Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So have we just lost potentially one of the best fighters ever..?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default So have we just lost potentially one of the best fighters ever..?

Edwin Valero is the only fighter in History to have a 100% KO Record and is in the Guiness book of records for the most consecutive KO's also.

Would he have battered Manny down with his ferocious power..?

That fight was 100% on the horizon no question.

This 5 min highlight video has got some fierce KO's and he's not just knocking them out he's battering them unconcious with some sickening shots , head and body.

Check it out......... and what a waste of a fighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcbLZE-NcgE

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: So have we just lost potentially one of the best fighters ever..?

I have to say with his drink and drug problems I really doubt it.

I mean even if he had not killed his wife and then himself, it's probable that his substance abuse and problems outside the ring would have led to him getting beaten inside it soon enough.

But if you mean a Valero clean of drink and drugs, and focused fully on fighting, then yeah he could have been really really special.

Sad loss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I doubt anyone will ever again win a major title, and then finish their career undefeated with a 100% KO ratio.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    I have to say with his drink and drug problems I really doubt it.

I mean even if he had not killed his wife and then himself, it's probable that his substance abuse and problems outside the ring would have led to him getting beaten inside it soon enough.

But if you mean a Valero clean of drink and drugs, and focused fully on fighting, then yeah he could have been really really special.

Sad loss.

Yeah I agree with that, if he could have got himself clean I think he'd have been the real deal. He would never have been in a dull fight either, real sad story...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I want to just hang this out there- anyone think Valero's drug use may have played a part in his success in the ring?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No let's not overrate this bum, he fought with his chin in the air and was a knockout waiting to happen.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    I want to just hang this out there- anyone think Valero's drug use may have played a part in his success in the ring?

The Goverment seriously protected him when they should have helped him fight his demons....makes you wonder what else they might have turned a blind eye to

Insane power in both Hands and he'd have been a force against anyone imo.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by piye View Post
    No let's not overrate this bum, he fought with his chin in the air and was a knockout waiting to happen.
    Give me a break he had good handspeed, crushing power. And when he chose to box he looked somewhat like a young Manny Pacquiao. He for certain could of been one of the greats of this era.

Just because the guy was a scumbag doesn't mean he was a bum, the guy was a world champion who was breaking into the top 10 P4P, so how was he a bum exactly ?

Yes his defense wasn't great but so what ? his offense is his defense which is what made him so exciting.

Not all the great fighters have great defenses. See Jack Dempsey, Aaron Pryor, Orlando Canizales, Julio Cesar Chavez.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the guy was an absolute blast to watch, he could have been a great great fighter down the line for sure. On the flip side, I also agree with one of PIYE's point in that he was a knockout waiting to happen, maybe at LWW once he met someone with good power.

He would have given us some ATG boxing nights IMO though for sure.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed

Anyone think he could have gone so far as to have given Manny the fight of his life or maybe even sparked him out?

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Agreed

Anyone think he could have gone so far as to have given Manny the fight of his life or maybe even sparked him out?
    Well he does have all the same attributes of a young Manny Pacquiao. The southpaw stance, the aggressive style, the handspeed, the power, ETC.

He reminded me alot of the young Manny Pacquiao, before he become more polished. It really all depends mate, maybe if he would of had the right trainer, he could of been up there with Manny Pacquiao.

If you actually see him sparring and his last fight, he actually has underrated handspeed and boxing skills. It all depends if he could be like Manny Pacquiao knowing when to be aggressive and knowing when to box.

Possible though he was 28 wasn't it ? and Manny Pacquiao started to really improve at near enough that age.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh God no, He would have lost to the first power puncher who hit him on the Jaw, Who exactly did he ever beat? A guy like Carl Froch get's a hard time and he has beaten world class opponents this bum gets overrated because he knocked out bums and killed himself? fuck this guy.

ICB Guest

Oh God no, He would have lost to the first power puncher who hit him on the Jaw, Who exactly did he ever beat? A guy like Carl Froch get's a hard time and he has beaten world class opponents this bum gets overrated because he knocked out bums and killed himself? fuck this guy.
    Antonio Pitalua was a puncher.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm just curious if anyone saw enough potential to think he may have had a shot basically...none of us have/did or ever will see him with a real live fighter bashing him back so we'll never know.

I just saw something in him that makes me think maybe..

That's all

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Agreed

What makes you think he could have sparked out Manny?

By fighting guys like Demarco at 135? And Velasquez?

His level of opposition wasn't that great. He had talent no doubt, but let's not jump the gun.

Thread Information