Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Combos against shorter fighters

Iv been training for a while and being upping the sparring recently as iv got a fight in 5 weeks.
    Im 6'6" 90kg and most of the people i spar and fight are a fair bit shorter. I can usually keep them at a distance with long jabs and crosses but i find it difficult to punch to the body with any combinations. If i get rushed i lock it up.
    I change up the straight combinations double or triple jabs, lead rights, 1-2-1. But just cant find somthing that works with much success other than this.
    Any ideas that work for a taller fighter other than keeping distance?
    I dont like getting ideas from people other than my trainer but im just want to see what you guys know works.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Combos against shorter fighters

Well the jab is the essential ingredient, the jab can and will win you the fight

However, I guess to exploit the height differential you could throw an uppercut after the jab and maybe finish with a hook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_Egg View Post
    Iv been training for a while and being upping the sparring recently as iv got a fight in 5 weeks.
    Im 6'6" 90kg and most of the people i spar and fight are a fair bit shorter. I can usually keep them at a distance with long jabs and crosses but i find it difficult to punch to the body with any combinations. If i get rushed i lock it up.
    I change up the straight combinations double or triple jabs, lead rights, 1-2-1. But just cant find somthing that works with much success other than this.
    Any ideas that work for a taller fighter other than keeping distance?
    I dont like getting ideas from people other than my trainer but im just want to see what you guys know works.
    I am one of those 'shorter people' (at your weight or near abouts) at 5"10' and you really need to fix that "lock it up" issue.

Quick suggestion (there are threads on this forum with more detailed explanations) is to practice taking AT MOST one step back and then force yourself to go sideways or circling. Practice moving left and right even before you are rushed. Keep moving.

Additionally, I have really LONG arms (almost as long as yours likely) and so even guys a bit taller than me usually have shorter arms. I have found that moving and emphasizing my jab keeps them off much easier. Work on counterpunching a lot.

Work on staying away (to use your reach) WHILE you hold the center of the ring (by stepping and circling.)

Tell us what you hear and find elsewhere too!

--
    HerbM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey Aus

Height is only an advantage if you're a better boxer than your opponent. It's worth noting that if a shorter opponent can draw your lead by using feints etc, then that opponent nullifies your reach advantage; what I'm trying to say is that you need to be assertive and get conrtol of an opponent right from the outset without concerning yourself too deeply about what that opponent is doing.

Secondly, don't seek to tie a shorter opponent up as a matter of course. Obviously a guy with shorter arms has a theoretical advantage when up close, so it's in your interest to keep it at long range as much as possible. When the opponent 'rushes' you, rather than seeking to tie him up, unleash 2, 3 at a maximum very short powerful shots, then pivot away to long range again. This approach will make the opponent panic as they can't get near you at long range, and even in their 'domain' of short range they are still taking a kicking...give 'em nowhere to hide!!!

Take it easy mate

Fran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fran@myboxingcoach View Post
    Hey Aus

Height is only an advantage if you're a better boxer than your opponent. It's worth noting that if a shorter opponent can draw your lead by using feints etc, then that opponent nullifies your reach advantage; what I'm trying to say is that you need to be assertive and get conrtol of an opponent right from the outset without concerning yourself too deeply about what that opponent is doing.

Secondly, don't seek to tie a shorter opponent up as a matter of course. Obviously a guy with shorter arms has a theoretical advantage when up close, so it's in your interest to keep it at long range as much as possible. When the opponent 'rushes' you, rather than seeking to tie him up, unleash 2, 3 at a maximum very short powerful shots, then pivot away to long range again. This approach will make the opponent panic as they can't get near you at long range, and even in their 'domain' of short range they are still taking a kicking...give 'em nowhere to hide!!!

Take it easy mate

Fran
    Iv taken a bit on from what you have said fran plus some of what my coach has said also.
    Iv found a little success with waiting rather than chasing landing a combo than moving and only moving in once i have the other guy at a disadvantage. I have found that this has worked for myself. When im rushed im able to move now rather than just tying them up.
    Now it just more hard work, hopefully i get over this flu soon....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shorter opponents are used to people trying to keep them at the end of their jab. Feint jabs to see how they react. Alot of shorter guys like to duck inside your jab looking for the left hook, keep this mind and you can land right uppercuts and then a left hook while pivoting out to your left. When side stepping an opponent try to get yourself in the habit of always looking to attack once you have outmanouvered them whilst they are off balance and frustrated. I havent fought guys with the height difference you have described but against shorter fighters I like to feint a jab to solar plexus then land lead right hands.

Thread Information