Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Duck-Punch-Punch from Fran's newsletter

In reading Fran's MyBoxingCoach newsletter, I was highly encouraged to keep doing something I have been discovering.

[Go sign up for his newsletter at BoxingCoach.Com and read it, it's a quick read.]

The basic idea is you can duck, through the punch, then throw it again up top as you recover.

So, my question is this: I have (a lot of) trouble with squats. It is really difficult for me to squat with a vertical back, even though I do practice and emphasize dropping my butt, back straight, back vertical, chin down, eyes up.

How much should this concern me?

Doing this (duck-punch-punch) is generally working for me so I think it is a good thing, and I am consistently working to get good mechanics in the squat.

Another idea I adopted combines TWO of Fran's tips: this duck-punch-punch, and the idea of the 'blinding jab' where you put your jab in your opponent's face and move to throw the right while he cannot see (this latter is on Fran's web site as a video.)

So, I have been doing this: Jab, and as it blinds him, duck, straight right, jab, recover throwing them back up the body to the head.

The jab prevents him from seeing me go low AND encourages him to protect his head, so sometimes it's like running a machine gun down from his head and then back up his body to his head again.

Thanks Fran!

--
    HerbM

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Duck-Punch-Punch from Fran's newsletter

Hey Herb...

In honesty I haven't checked out any of these newsletters and as a result I didn't fully understand what you were speaking about here. However, I did pick up on something I might be able to help you with.

When beginning training for my last fight my squats were mediocre at best, mostly because I tended to hunch up, allowing the weight to force me forward, placing the load on my quads.
    this indicated weakness in my erectors and other lower back muscles.
    This meant the obvious solution was to strengthen my lower back. Deadlifts are the obvious choice in strengthening the back, but they will load on muscle which will result in a change of weight class. So as an alternative try strengthening the back with hypers etc.
    For me this allowed a huge jump in my squats which translated to easier slipping and rolling in the ring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    Hey Herb...

In honesty I haven't checked out any of these newsletters and as a result I didn't fully understand what you were speaking about here. However, I did pick up on something I might be able to help you with.
    I was probably pretty vague -- sorry about that -- I didn't want to repeat everything in Fran's newsletter and I didn't review my arthritis problems (which I have mentioned elsewhere) to explain my squat issues.

When beginning training for my last fight my squats were mediocre at best, mostly because I tended to hunch up, allowing the weight to force me forward, placing the load on my quads.
    I don't do this (hunch up), my back is pretty straight, but but due to arthritis in my knees and pretty limited hip flexibility (OA there too) I really have trouble getting low with my back still VERTICAL.

this indicated weakness in my erectors and other lower back muscles.
    This meant the obvious solution was to strengthen my lower back. Deadlifts are the obvious choice in strengthening the back, but they will load on muscle which will result in a change of weight class. So as an alternative try strengthening the back with hypers etc.
    Weight class is not a (big) issue for me: I am an older guy (57) and will never be allowed to fight even in amateur (I tried to figure out how to get a waiver for Masters' but it doesn't seem possible) so weight classes don't mean much to me.

Maybe a minor concern, since due to my knees I really don't to need ANY weight, even muscle. I have generally been trying to improve fitness, lose fat, and only gain as much muscle as absolutely necessary.

For me this allowed a huge jump in my squats which translated to easier slipping and rolling in the ring.
    I don't generally do dead lifts or free squats with much weight -- due to stability -- but I was doing lose reps high weight* on the leg press machine.

*[I was moving 750 lbs on the sled for low reps.]

I also do free squats to 50% (legs parallel to floor) quite often (most ever day).

My one leg squats are terrible -- I really need to be able to do AT LEAST 1/4 squats on a single leg just to get up and down stairs effectively but this is VERY hard for me.

So would this indicate my back and legs are strong enough or likely part of the problem?

Currently I am about 195 with probably 45 lbs of fat (based on percentage from my scale), and I am trying to get down to about 175.

Didn't mean to turn this into a rehab thread for me, but hey, I will take all the help I can get and some of your guys here are pretty smart.

--
    HerbM

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Firstly Herb I've got to give you credit...
    A lot of guys suffering from any sort of arthritis would just forget completely about exercise! Kudos for the dedication.

I really can't give you any credible advice as I've never dealt with any of those issues personally, but I'd certainly recommend pilates or yoga for a little additional flexibility ?
    Andre Ward is one shining example of the benefits of such exercises.

I'll have a think for you, to see if I know anyone in a similar situation...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do Yoga whenever I can afford the time and money, but I am pretty sure that Pilates is mostly beyond me (so I have never investigated it thoroughly.)

Yoga (and Systema squats etc drills) have helped some over the last couple of years, but the overall improvement is on the order of only 10-20%.

As to continuing to work out, I actually feel my best when sparring and fighting -- the adrenaline and endophins remove practically all of the pain and discomfort as long as I am in the ring or on the mat (BJJ, Systema etc).

It just doesn't hurt when I am working against a partner/opponent.

But just to be clear, my arthritis has been with me in some form since I was about 16 years old (wrestling), but I still was in the US Army Airborne and never had any real restrictions except my knees wouldn't let me do a squat in those days.

Lately it has gotten worse, but the main effects are more SOFT TISSUE (tendons, ligaments) especially tightness and inflammation. I don't run (at boxing) anymore nor jump rope, but do the stationary bike instead.

But I do love to spar, even very lightly.
    --
    HerbM

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I understand completely, the tunnel vision effect when sparring or rolling is a unique experience. Its why we do what we do.

At this moment I'm looking to get a yoga tutorial video, my flexibility is in the toilet and it is hindering my speed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey Herb/Donny

To make life a bit easier, here's the section from the newsletter that your referred to on body shots. Herb - thanks for the recommendation, it's very much appreciated.

If there's any views/questions, leave them on this thread and I'll see if I can answer them.

Thanks again

Fran

Thread Information