Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: James Toney v Randy Couture

Here's what David Haye said on the matter:

World Boxing Association heavyweight champion David Haye has been called out by James Toney. Toney, who fights Randy Couture in an Ultimate Fighting Championship match on Aug. 28 in Boston, has said he plans to knock out Couture and then to go after Haye.

But Haye, who is a big UFC fan and has trained in mixed martial arts, laughs off Toney’s threats. He doesn’t believe Toney’s going to be able to fight him after he gets pummeled by Couture, though he has mad respect for Toney’s boxing skill and record.

“James Toney is the purest of the pure at boxing,” Haye said. “He is so brilliant at boxing and his skills are so ingrained in him that he’s been an elite level fighter, in shape or not in shape, his skills alone put him on another level as a boxer.

Couture is a former UFC heavyweight and light heavyweight champion who is a decorated wrestler. Haye believes Couture will take Toney down quickly and easily and pummel him on the ground.

“Six months of training isn’t going to be enough,” Haye said. “As a UFC fan, I know two or three years wouldn’t be enough. How many times has Toney sprawled in his life? 500? How many leg kicks has he taken in his life? 300? How many Kimura attempts has he defended? 140? Even if he’s done double that amount, he wouldn’t have nearly the experience needed to win a UFC fight.”

Haye said Toney would be best off if he lands his punches early, because if he’s not finished after grappling with Couture on the ground, he’s going to be surprised by how beaten up and heavy his arms feel.

“I know from training in MMA myself that the wrestling aspect ruins your punching power,” Haye said. “After a minute of grappling, your arms, back and shoulders fill with blood and even if you then find space to throw punches, your power is suddenly crap.

“And I hit a lot harder and I’m so much faster than James, and I couldn’t land a punch on fighters when all they wanted to do was take me down to the ground. James is a much more static fighter than I am, and is going to get thrown on his back immediately by Randy. I admire Toney’s spirit and boxing skills. But he’s delusional here.”
    http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_yl...oksnjabs062210

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have to agree Toney has been matched with Couture to lose, but at the same time its a stupid idea because if Toney connects and wins it doesnt look very good on MMA at all, i agree kimbo would be a better match up both for MMA and for boxing, still very interesting though. if i was him i wouldnt have even bothered with ground work i would have just done 6 months of sprawling, knee work and switching because once it gets past that point hes going to get wrecked, and even if Toney can keep it stand up that front leg is gonna take a hammering everytime he doesnt move, ive never watched Toney box but if hes as stationary as people are saying then it seems like its gona be a 1 sided fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have to agree with Haye 100% on that...I nwas surprised that as cocky as he is even he admitted that with his being in better shape and being more agile then Toney he would not fare any better then he believes James would....

Just 2 different worlds they are MMA and Boxing...Big difference between dirty boxing used in MMA and the boxing used by professional fighters....In that I mean let an MMA fighter try nthe same thing and train 6-8 months as just a boxer then go in against someone of Toneys experience and they will get pummeled...That goes for the best of strikers like a young Lidell or Jackson.....ALSO THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE GLOVES WILL BE APPARENT QUICK...I mean you are used to 8 ounce gloves then get hit with the 4 ounce ones and you know the difference.....

Just not enough time to go in against a guy at Randy;s caliber who BTW keeps himself in better shape cardio wise on a reg basis then Toney.....

Sure Toney will maybe win the stand up but when they hit the ground then what?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DatsiK View Post
    Here's what David Haye said on the matter:

World Boxing Association heavyweight champion David Haye has been called out by James Toney. Toney, who fights Randy Couture in an Ultimate Fighting Championship match on Aug. 28 in Boston, has said he plans to knock out Couture and then to go after Haye.

But Haye, who is a big UFC fan and has trained in mixed martial arts, laughs off Toney’s threats. He doesn’t believe Toney’s going to be able to fight him after he gets pummeled by Couture, though he has mad respect for Toney’s boxing skill and record.

“James Toney is the purest of the pure at boxing,” Haye said. “He is so brilliant at boxing and his skills are so ingrained in him that he’s been an elite level fighter, in shape or not in shape, his skills alone put him on another level as a boxer.

Couture is a former UFC heavyweight and light heavyweight champion who is a decorated wrestler. Haye believes Couture will take Toney down quickly and easily and pummel him on the ground.

“Six months of training isn’t going to be enough,” Haye said. “As a UFC fan, I know two or three years wouldn’t be enough. How many times has Toney sprawled in his life? 500? How many leg kicks has he taken in his life? 300? How many Kimura attempts has he defended? 140? Even if he’s done double that amount, he wouldn’t have nearly the experience needed to win a UFC fight.”

Haye said Toney would be best off if he lands his punches early, because if he’s not finished after grappling with Couture on the ground, he’s going to be surprised by how beaten up and heavy his arms feel.

“I know from training in MMA myself that the wrestling aspect ruins your punching power,” Haye said. “After a minute of grappling, your arms, back and shoulders fill with blood and even if you then find space to throw punches, your power is suddenly crap.

“And I hit a lot harder and I’m so much faster than James, and I couldn’t land a punch on fighters when all they wanted to do was take me down to the ground. James is a much more static fighter than I am, and is going to get thrown on his back immediately by Randy. I admire Toney’s spirit and boxing skills. But he’s delusional here.”
    http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_yl...oksnjabs062210
    As high as can be my dislike for Haye... I think he's right here. a good ground game can suck off a lot of power from the stand up and I am not sure Toney qualifies yet for a great take down defense.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

a boxer with no takedown defence or atleast a decent sprawl wont will have a hard time against a mma fighter.

anyone remember ali fighting a japanese wrestler?

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I couldn't give a damn. If Toney isn't boxing then it isn't relevant. This shouldn't be on the boxing forum TBH.

I have no interest in this and it shouldn't be taking up boxing space.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    I couldn't give a damn. If Toney isn't boxing then it isn't relevant. This shouldn't be on the boxing forum TBH.

Yet here you are contributing.

At least this contains a boxer, rather than threads about Max Kellermans rap video or how boxrec isnt working

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post

At least this contains a boxer, rather than threads about Max Kellermans rap video or how boxrec isnt working
    I have contributed nothing more than to say that this is not boxing related and it is not. I like James Toney a lot, but the fact is that the man is not involved in boxing right now.

bigamzz Guest

honestly who cares about this fight|? toney is gonna get dry humped into submissiom#n as soon as coulture gets him to the floor...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Kellerman Rap video is pretty much useless and should be in LGIO....The thread on if anyone is having problems with box rec has to do with boxing because it is the most visited site when people are checking schedules ratings etc....

Just like the thread of when the runor was when it was being shut down....Thge new owners etc......

You make a comment to Miles about "Yet you are contributing" then have the nerve to say what threads are and are not worthy to be on the front page yourself.....
    Last edited by DaxxKahn; 06-25-2010 at 04:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i have no problem with this thread being here

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post
    You make a comment to Miles about "Yet you are contributing" then have the nerve to say what threads are and are not worthy to be on the front page yourself.....
    The nerve? Grow up

I havent said they shouldnt be there, I said at least this contains a boxer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

james toney stands as much of a chance against randy in the cage as randy does in a ring against toney

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post

The Kellerman Rap video is pretty much useless and should be in LGIO....The thread on if anyone is having problems with box rec has to do with boxing because it is the most visited site when people are checking schedules ratings etc....

Just like the thread of when the runor was when it was being shut down....Thge new owners etc......

Calm down everyone

Can't we all just get along ?
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

just what is Toney thinking...

this goes 2 minutes Max with Toney on the floor being choked out