Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Heavy bag drills

Just wondering if anyone knows any good heavy bag drills I can work on?

I have just bought a heavy bag so I can get some basic work in before going to a gym next month and have been browsing the web for some drills to try out. I have found one on youtube which is as follows, just wanted to know if anyone knows of any others which could benefit me? So far I have found one called the 30-30-30 drill but, obviously, need more than just this to keep me occupied:

- 30 seconds regular speeds punches.
    - 30 second 'ride the bike'. Punch as fast as you can, lifting your knees up.
    - 30 second knockout punches.

Repeat this twice. 1 minute rest.

I know it isn't much but it's a start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Heavy bag drills

I have only been at boxing a short time, so there are many people here far more qualified and able to give you advice but here are a few ideas from what we do in our gym and I have learned from reading....

1. Combo drills on the bag -- including moving in and out to get to hook range
    2. Movement drills around the heavy bag -- with combos -- my coach (right or wrong) insists that we jab while moving and only throw the power hand when we stop so we go left and right around the bag with jabs, set and throw some combos then start moving again.
    3. 30 seconds or the above, then thirty seconds of "burn out" (where we hit left-right-left right continuously while standing)

Just some ideas.

--
    HerbM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by HerbM View Post
    I have only been at boxing a short time, so there are many people here far more qualified and able to give you advice but here are a few ideas from what we do in our gym and I have learned from reading....

1. Combo drills on the bag -- including moving in and out to get to hook range
    2. Movement drills around the heavy bag -- with combos -- my coach (right or wrong) insists that we jab while moving and only throw the power hand when we stop so we go left and right around the bag with jabs, set and throw some combos then start moving again.
    3. 30 seconds or the above, then thirty seconds of "burn out" (where we hit left-right-left right continuously while standing)

Just some ideas.

--
    HerbM
    Thanks mate. Will add to my list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey Koppas

You may want to work on stamina in prep for your gym time, so here's a couple of tips:

1. Do a full 15 minute round on the bag (no rest periods). Work at a slower pace, but seek en ensure that you keep going, don't take rests!!!! Have a round timer so that you can 'theme' the rounds e.g. in the first round, stick with long range work (a la Ali), maybe round 2 mix it up with some hooking and uppercuts, 3rd round all close range stuff and well, you get the point.
    2. Do maybe 4 x 3 minute rounds (or even 6x2). In the first round, throw no less than 2 shots. In the second no less than 3. In the 3rd no less that 4 and in the 4th no less that 5. This will help you out with boxing combinations. Bit of a lung buster, but well worth it.
    Good luck mate

Fran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fran@myboxingcoach View Post
    Hey Koppas

You may want to work on stamina in prep for your gym time, so here's a couple of tips:

1. Do a full 15 minute round on the bag (no rest periods). Work at a slower pace, but seek en ensure that you keep going, don't take rests!!!! Have a round timer so that you can 'theme' the rounds e.g. in the first round, stick with long range work (a la Ali), maybe round 2 mix it up with some hooking and uppercuts, 3rd round all close range stuff and well, you get the point.
    2. Do maybe 4 x 3 minute rounds (or even 6x2). In the first round, throw no less than 2 shots. In the second no less than 3. In the 3rd no less that 4 and in the 4th no less that 5. This will help you out with boxing combinations. Bit of a lung buster, but well worth it.
    Good luck mate

Fran
    Nice one mate. Will try that out tonight. Great site by the way (if that site is yours), bookmarked.

Thread Information