Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default World Cup 2010

I am seriously considering putting bets on Argentina winning the world cup what do people think?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: World Cup 2010

Not with that fool Maradona in charge.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

OK Spain then.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Spain are the best bet to win it, they're strong all over the pitch, I mean Fabregas doesn't even start for them much.

I do get this sneaky feeling that Argentina are going to click come the WC and have a good tournament. They barely qualified, have a lunatic in charge and can't get the best out of their best player, but come the WC I think everything might just fall into place and they'll have a good run...or maybe they'll just crash and burn in the groups and go home without picking up a point

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes with Messi in the team and with the quality players they have around him, even Maradona could not cock this up. Just see them win it for some reason. Brazil are strong and have another gear but they are not special.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brazil for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Messi and Tevez will be a fukking scary strike force. So will Torres (If he's fit) and Villa for Spain. And of course Robinho and Adriano for Brazil. Its hard to choose, but I'm leaning towards Brazil. No way Argentina will win with that fool in charge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's wide open this year.

I hate to say it, but unless England implodes in the group phase or some critical upsets happen, they have the easiest road to the Semi's of any of the group favorites. Once you are in the Semis, anything can happen. They have a great shot. I don't want to see it happen. Spain and Brazil are better teams, but they both have a tougher road to the finals. Italy also have a good shot. They have an easy road to the Quarters and they are a perfect team to pick off Spain. If Argentina had a real coach, I would be picking them, but Argentina won't win it with Maradona coaching.

Look at the group favorites:

Brazil - Great, but they need to go through the toughest group. They have to face two live underdogs, including Portugal (FIFA #4) and I.C. (Drogba). If the win, they a potentially tough game with Chile in round 2 and a showdown with FIFA's #3 Holland in the Quarters. They could easily limp into the second round and get Spain. To get to the finals, they will probably need to go through Portugal, Ivory Coast, Chile, Holland, and Argentina.

Italy - Easy group. It should be Italy 1, Paraguay 2. They gets and relatively easy round 2 with Cameroon or Denmark, but they are looking at Spain (FIFA #1) or possibly Portugal if they pull an upset in the quarters. I expect them to win this game. They will get England in the semi's, and I predict the winner of this game will win the cup.

Spain - Shouldn't be too many surprises in the group phase. Spain 1, Chile 2. But Spain will get VERY tough second round game against Portugal, Ivory Coast, or even Brazil. Brazil has no margin for error in their group, an I wouldn't be shocked by any outcome from this group. This is exactly the kind of game Spain screws up historically. They the get Italy, almost a guarantee. The dream ends here.

Holland - Should win the group easily. Cameroon or Denmark are 2. Almost certainly face Paraguay in round 2. They should get past Paraguay, but I wouldn't be shocked if Paraguay pulled it off. Either way they run into Brazil next. If Brazil has trouble in the group phase, they are still probably looking at Portugal. They might pull that one off and lose in the Semis to Argentina.

Group A - This is the most unpredictable group and it will be a dogfight. The group winner probably won't make it past round two (against Greece, probably), and the only way team from this group is going past the quarters is if the USA pulls an upset again England. Even then, Serbia, Australia, or the US could pull off an upset against any Group A team. I wouldn't be shocked to see Mexico win this group. The runner up gets Argentina in round 2. Even Maradona can't screw this up with Messi on the pitch.

England - Unless they get arrogant, they go the Semis. Even with a draw against the US, they should win the group. My prediction - England 2-0-1 (7). USA 1-0-2 (5), Algeria 1-1-1 (4), Slovenia 0-2-1 (1). Even England draw with the US and the US win both the other games, England will win the group on goal differential. Both Germany and England need to be careful. Serbia and the USA can upset either team. They are classic trap games and both England and Germany have two of them. In the Quarters, England would get the Group A winner or a Group B runner up (France Greece your guess is as good as mine). Germany and Argentina are looking right at each other. England has it much easier.

Germany - England has one team in the group who could pull an upset over them. Germany have two. Serbia and Australia could both pull a miracle, but even if Australia or Serbia pulls an upset, it's unlikely they won't drop a game to somebody else. Ghana could pick off either Serbia or Australia and they could both beat each other. Germany 1, Australia or Serbia 2. Germany then gets the USA. Germany vs the USA and England vs Serbia are equal challenges, but the big difference comes in the Quarters.

Argentina - Argentina cruises through an average group. Greece are #2, but Nigeria are a live underdog to advance. They get a decent Group A runner up (Mexico/Uruguay/France) in round 2, but the should advance without a problem. For the Quarterfinal, however, it will be Germany. I favor Argentina, but I'll bet on England over any Group A team or Group B runner up over Argentina vs Germany. This will be the best quarterfinal game.

Prediction:

Semifinal 1
    England (Over Greece) vs Italy (Italy over Spain)

England 2-1

Semifinal 2

Brazil (Over Holland) vs Argentina (Over the USA)

Argentina 3-2

Final:

England vs. Argentina

3-1

If not England, it will be Italy.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Spain or Brazil would be my picks. Holland could have a chance, but they will 'Bottle It' as always!

Foe England to win I see all of the below factors having to be in place

Every 1st choice player 100% fit
    Every 1st choice player at the peak of their form
    Every 1st choice player remaining fit for the duration of the tournament
    Every 1st choice player remaining at the peak of their form forthe duration of the tournament.
    The Team having practiced and improved massively on penalties
    A lot of Luck!!

So a sure thing really
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its always worth having a cheeky fiver (ew) on the Germans.
    24 Beers in a slab, 24 hours in the day.......go figure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FTMatty View Post
    yeah no matter how bad a team they got they always do pretty well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I am seriously considering putting bets on Argentina winning the world cup what do people think?
    i thought the same a couple of days ago, gotta take the weather into consideration be surprised if a european team wins it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

so true

brazil and spain have to be favourites to meet in the final. Write off the italians and germans at your peril

to win the world cup
    Italy 13/1
    Germany 13/1

to qualify from group
    Ghana 5/4
    ivory coast 5/4

to reach quarter finals
    ivory coast 11/4
    south africa 11/2
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post

so true

brazil and spain have to be favourites to meet in the final. Write off the italians and germans at your peril

to win the world cup
    Italy 13/1
    Germany 13/1

to qualify from group
    Ghana 5/4
    ivory coast 5/4

to reach quarter finals
    ivory coast 11/4
    south africa 11/2
    both germany & italy are good odds i reckon?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post

so true

to win the world cup
    Italy 13/1
    Germany 13/1

to qualify from group
    Ghana 5/4
    ivory coast 5/4

to reach quarter finals
    ivory coast 11/4
    south africa 11/2
    both germany & italy are good odds i reckon?
    considering most bookies in the UK have retardedly got england at 5s and have spain and brazil at so low odds also it bloody is
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Thread Information