley have.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by gest12645 View Post
    I voted a mismatch but Ive mistaken Abregu with some other fighter. Now I look at it, its a dangerous fight for Bradley. Why is he stepping up in weight?
    Because HBO is his master now

For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bradley was a small junior Welterweight. Who wasn't to hard to hit. I'm very interested to see how Bradley handles a Welterweights punch. Abregu has mediocre written all over him. But he packs a good punch.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bradley looked so much improved in his fight vs Peterson. To me , he looked very raw still against Holt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I see where this can be such a decieving fight for Bradley.

You have a guy that eeeeked a decision against Witter (whom we know now is a quitter), Edner Cherry (really just a 135 fighter), Holt (now destroyed by obscurity from KO-ed-ness)

I didn't get a cance to see the Peterson fight... but Where is Bradley now?? I guess I'm with everyone else on here.. Why move up? He looks everything but unbeatable at LWW. Biggest question is will he be able to cary what little power he has at 140 to 147? Maybe he will find new power.

One thing is for sure. He don't want NONE of THIS!!!
    Attached Images
    "Floyd needs to inject Xylocaine into his balls to gain the courage to fight Pacquiao."

- and I quote from some random guy on the internet

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interesting, so he's testing the waters in welterweight?

I don't know if he can be successful, but we'll soon find out.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Love Bradley,his level of comp,his aggresive busy style,attitude but this is not a mismatch.Surely Bradley will take it on hustle and improved combinations but Abregu can punch and has come back from being badly hurt.Bradley gets clipped vs Holt and Peterson,and tired just a bit.Very interested to see what effect added weight and opponent size will have...clearly it will have an effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyFolds View Post
    I see where this can be such a decieving fight for Bradley.

You have a guy that eeeeked a decision against Witter (whom we know now is a quitter), Edner Cherry (really just a 135 fighter), Holt (now destroyed by obscurity from KO-ed-ness)

I didn't get a cance to see the Peterson fight... but Where is Bradley now?? I guess I'm with everyone else on here.. Why move up? He looks everything but unbeatable at LWW. Biggest question is will he be able to cary what little power he has at 140 to 147? Maybe he will find new power.

One thing is for sure. He don't want NONE of THIS!!!
    Don't kid yourself.

Bradley wants a Alexander fight. His recent signing with HBO proves it, they will likely fight later this year or early next year.

He beat Witter decisively by the way, It was only a SD because it was in England.

Bradley's next fight is a good test for him.

Abregu can punch, is naturally bigger and it's a weight class Bradley has never been in so things could get interesting.

Thread Information