I know, I know another typically life affirming thread from good old Mr Happy!

I've been sitting here contemplating whether or not we are reaching the final stages before the eventual collapse of advanced human civilisation. I look at the way developed nations have become with their gross economic mismanagement and look at the way our societies are motivated by nothing more than greed and the need to make as much money as possible without any concern for the wider costs to society. This latest oil leak is just a case in point. Huge damage being done to the environment without any of the neccessary precautions being put in place to prevent such a thing happening in the first place. The oceans are already known to have become acidic and rather tough for the underwater dwellers. Everyday we are putting god knows how much junk into the air through car emmisions, cow farts and general environmental malpractice. Any talk of preserving the environment has vanished in the mainstream media as we are now obsessed with national deficits. We are also now seeing financial institutions playing games with the food markets. Over the past few years the prices of commodities such as wheat and rice have doubled and in the case of rice even tripled in value because the same people who were playing games with the mortgage markets are now doing it with food. Food prices will continue to soar not only because of increased demand but because food markets are the latest playground of the super rich. Furthermore, there are no jobs for young people. Machines are doing all the jobs that have traditionally been the preserve of young factory workers or else factories are simply relocated in cheaper places overseas.

Maybe it's just me being an incredible pessimist, but I struggle to see the 21st century being a very good one. I'm sensing that mankind has overstayed it's welcome and that earth would be better off with us going the way of the dodo.

Thoughts?