Thread: US students kicked of school campus for wearing US flag t-shirts

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: US students kicked of school campus for wearing US flag t-shirts

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post

Me too. It is something I really don't connect with at all.

Getting on with a person is enough for me, I couldn't care less if they have a British passport.

so why are you taking such a hardline patriotic stance here? The important thing is the Mexicans got to celebrate their national day. Why provoke them by draping yourself in the American flag?
    Because I do believe that people should do what they want in life just so long as they don't hurt others. A Korean wrapped in a Korean flag isn't going to kill me.
    I don't understand how you can't see why it's provocative. It wouldn't be provocative on any other day, but to wear those colours/flag on that specific day and only on that specific day, is baiting. Plain and simple.

If anything the kids got rewarded for it anyway. They got sent home. I'd call that a result.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Because I do believe that people should do what they want in life just so long as they don't hurt others. A Korean wrapped in a Korean flag isn't going to kill me.
    Tolerance and respect come before assertion of rights imo.

And the principle did do what he wanted and didn't hurt anyone so what are you moaning about?
    Well, on there we will have to differ.

He hurt the rights of American kids who wanted to be punky flag bearers. And they had every right to do so. You can't just call the police because you are white and see a black person in the neighborhood sporting an afro. He might have been a psycho, but that's not the point. You are allowed to express yourself in a civil society. If the Mexicans are getting so upset by that, then maybe they need a bit of self reflection....and deportation orders.
    So quite literally, you are saying what the flag bearers were most likely saying.....'fuck off home'.

But in a non inciteful way that deserved no censorship of course.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post

so why are you taking such a hardline patriotic stance here? The important thing is the Mexicans got to celebrate their national day. Why provoke them by draping yourself in the American flag?
    I don't understand how you can't see why it's provocative. It wouldn't be provocative on any other day, but to wear those colours/flag on that specific day and only on that specific day, is baiting. Plain and simple.

If anything the kids got rewarded for it anyway. They got sent home. I'd call that a result.
    If you are an Englishman living in England you should be able to wear those colours anytime you like, unless your school has a specific uniform in which case NOBODY should be wearing any colours. That's my point here, it is a school, if there is no uniform policy then the kids cannot be blamed. No Mexican colours and no US colours either.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know this is one of the few times where I might actually side with political correctness.

The school just behaved appropriately. Look at the shitstorm that was cooked up in the UK a few months back when the Muslims wanted a peaceful march through Wooten Basset, which just happened to be the town famous for honouring dead UK soldiers killed in Afghanistan.

There were so many protests that they actually rushed a new law in to outlaw this groups freedom of speech in order to protect against a riot they said.

What's the difference here exactly?

They obviously don't want to risk fighting at school so they sent them home.

I seem to remember all of you being opposed to the Muslim march so why the change of heart here?

The flag wearing brigade sound like a bunch of incendiary minded twats to me.
    But why are the Mexicans getting upset by a bunch of kids wearing a specific set of colours? Surely they need to appreciate that not everyone wants nor should need to go along with what they feel their customs are?

Fine celebrate your day, but don't expect everyone else to chime in with the same chords. Rise above it and move on, it is a free country.
    They aren't asking other people to celebrate. But deciding to wear your own flag on that day is clearly just to provoke a negative reaction, what other possible reason would there be for it other than to display aggression and hostility to the Mexicans?
    That's pretty much it right there. They don't wear them flags any other day. Just on that day to try and get a reaction.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post

But why are the Mexicans getting upset by a bunch of kids wearing a specific set of colours? Surely they need to appreciate that not everyone wants nor should need to go along with what they feel their customs are?

Fine celebrate your day, but don't expect everyone else to chime in with the same chords. Rise above it and move on, it is a free country.
    They aren't asking other people to celebrate. But deciding to wear your own flag on that day is clearly just to provoke a negative reaction, what other possible reason would there be for it other than to display aggression and hostility to the Mexicans?
    That's pretty much it right there. They don't wear them flags any other day. Just on that day to try and get a reaction.
    You're part Mexican aint ya VD? What is the relationship with the americans like over there?

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tolerance and respect come before assertion of rights imo.

And the principle did do what he wanted and didn't hurt anyone so what are you moaning about?
    Well, on there we will have to differ.

He hurt the rights of American kids who wanted to be punky flag bearers. And they had every right to do so. You can't just call the police because you are white and see a black person in the neighborhood sporting an afro. He might have been a psycho, but that's not the point. You are allowed to express yourself in a civil society. If the Mexicans are getting so upset by that, then maybe they need a bit of self reflection....and deportation orders.
    So quite literally, you are saying what the flag bearers were most likely saying.....'fuck off home'.

But in a non inciteful way that deserved no censorship of course.
    What I am saying is that if you live in a new culture you should show some respect for it. Sure i hate Korea sometimes, but it's my home and I appreciate it for what it is. But I'm not going to decorate myself in the England flag and do a march just to prove a point to the natives just because it's a national holiday. And likewise when it's their special holidays I roll my eyes and laugh. I don't get upset by it though, I just take it for what it is.

If I don't like how things are, I can always go home and I know that. Same for these people if it is so upsetting for them. They are just being drama queens though.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you are an Englishman living in England you should be able to wear those colours anytime you like, unless your school has a specific uniform in which case NOBODY should be wearing any colours. That's my point here, it is a school, if there is no uniform policy then the kids cannot be blamed. No Mexican colours and no US colours either.
    That's the thing though. They aren't wearing them anytime they like. They're wearing them on that specific day to spark a reaction from the Mexicans, and in my book that is extremely xenophobic.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post

You're part Mexican aint ya VD? What is the relationship with the americans like over there?
    Very similar to English and the Muslims over here i reckon.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's the thing though. They aren't wearing them anytime they like. They're wearing them on that specific day to spark a reaction from the Mexicans, and in my book that is extremely xenophobic.
    I just don't get how the Mexicans living in America can be upset by American people wearing their own colours. It is a bit rude, but that's it. Would it really upset you that much? I know it wouldn't bother me. If the Koreans all started wearing Korean flags, would I be upset? No, I know they are all hardened nationalists. It wouldn't bother me a bit.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just don't get how the Mexicans living in America can be upset by American people wearing their own colours. It is a bit rude, but that's it. Would it really upset you that much? I know it wouldn't bother me. If the Koreans all started wearing Korean flags, would I be upset? No, I know they are all hardened nationalists. It wouldn't bother me a bit.
    Because it's the message that the t-shirt conveys. And it's the thought that's gone in to choosing to wear it on that very specific way. That's what some Mexican people might find upsetting. It's the acknowledgment that they're not really accepted by some Americans. Granted, you'd be okay with it in Korea, but i find it hard to believe that you're viewed as a second class citizen in Korea (correct me if i'm wrong).

Plus the teacher only sent them home in case it caused a problem.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Miles if South Korea decided to celebrate an National British day and on that day, and that day only several of your fellow Korean teachers turned up draped in the Korean flag I guarantee you you would take offence to that and feel as if they were deliberately telling you to fuck off home.

It has NOTHING to do with rights, freedoms or political correctness, it's just simple racism and aggression.

It's no different really to the crazed Phelps Baptist church picketing the funerals of fallen US soldiers and celebrating their deaths.

Yes it IS their right to do so according to freedom of speech, but it's an incitement to hate and violence and so everybody universally hates them for it.

You just sound like a racist to me, or at the very least someone who is happy to offend an entire minority group in order to make a very petty point.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Miles if South Korea decided to celebrate an National British day and on that day, and that day only several of your fellow Korean teachers turned up draped in the Korean flag I guarantee you you would take offence to that and feel as if they were deliberately telling you to fuck off home.

It has NOTHING to do with rights, freedoms or political correctness, it's just simple racism and aggression.

It's no different really to the crazed Phelps Baptist church picketing the funerals of fallen US soldiers and celebrating their deaths.

Yes it IS their right to do so according to freedom of speech, but it's an incitement to hate and violence and so everybody universally hates them for it.

You just sound like a racist to me, or at the very least someone who is happy to offend an entire minority group in order to make a very petty point.
    I wouldn't say he sounds like a racist but other than that i fully agree with your post.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wouldn't say he sounds like a racist but other than that i fully agree with your post.

Maybe not, but I'm exercising my democratic right to call him a racist and if he doesn't like it he can fuck off the forum

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Because it's the message that the t-shirt conveys. And it's the thought that's gone in to choosing to wear it on that very specific way. That's what some Mexican people might find upsetting. It's the acknowledgment that they're not really accepted by some Americans. Granted, you'd be okay with it in Korea, but i find it hard to believe that you're viewed as a second class citizen in Korea (correct me if i'm wrong).

Plus the teacher only sent them home in case it caused a problem.
    No, I am not seen as a second class citizen.

But you know, I do worry about the future and my children. They won't be English and they won't quite be Korean, but no chance they will ever end up in a situation such as this. They will need to respect their Korean side as well as their English side. I would always teach them about the idiocy of real life people and how characters in books are so much better than the twits on forums.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My original argument was about the shirts and that people should wear what they want no matter what the faith of those who disagree on that particular day is.

Actually, no Bilbo, I wouldn't be offended by those teachers. It wouldn't bother me. Despite your argument, I am not nationalistic and never will be.

And I cannot believe you have just suggested that I am a racist. You are better than that Bilbo!

Thread Information