Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Fres Oquendo robbed again

I've flicked through the fight, but not really watched it myself. However it's being reported across the net that he was robbed again this time against Mormeck.

Got to feel a bit sorry for this journeyman. He clearly beat James Toney, that was a travesty of a decision, I thought Holyfield was very luck to get the nod against him, and everyone thinks he beat Chris Byrd.

He's lost 6 but really it should only be 2 defeats with wins over Byrd, Holyfield, Toney and Mormeck.

That's the difference between gatekeeper and world title challenger and you have to feel sorry for the guy.

He ain't exciting but he gets more raw deals than Glen Johnson it seems.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Fres Oquendo robbed again

The world is always trying to keep a Puerto Rican heavyweight down.

I think Ruiz should come out of retirement to fight Oquendo and this board should make it happen. Oquendo is THE MAN. He was robbed as someone had erroneously told him he was fighting a frenchman. For 7 rounds he kept asking where the Frenchie was and asked why this yellow bearded black man was trying to punch him. By the time he got word who his actual opponent was he was down on the cards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I also think he was holding his own and probably beating Ruiz when they fought before that quick ass stoppage. So IMO this guy (Oquendo) could have only one loss against Tua. I still haven't seen the Mormeck fight but he does seem to get shafted in close fights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post

I think Ruiz should come out of retirement to fight Oquendo and this board should make it happen. Oquendo is THE MAN. He was robbed as someone had erroneously told him he was fighting a frenchman. For 7 rounds he kept asking where the Frenchie was and asked why this yellow bearded black man was trying to punch him. By the time he got word who his actual opponent was he was down on the cards.

Cant argue with that. From what ive read it seems as if oquendo was given the same treatment that mighty john ruiz has been given all his career

Seriously has anybody in the history been given as many rough decision in their career as john ruiz??
    one dangerous horrible bloke

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HattonTheHammer View Post

Cant argue with that. From what ive read it seems as if oquendo was given the same treatment that mighty john ruiz has been given all his career

Seriously has anybody in the history been given as many rough decision in their career as john ruiz??
    Emanuel Augustus
    Jesse Burnett
    Glen Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post

Emanuel Augustus
    Jesse Burnett
    Glen Johnson

glen johnson just sits on his opponents shoulders for 12rounds and trys to hug the life out of them

Ruiz is all out entertainment

ICB Guest

Emanuel Augustus
    Jesse Burnett
    Glen Johnson

glen johnson just sits on his opponents shoulders for 12rounds and trys to hug the life out of them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Emanuel Augustus
    Jesse Burnett
    Glen Johnson

Ruiz has been involved in some lame ass fights over the years i grant you that but if you actually study those fights on every occasion he is the aggressor and its the other guy making the fight dull

The 3holyfield fights being prime examples for this. Who landed the heavier punches throughout the feud, who threw the more punches, who`s output was far greater than the others??

Theres many enhancement storys you here about john ruiz but the 3 reasons die hard heavyweight boxing fans take to him are because...

The endless screwy decisions he has received over the years
    The bigger name fighters not on his CV (Tyson and lewis both at one stage or another ducked ruiz)
    The heart of a warrior and a chin made out of granite. His never say die attitude is why john is beloved
    Last edited by HattonTheHammer; 05-10-2010 at 04:06 PM.

ICB Guest

thats the last time i try to use tongue in cheek on here
    I just don't know when your joking though, because you do have some pretty bizarre opinions.

But forgetting that you should check out Jesse Burnett, i believe the Ring Magazine thought he was one of the most, unluckiest fighters ever regarding losing decision's.

I saw his fight vs John Conteh and he was for certain robbed in that one, he scored 2 knockdowns and comfortably won.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just don't know when your joking though, because you do have some pretty bizarre opinions.

But forgetting that you should check out Jesse Burnett, i believe the Ring Magazine thought he was one of the most, unluckiest fighters ever regarding losing decision's.

I saw his fight vs John Conteh and he was for certain robbed in that one, he scored 2 knockdowns and comfortably won.

Gonna see if i can dig up some old burnett footage. Was the conteh fight in liverpool? if it was that explains a hell of a lot

mularvar Guest

poor fres, what a man gotta do ah

ICB Guest

Gonna see if i can dig up some old burnett footage. Was the conteh fight in liverpool? if it was that explains a hell of a lot
    Nah it was in London but it was for certain a gift, i really like John Conteh. But there's no way i could give it too John Conteh, they probably gave it too him because of his upcoming fight vs Matthew Saad Muhammad.

John Conteh seemed totally shot in the Jesse Burnett fight, he had no legs. But he found some form in the 1st Matthew Saad Muhammad fight. But he still wasn't in his prime, John Conteh had a very short peak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nah it was in London but it was for certain a gift, i really like John Conteh. But there's no way i could give it too John Conteh, they probably gave it too him because of his upcoming fight vs Matthew Saad Muhammad.

John Conteh seemed totally shot in the Jesse Burnett fight, he had no legs. But he found some form in the 1st Matthew Saad Muhammad fight. But he still wasn't in his prime, John Conteh had a very short peak.
    bit early for me the whole conteh era but watching back on his old fights he never won me over and seemed to be the kind of fighter devoid of getting out of the way of a punch

To be fair though mate this burnett fella your speaking off has a record of 23-18 or something like that. Im pretty sure he hasnt been the benefactor of 18 robberys

ICB Guest

bit early for me the whole conteh era but watching back on his old fights he never won me over and seemed to be the kind of fighter devoid of getting out of the way of a punch

To be fair though mate this burnett fella your speaking off has a record of 23-18 or something like that. Im pretty sure he hasnt been the benefactor of 18 robberys
    Bit early for me aswell mate im only 20 LOL, its just i've seen quite a few of his fights online. As for Jesse Burnett i heard he should've had atleast 10 of the decisions go his way.

And considering he was in the strongest Light Heavyweight era, of all time that doesn't seem too bad at all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quite frankly I had it a draw for Mormeck vs Oquendo (I saw it live in France). I know Mormeck a little bit, and clearly he wanted to take a good opponent in order to see if he had the level to compete.

It's not really a robbery in my point of view...while against Hollyfield, Byrd and Toney yes definitely it was robberies.

but to tell you the truth at the end of the fight I thought that Mormeck punch rate was really low compared to Oquendo although they seemed more power full and precise...so it depends on how you wanna score the fight.

my 2 cents

Thread Information