Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: What's your bodyfat percentage

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's your bodyfat percentage?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What's your bodyfat percentage?

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post

Your probably skinny/fat then Miles, that means you don't weigh much. But your body fat percentage is high or higher than it should be for your weight. Or your not carrying much muscle.

Easiest way to cure this, is put on a bit of weight while doing weight training so basically bulking up. When you feel you've seen some good gains. Then do a cut thats what most people do mate.
    What do you mean when you say do a cut, Ice?
    Tone up medium weight with dumbbells ETC, do more cardio, eat healthly/dieting ETC.
    Ah I see. I'm afraid I'm not the most clued up when it comes to the workout lingo. I've been lifting dumbbells for a bit now, but nothing strenuous. Just that and my trusty exercise bike.

I don't think I have an ounce of fat on me, but my belly isn't the most toned of places. If I am sitting down I can feel it's a little wobbly. Must be some fat in there methinks.

I also like some of that equipment Bilbo was flashing about earlier (not that kind of equipment! ). Pretty cool.

I'm quite serious about doing more situps along with my casual other stuff, because I could probably work at the tummy a bit. Actually, I see on wiki that the 'crunch' has become the safer option. Never knew that. You learn something everyday.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your probably skinny/fat then Miles, that means you don't weigh much. But your body fat percentage is high or higher than it should be for your weight. Or your not carrying much muscle.

Easiest way to cure this, is put on a bit of weight while doing weight training so basically bulking up. When you feel you've seen some good gains. Then do a cut thats what most people do mate.
    Tone up medium weight with dumbbells ETC, do more cardio, eat healthly/dieting ETC.
    Toning up has nothing to do with the weight of the dumbbell being used. Toning up is a direct result of stripping away body-fat to bring out muscle tone. So providing the person doesn't have much body fat, muscle tone will be on show. If the person lifts heavier weights and eats and recovers properly, providing he has maintained a low body fat level, he is likely to have more muscle 'tone' than a person who has just lifted 'medium' dumbbells as he should have gained more muscle. The lower weight, higher rep myth is just that....a myth.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post

Toning up has nothing to do with the weight of the dumbbell being used. Toning up is a direct result of stripping away body-fat to bring out muscle tone. So providing the person doesn't have much body fat, muscle tone will be on show. If the person lifts heavier weights and eats and recovers properly, providing he has maintained a low body fat level, he is likely to have more muscle 'tone' than a person who has just lifted 'medium' dumbbells as he should have gained more muscle. The lower weight, higher rep myth is just that....a myth.
    When i say Medium weights i mean decreasing the weight, by about 5 kilos or ETC. Just to maintain your strength. When i was toning up/losing weight, i couldn't lift as much when i was seriously working with barbells doing bench pressing and ETC.

You will obviously in my experience, not be able to keep lifting real heavyweights when your losing weight/toning. Especially when you've lost over a stone which i've done in the past. And especially since when your working with real heavyweights trying to bulk, you have to constantly over a period of a week, have to keep adding atleast 2.5/5.0 kilos each time to add strength.

The key in my experience is too slightly lower the weight, where you can atleast do 10 to 12 reps. Which is the key for toning and muscle edurance, where as if you want gain strength and put on bulk. You lift heavy weights where you can only do 6 reps.

And considering Miles isn't a seasoned lifter, medium weights doing between 10 and 12 reps would do him wonders.
    Last edited by ICB; 04-29-2010 at 05:53 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post

When i say Medium weights i mean decreasing the weight, by about 5 kilos or ETC. Just to maintain your strength. When i was toning up/losing weight, i couldn't lift as much when i was seriously working with barbells doing bench pressing and ETC.

You will obviously in my experience, not be able to keep lifting real heavyweights when your losing weight/toning. Especially when you've lost over a stone which i've done in the past. And especially since when your working with real heavyweights trying to bulk, you have to constantly over a period of a week, have to keep adding atleast 2.5/5.0 kilos each time to add strength.

The key in my experience is too slightly lower the weight, where you can atleast do 10 to 12 reps. Which is the key for toning and muscle edurance, where as if you want gain strength and put on bulk. You lift heavy weights where you can only do 6 reps.

And considering Miles isn't a seasoned lifter, medium weights doing between 10 and 12 reps would do him wonders.
    Toning isn't really related to muscle endurance to be honest. Toning can be achieved through most rep ranges, as it is a direct result of having low body fat thus having visible muscle. That's why if you have low body fat i'd personally go pretty heavy, given that it's key to hypertrophy, wheras endurance training is less effective in terms of building muscle. So the muscle to fat ratio will be even greater as the heavier weights (with proper technique) should lead to greater muscle devolopment over a period of time.

I've been working with a diet plan over the last 6 weeks. I've put it together myself and it's not really anything too special but i've lost half a stone, lowered my bodyfat by 3% and increased the size of my arms and shoulders. Strength has improved aswell.

The key has been my carbohydrate consumption. It's still been fairly high considering i'm cutting. Around 300g per day, mostly consumed at breakfast and post workout.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm 5'10 & when I weighed in at the gym the other day, I was bang on 153lbs. Using one of those calculators, it's got me at 10% at the moment, which is probably about right as I'm pretty muscular for my weight.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would like to know this answer, I have NO idea?!

I'm pretty slim but I weight around 17st... makes no sense
    I must have bones made of lead.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboogie View Post

Your pretty big lad though aren't you mate ? your 6'5 right ?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah. But apparently I'm also overweight
    Those height/ measurement graphs always have me as overweight.

I don't see how when I'm more on the lanky side of slim..?
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah. But apparently I'm also overweight
    Those height/ measurement graphs always have me as overweight.

I don't see how when I'm more on the lanky side of slim..?
    Those graphs are not very accurate and should only be used as vague estimations.. I'm the same way.. i'm around 5'7", not very tall, and weigh around 160.. I have at the most 15% body fat, probably more like 12%, but those charts would probably have me around 25%. I literally have no fat on my besides my stomach area, but i have a clear 6 pack, so it's not like i have a gut or anything. If i ran more often, maybe 3-4 times a week, i wouldn't lose more than 2-3 lbs of fat as that's really all i have on my body besides muscle.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well this year I'm doing very well in my health goals.

I weighed in this morning first thing at just over 9st 9lb so just over 135 lbs. I weigh more after breakfast obviously but this has to be good.

My bodyfat is definitely down too but I don't know exactly what it is as my scales fluctuate.

One day I'm 16.8 then the next 17.7 then 17.1 etc. It changes by .5 during the same day as well so I'm just noting the average trend, i.e down which is good.

I reckon I must be about 17-17.5 now which is 3% down on last year when I made this thread.

135 is the lowest I've weighed illness aside since I was about 20 which isn't bad. I'm definitely a little more muscular now as I'm working with dumbells.

Ive just finished one 8 week plan and this week am about to start another. All my workouts are computer generated for me which is ideal as all I have to do is follow the schedule I'm giving. Today it's Fitness Evolved on my Kinect for 15 mins followed by 30 mins of weights.

Generally I train for 20 to 45 mins a time about 5 days a week.

I don't think it's necessary or advisable for me to work much more than that, and I've lost about 8 lbs in the last couple months so am making exactly the progress I wanted.

I'd like to put a bit of muscle on now, but I imagine I will be a slow gainer so if I can put on maybe half a stone of muscle over a year I'd be well happy.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    Well this year I'm doing very well in my health goals.

I weighed in this morning first thing at just over 9st 9lb so just over 135 lbs. I weigh more after breakfast obviously but this has to be good.

My bodyfat is definitely down too but I don't know exactly what it is as my scales fluctuate.

One day I'm 16.8 then the next 17.7 then 17.1 etc. It changes by .5 during the same day as well so I'm just noting the average trend, i.e down which is good.

I reckon I must be about 17-17.5 now which is 3% down on last year when I made this thread.

135 is the lowest I've weighed illness aside since I was about 20 which isn't bad. I'm definitely a little more muscular now as I'm working with dumbells.

Ive just finished one 8 week plan and this week am about to start another. All my workouts are computer generated for me which is ideal as all I have to do is follow the schedule I'm giving. Today it's Fitness Evolved on my Kinect for 15 mins followed by 30 mins of weights.

Generally I train for 20 to 45 mins a time about 5 days a week.

I don't think it's necessary or advisable for me to work much more than that, and I've lost about 8 lbs in the last couple months so am making exactly the progress I wanted.

I'd like to put a bit of muscle on now, but I imagine I will be a slow gainer so if I can put on maybe half a stone of muscle over a year I'd be well happy.
    Thats good mate im pleased for you, try to do some dumbbell flys, squats, bent over rows, ETC, keep up the good work.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Say I wanna know what my body fat % is. How do i go about it?
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boogie. For 6' 5" I reckon 17 stone is a pretty healthy weight
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
    I'm 16.5 at the mo but yeah I kinda think so too... Mind you I'm going by what boxers weigh... they all end up as fat lumps when their older so maybe I should look at Basketball players or something

Seriously though, how do you even begin to work out what your body fat is
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimanuel Boogustus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
    I'm 16.5 at the mo but yeah I kinda think so too... Mind you I'm going by what boxers weigh... they all end up as fat lumps when their older so maybe I should look at Basketball players or something

Seriously though, how do you even begin to work out what your body fat is
    I've got a set of scales that work it out. They send pulses through your body and calculate it
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Thread Information