Thread: US students kicked of school campus for wearing US flag t-shirts

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: US students kicked of school campus for wearing US flag t-shirts

Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu apprentice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post
    Do you not believe the kids were wearing the t-shirts to provoke or send out a message to the Mexican kids at the school?
    No and nothing has been reported to my knowledge to support such a line of thought. Could it have been the case? Sure but then it wouldn't have been about sending the kids home for wearing American flag apparel but for being disruptive in attitude or behavior and that is more acceptable to me if that is the case but I have heard/read/seen nothing to support that what I described was actually the case.

Also Cinco de Mayo is not an American holiday and I find that since it's apparently being celebrated in American schools it shows that we're trying to be inclusive. The American culture has been a lot more inclusive in recent years look at New York we have the Puerto Rican Day parade, St. Paddy's Day Parade, etc.....we're a melting pot and the key to that is that the groups that moved here in the past have assimilated into society, lots of Mexicans would rather be Mexican than be considered American or Mexican-American.

I just think that certain groups are trying to be so PC that average Americans have no say, are able to support nothing, and are able to do nothing but acquiesce to special intrest groups and that's bullshit
    Erm, surely the Principal sending the kids home should ring some alarm bells? No?

Do you believe those kids wear the flag t-shirts regulalrly? and was it just a coincedence that they all chose to wear it on that very same day - 5th May? If they do, then i'd agree with you. They're not doing anything out of the ordinary. But i believe they chose to wear them purely to get a reaction and that's why i feel the Principal was right in sending them home.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post
    Do you not believe the kids were wearing the t-shirts to provoke or send out a message to the Mexican kids at the school?
    No and nothing has been reported to my knowledge to support such a line of thought. Could it have been the case? Sure but then it wouldn't have been about sending the kids home for wearing American flag apparel but for being disruptive in attitude or behavior and that is more acceptable to me if that is the case but I have heard/read/seen nothing to support that what I described was actually the case.

Also Cinco de Mayo is not an American holiday and I find that since it's apparently being celebrated in American schools it shows that we're trying to be inclusive. The American culture has been a lot more inclusive in recent years look at New York we have the Puerto Rican Day parade, St. Paddy's Day Parade, etc.....we're a melting pot and the key to that is that the groups that moved here in the past have assimilated into society, lots of Mexicans would rather be Mexican than be considered American or Mexican-American.

I just think that certain groups are trying to be so PC that average Americans have no say, are able to support nothing, and are able to do nothing but acquiesce to special intrest groups and that's bullshit

No and nothing has been reported to my knowledge to support such a line of thought. Could it have been the case?

Doesn't the mere fact that they went to the news stations and are planning to sue over this suggest they are were more concerned with making a statement than in building relations with their Mexican classmates?

Also Cinco de Mayo is not an American holiday and I find that since it's apparently being celebrated in American schools it shows that we're trying to be inclusive.

I agree which is why when the principle felt these kids were acting in ways that would be considered exclusive, he acted in accordance with progressive and reconcilliatory American sentiment in telling them remove the clothing or else take the afternoon off.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    No and nothing has been reported to my knowledge to support such a line of thought. Could it have been the case?

Doesn't the mere fact that they went to the news stations and are planning to sue over this suggest they are were more concerned with making a statement than in building relations with their Mexican classmates?

Also Cinco de Mayo is not an American holiday and I find that since it's apparently being celebrated in American schools it shows that we're trying to be inclusive.

I agree which is why when the principle felt these kids were acting in ways that would be considered exclusive, he acted in accordance with progressive and reconcilliatory American sentiment in telling them remove the clothing or else take the afternoon off.
    #1. No, I think I'd be outraged enough to call in the news if that had happened to my kids. And yes I would sue on account of this it is that outrageous.

#2. Yes but let's not forget it's IN AMERICA that they are celebrating Cinco de Mayo a MEXICAN holiday...in Mexico do they recognize the 4th of July or Memorial Day?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

#1. No, I think I'd be outraged enough to call in the news if that had happened to my kids. And yes I would sue on account of this it is that outrageous.

#2. Yes but let's not forget it's IN AMERICA that they are celebrating Cinco de Mayo a MEXICAN holiday...in Mexico do they recognize the 4th of July or Memorial Day?
    American's aren't repatriating to Mexico though, I guess because it's a shit hole with nothing there worth taking. They are instead setting up communities in Iraq and Afghanistan and helping themselves to those countries natural resources.

El Kabong Guest

American's aren't repatriating to Mexico though, I guess because it's a shit hole with nothing there worth taking. They are instead setting up communities in Iraq and Afghanistan and helping themselves to those countries natural resources.
    ....so it's cool that the US allows people from other cultures and countries to celebrate whatever they like but our own citizens in their own country can't support their country

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

....so it's cool that the US allows people from other cultures and countries to celebrate whatever they like but our own citizens in their own country can't support their country
    It's one day a year Lyle. Would you think it appropriate to dress up like it was Halloween on some war rememberence day or like Father Christmas on Hanukkah?

It's just about respecting an occasion. By dressing themselves in American garb they were just making a show of disrespecting the Meixcan celebration.

I just don't see it any differently to wearing a Nazi uniform to attend a school Rememberence Day service or dressing as a roman soldier on Easter. It might not be quite as visually striking but the intent to offend is exactly the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If it'd happen in France, they it's pretty much understandable.

El Kabong Guest

It's one day a year Lyle. Would you think it appropriate to dress up like it was Halloween on some war rememberence day or like Father Christmas on Hanukkah?

It's just about respecting an occasion. By dressing themselves in American garb they were just making a show of disrespecting the Meixcan celebration.

I just don't see it any differently to wearing a Nazi uniform to attend a school Rememberence Day service or dressing as a roman soldier on Easter. It might not be quite as visually striking but the intent to offend is exactly the same.
    #1. That's erroneous because as I have stated before "Cinco de Mayo has nothing to do with America ergo wearing an American flag anything (especially in America) should not be considered an insult"

#2. You have shown time and time again you cannot prove intent

#3 The Nazi's killed millions of Jews and Remeberence Day is to remember and respect those who lost their lives, the Romans oppressed Christians for hundreds of years and "Cinco De Mayo" is about the Mexicans defeating the French at the Battle of Puebla so to make your arguement hold water it would be like someone wearing a baseball team's hat to a football game it would just not be relevant it doesn't mean it's offensive just because it has nothing to do with that day/event

Thread Information