Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Polishing Technique need ideas (training while fasting)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Polishing Technique need ideas (training while fasting)

Hey guys,

I'm going to have to take a month lay off from the gym a week or so into August, as I'll be fasting for a month.

Instead of not training at all, I figured I can use that time to work on technique, and do exercises that dont take a serious toll on the body. I needed people's help with ideas and drills I might be able to do.. so far on the list I have...

1) Stand or sit with your left arm against the wall and learn to throw the jab without your left arm leaving the wall, to help build better jabbing technique.

2) Various stretch's posted by Scrap.

3) Various balance drills posted by Scrap again on the Proprioceptive Training topic

4) Coin catching to build better hand eye co-ordination and speed

5) Light Shadow boxing focusing on form, fundamentals and technique.

... any other good ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Polishing Technique need ideas (training while fasting)

Will you be fasting for an entire month? (My longest were 10 and 14 days in which I did all normal activities.)

What specifically will you still eat or drink, if anything? (When I fasted, I always did juice fasts which were in no way debilitating for those time periods.)

Is this a program you are following, or is it strictly you own invention? (Might want to ask those who "do the program" [if any] what works and what doesn't for them.)

Thirty days seems a little long if it isn't a juice fast.

Oh, and if it is just a "day time" fast (like Muslims do I believe) then it shouldn't be a problem at all, except mentally.

--
    HerbM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey HerbM,

I'm Muslim, so I will be partaking in the month of Ramadan, which will be a full month fast from sunrise to sunset.. The time that its coming around this year for where I live will be approx 6am-9pm. I will not eat or drink anything during this period.

at 9:00 pm, I'll eat like a madman so I wont be able to train till atleast 11 pm, which is too late for me, since I'll have work the next morning.

Thats why I figured I take a month off to develop things that I might not have had time for or possibly not focused on while in the gym.

Since I'm a beginner, the month lay off might have a huge impact on me when I get back, but I just want to spend that time to learn.

I might just spend a lot of time reading about technique or studying various fights and training videos as well.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Trained a lot of Muslims, in Ramadam Ive always found they put weight on . Eating at the wrong time , use to have a laugth at it with them. Shouldnt worry about it, its the drinking where the problem is.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yea my major problem will be no water, that's why I don't want to train in the day. Also I hope I don't put on weight, I was really trying to lose weight.. ahh well, I guess I'll just have to work harder when I get back into it.

It's kind of weird that when I used to play basket ball (years ago) I had no issues while fasting. I've gone to tryouts (and made the team) gone to brutal practices, and full out games (which were cake walks compared to try-outs and practice) while fasting with absolutely no issues. At some point I stopped playing and got lazy... picked up a few bad habits and didn't really stay in the greatest physical (or mental condition).

Now that I'm back to training (new sport) but training nevertheless. I feel my body is most definitely not what it used to be. I really hope I can build back to the physical and mental level I was at. Fatigue and gassing out were really not in my vocabulary. Now it's a different story.

... anyways, enough about all that.. Scrap I'm also planning to do that one exercise you posted about shadow boxing on your knees with knee pads on. Should be a nice learning experience as well.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Done properly the shoulders move the knees, its a great little number. Should really be supervised, its the bodys ability to improvised by removing a base and a limb to create movement, its hard work. Relax it becomes easier.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes, I believe your largest issue is the fluids.

I literally couldn't train if I couldn't hydrate, especially in the Texas heat and this year is running sort of cool (93-95 most days instead of 100+ as usual.)

My body is TYPICALLY losing about 8-10 lbs of fluid in a 1 1/2 - 2 hours of workout.

That's a gallon or more. So much that even hydrating with just water is actively dangerous for me. I have discovered that my body requires an oral rehydration solution, something like gatoraid (although I make my own diet version) to avoid low blood pressure, heat exhaustion, or heat cramps.

As to eating a lot right at sunset, if I went all day, I would be able work out first and eat later. I typically would NOT eat a lot after doing without.

Isn't there some sort of religious dispensation for health? If you work out during the day, couldn't you at least be allowed to rehydrate properly?

--
    HerbM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The fast is obligatory for every able body adult. So basically the only exception to the rule is if your a child or your health conditions do not permit.

Working out is great and taking care of the body is great... but part of the fast is to be able to sacrifice your daily routine.

It's only a month it's not really a big deal, I'll do without working out. Personally I feel like its a mental strengthener for me. At the end of the month I'm always more focused and feel more in control of my desires. So I look at it as a positive thing for me every year.

I'll use my time to study and learn technique instead of physically exerting myself.

Thanks for the input guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Work on footwork. Tons of footwork and shadowboxing around the heavybag while you quickly focus your eyes from one spot to another.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you don't make gains in the gym( well depending what you are doing) you make gains when you rest..so look at it as a rest time, re-charge and work simple stuff like footwork, walk things out slowly and feel them then start making them muscle memories. i realize this is late but i suspect Ramadan will be around next year...Christmas seems to do that a lot...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    you don't make gains in the gym( well depending what you are doing) you make gains when you rest..so look at it as a rest time, re-charge and work simple stuff like footwork, walk things out slowly and feel them then start making them muscle memories. i realize this is late but i suspect Ramadan will be around next year...Christmas seems to do that a lot...
    Thanks Iceman, yea it was for Ramadan.. most definitely will keep this in mind next year.

Thanks

Thread Information