Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Movement...Help Tips....

Hi,
    I'm a beginner. I started boxing about 5 months ago. Right off the bat I know I need to shadow box more. I think I naturally fall into a crouch forward pressure type of fighting. It just feels more instinctual to me. The problem is that whenever I want to work my outside game it falls into a monstrosity that tries to emulate Ali/Robinson but falls way way short. Moving forward is the problem. I seem to fall into that all the time. That's fine as a tactic but it seems to be the only program I am running in my brain computer. I don't want it to be a strategy.
    I noticed I am not moving enough or moving too much.
    I have a tendency to follow the person I am sparring with.

Are there any tips for lateral/angular movement or anything that anyone here can pass on.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Movement...Help Tips....

My advice would be get in the ring, and just run around the rings circle without a stance or anything, and don't actually run, just keep stepping to the side like you would in a match. But do it freely like you don't care if you make a mistake, and do it without being in a stance just let your arms hang. Once you've got the hang of that, stay without a stance but keep moving while randomly throwing a jab. Keep doing that, after a while put in a 1-2 etc. I've seen this work for other fighters who were looking for their "personal" stance, as well as fighters just generally practicing their footwork to become lighter on their feet.

Try it, not like it's going to hurt you or anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey Thanks...I'll try it tomorrow...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by danieladamsmith View Post
    Hi,
    I'm a beginner. I started boxing about 5 months ago. ...I naturally fall into a crouch forward pressure type of fighting. ... Moving forward is the problem. I seem to fall into that all the time. That's fine as a tactic but it seems to be the only program I am running in my brain computer. I don't want it to be a strategy.

Are there any tips for lateral/angular movement or anything that anyone here can pass on.

Thanks in advance.
    I am even newer to boxing than you are (right at 4 months), but I too am naturally or by inclination and habit a pressure fighter who will just keep coming (all things being equal.) The questions involve you, your training habits, level etc.

There is a sticky post on this forum about How to Get Help and the folks can help you best if you include some of that: Pro or Amateur? Plans? Size, height and weight? Age? How often you train? Do you work with a coach or trainer? There is more in the sticky post, but you get the idea....

My coach 'solved' many of my similar problems by taking away my option to go forward -- he yells at me or he makes me do (about 50) push-ups every time I violate his 'rules'.

Most sessions I am only allowed to move back one step then must move sideways, circle or pivot, to keep the center of the ring.

He also has me fighting tall -- I am 5' 10" and would naturally be a light heavy, although I still have about 24 pounds of excess weight. Most of the guys I work with however are shorter so this may be part of the equation, since most people who are serious light heavies would likely be taller. I've got long arms though.

This combined with LOTS of training on catching and fading has made me a much better boxer and something of a counter-puncher (at my low beginner level.)

When he does let me go forward he is training me to step outside behind a jab, duck under if necessary, and throw a hook (usually) to get in close. This is the angle, either on my jab side or pivoting more to get out on my power hand side.

Working the bag, he insists we circle it, throwing jabs for moving and straight power punches only when the opponent is stopped (we usually work the bag in pairs, moving across from each other).

It's a bit limiting but this is for beginners and those just starting to make sense out of boxing.

Yesterday was the first day he (ever) tried to TRAIN me to go straight ahead to get inside -- using fading or weaving.

Apparently it wasn't pretty. Coach said that I look like a bull. I do believe I was about to do (a lot of) push-ups, but the end of the final ring training round sounded and I got a reprieve (i.e., saved by the bell.)

Oh, well, I can fix that... [with correct practice.]

One other question/suggestion: Since you understand your own problem, what stops you from practicing correct movement?

Are you always sparring? Always trying "to win" or are you training when you do this?

Can you practice slower with your partners? Enforce enough of the correct movement at (somewhat) slower speeds, and speed up only gradually so that the correct movement is carried into the more realistic speed?

I am very interested to hear what the more experienced folks will (including Maiberg) will continue to suggest....

--
    HerbM

PS: The good thing about doing push-ups is that I need them; the only bad thing is that he makes us do them immediately and so sometimes I miss a really good drill to do them.
    Last edited by HerbM; 03-25-2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: add How to Get Help link http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingforum/9585-read-before-posting-how-get-help-here.html

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by danieladamsmith View Post
    Hi,
    I'm a beginner. I started boxing about 5 months ago. Right off the bat I know I need to shadow box more. I think I naturally fall into a crouch forward pressure type of fighting. It just feels more instinctual to me. The problem is that whenever I want to work my outside game it falls into a monstrosity that tries to emulate Ali/Robinson but falls way way short. Moving forward is the problem. I seem to fall into that all the time. That's fine as a tactic but it seems to be the only program I am running in my brain computer. I don't want it to be a strategy.

Thanks in advance.
    Put your heavy bag on a long rope off a tree so it swings a long large curve and have some fun avoiding it by side stepping,you can control where it heads a bit like controlling someones weight then follow it with strikes to the end, side step avoid it on the tip of the arc and then turn and go after it or just step forward a couple or shuffle up and wait for its return etc.

That should get you out of your hunch.

Are you over protecting your stomach area and its effecting your freedom to move?
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Thread Information