Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Jack Johnson verses Jess Willard

Jack Johnson, always claims that this fight was a set up, and that he was not really knocked out.He is seen shading his eyes from the sun, in the knock out photo, he was 37 years old ,the fight lasted 26 rounds.Ive seen most of the old footage of the fight ,and l agree with Johnsons view, that he threw the fight.Jess Willard was not skillful enough to beat Johnson.l understand that this was a long time a go ,1915 but l would be interested to hear what people think regards. keo.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jack Johnson verses Jess Willard

i remember watching some footage a few years ago and to me Johnson was old out of shape and got put down by a punch...

without researching it again i would say he lost the fight to the younger giant IMO

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed Johnson was old and it was a very hot day and got caught with a peach of a punch. It was a legitimate stoppage. Johnson at his best would have beaten Willard easily. Johnson only said that years later, to make some publicity, controversy and money.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Johnson sold that story to a french newspaper in his later years. I don't think any real boxing historian finds it credible.

If you read Unforgivable Blackness, they paint a picture of a poor conditioned Johnson that went into that fight.

He had not had a real fight in a long time, he was overweight, and he was drinking and partying every night. And the fight was a condition of his re-entry into the US. Before the fight, the promotors knew that Johnson would be beaten by any legitimate fighter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If johnson was going to throw a fight, why fight for over an hour in a baking sun before 'lying down'? Its bullshit. He was beaten fair and square by the better guy on the day even though the same man wasnt in johnsons league in his prime

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by johnmaff36 View Post
    If johnson was going to throw a fight, why fight for over an hour in a baking sun before 'lying down'? Its bullshit. He was beaten fair and square by the better guy on the day even though the same man wasnt in johnsons league in his prime
    Good Logic wins .
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Good Logic wins .
    Think the story was he was waiting until he got confirmation that he got paid. That is what Johnson alleges.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Good Logic wins .
    Think the story was he was waiting until he got confirmation that he got paid. That is what Johnson alleges.
    .....maybe to rattle the people telling him to take a dive? Maybe to show up his opponent that even as old and out of shape as he was that he could still have beaten the guy.

I doubt it was a dive...Jess was a big boy and gave Johnson a grown man style beat down.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Age,debt,the elements and Willards weathering his early stuff just took an evitable toll on spent Johnson.He may have been consicious enough to know he was on the mat but never know what goes through a guys head in that condition...in the 26th round no less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that Johnson was hitting Willard when ever he wanted to and he was out of range of willard and parried his punches with ease.If you can get the fight footage ,you will see this.Johnson threw the fight in my opinion.Regards .keo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Good Logic wins .
    "As the bell rings for the start of the 26th round, a voice could be heard yelling from the back of the crowd,,, "Hey Johnson! We've confirmed,, the funds are now in your account!!",,, and as if on cue, the great Jack Johnson,,, drops like a bag of sh!t..."

The end.
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Uppercut View Post
    Johnson sold that story to a french newspaper in his later years. I don't think any real boxing historian finds it credible.

If you read Unforgivable Blackness, they paint a picture of a poor conditioned Johnson that went into that fight.

He had not had a real fight in a long time, he was overweight, and he was drinking and partying every night. And the fight was a condition of his re-entry into the US. Before the fight, the promotors knew that Johnson would be beaten by any legitimate fighter.
    Whether he was poorly conditioned, there was a proverbial knife in his back and he wanted to go home considering that he was out of place in Europe and forced to act like someone he could never be. It was in some eyes too little too late. The curtain came down. As for the fix, 26 rounds is a long time to find out if the funds have been deposited. He should have done it before entering the ring. As for the reason he either got screwed or said he was screwed, the United States has come a long way with it's attitude toward racism and for all practical purposes, it's working it's way into the closet like some other prejudices used to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Johnson, on that day, could not touch Willard and he got hit by a big right hand from a 245 pound man after 26 rounds in the Caribbean sun. Game over for Johnson. Doubtful that Johnson would have gotten hit by that punch in his prime. Not so different than James Jeffries running out of gas and essentially collapsing from exhaustion on the "Great White Hope" fight some 5 years earlier. Jeffries took much worse beatings in his prime from the likes of Fitz and Sharkey and bulled his way to victories due to his massive strength and conditioning. For the Johnson fight, JJJ was a shell of his former self with no warm up fights. Big surprise that the fight ended like it did. Johnson was like Jeffries at the end - past their prime, out of fighting trim, and lost to age, essentially.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sand Man View Post
    Johnson, on that day, could not touch Willard and he got hit by a big right hand from a 245 pound man after 26 rounds in the Caribbean sun. Game over for Johnson. Doubtful that Johnson would have gotten hit by that punch in his prime. Not so different than James Jeffries running out of gas and essentially collapsing from exhaustion on the "Great White Hope" fight some 5 years earlier. Jeffries took much worse beatings in his prime from the likes of Fitz and Sharkey and bulled his way to victories due to his massive strength and conditioning. For the Johnson fight, JJJ was a shell of his former self with no warm up fights. Big surprise that the fight ended like it did. Johnson was like Jeffries at the end - past their prime, out of fighting trim, and lost to age, essentially.
    We all do, eventually. The supreme equalizer and the ultimate slap in the face, old age.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't buy that "shielding his eyes" shit for one second. Even with the old footage, you could see Willard land that huge right FLUSH on the chin, and I've seen a TON of guys go down over the years who instinctively held their arms over their head due to being completely disoriented and going on pure instinct, even on the ground. He got knocked out, plain and simple.

And I don't get why he would brag about that, anyhow. I guess it was different and taking a dive was more accepted back then? But if a world champ got knocked out now and said "well I wasn't really knocked out I just threw the fight"... that would just make that fighter look 10x worse.

Thread Information