Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default what do you do for a living?

Pretty interested to know what my fellow fight fans get up to when their not trawling the forums.

Apart from being a jedi master and soon to be fattyweight champion of the world (november 6th you heard it here first) i work in gas maintenance, trawling through east london delivering/selling gas

the work is shit, the pay is shit and the hours are shit

how about everyone else??
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: what do you do for a living?

I work in microelectronics manufacturing. The company I work for is very small so I have to wear a lot of hats, maintaining our procedures, sales, quality, customer service, R&D etc. The pay is reasonable as I live well below my means the hours are steady 5:30-2 m-f overtime is available if I want it, cause we are busy as hell. We just hired 3 new people. Once a year I get to travel for work, this year is North Carolina where everyone I know there has a sick obsession with the Klitschkos!
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm a concept artist. Freelancer and makes decent to good money. I do about 2 to 4 projects a month, hours are good since I am working from home, not too much hassle except once in a while I have to be on time to deliver the product.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    I'm a concept artist. Freelancer and makes decent to good money. I do about 2 to 4 projects a month, hours are good since I am working from home, not too much hassle except once in a while I have to be on time to deliver the product.

working from home

The dream job, the only thing i probably fantasise more about than a night with missy
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Freelance Graphic Designer working from home aswell been doing it for a few years now keeps me busy
    "There is no point being alive if you cannot do the deadlift."
    John Paul Sigmarrsson, 4 time Word's Strongest Man

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sonny78 View Post
    Freelance Graphic Designer working from home aswell been doing it for a few years now keeps me busy
    Can I ask how you got started with it? Did you have a graphic design job first? Or did you start doing that on the side while doing something different?

I would be very interested to hear your story, I am fascinated by entrepeneurship.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What exactly is a concept artist?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm a toilet bowl decorator.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    We do exactly what the title says. Concept artists will take an idea for something that the visonist came up with and wants to look like, a character, a location, an enemy, a weapon, a vehicle, etc. And sketch it out, color it, and just make it look good in many different positions.

So basically we give the visual representation of what a video game, animated movie, comic book, sci-fi or fantasy movie will look like. We do the 1st look of the work of what the rest of the project will look in the end.

Just think of us as the starting pitchers and the visionist (person who came up with the idea) as the manager and the 3d artist and the rest as the bullpen.

Some of my stuff from the past from character sketches, props, to finished environments.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We do exactly what the title says. Concept artists will take an idea for something that the visonist came up with and wants to look like, a character, a location, an enemy, a weapon, a vehicle, etc. And sketch it out, color it, and just make it look good in many different positions.

So basically we give the visual representation of what a video game, animated movie, comic book, sci-fi or fantasy movie will look like. We do the 1st look of the work of what the rest of the project will look in the end.

Just think of us as the starting pitchers and the visionist (person who came up with the idea) as the manager and the 3d artist and the rest as the bullpen.

Some of my stuff from the past from character sketches, props, to finished environments.
    Really cool stuff man, so is this done by hand?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My job aint that exciting or interesting. I'm incharge of Business Development in the UK for a U.S company - basically I am a salesman!
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Purchasing and Freight Manager for a fruit juice company...currently under paid so means I do shit loads of work and get shit all for it.
    Hidden Content

Please see above for my opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Manager in a large finance company, hours are good , close to home. Money OK but they rely on a bonus to top it up but from what I hear it can be pretty decent (I am new so don't know yet)

best thing is I ride my Vespa to work and get home in 20 minutes, old place in Sydney it took me 2 hrs to get home !!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Really cool stuff man, so is this done by hand?
    Some stuff I still do by hand especially characters, some environments. But nowadays in the world of professional arts it's done mainly by computer software like Adobe Photoshop, Krita, paint.net, because of the convenience, less messier, and many mistakes can be rectified with the click of a mouse.

In the art schools they still teach the traditional methods of creating artwork by hand, but they also have a huge emphasis in using computer software, because of the many benefits as I've described, You are still creating artwork but it's just done digitally now. And yes one still needs artistic talent even with the usage of computer software. It's just a different kind of canvas.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I go to school right now where I'm studying to be a journalist and/or broadcaster. I am also working as a waiter at Applebees, which is completely wack but it is more money then I could get anywhere else.

Thread Information