Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Anyone here been to Greece?

I will be going to Greece soon for my honeymoon and I was wondering if anyone has been there before. We will be staying in Athens and Santorini. If anyone has any suggestions on what to do, it would be greatly appreciated. I have no clue about anything when it comes to being outside of the US.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Anyone here been to Greece?

Quote Originally Posted by C-Lo View Post
    I will be going to Greece soon for my honeymoon and I was wondering if anyone has been there before. We will be staying in Athens and Santorini. If anyone has any suggestions on what to do, it would be greatly appreciated. I have no clue about anything when it comes to being outside of the US.
    I haven't been to Greece, but what I've learned from travelling abroad is buy one of those cheat sheet things with the basics like "where is the bathroom" "left" "right" etc. AND get one of those under the shirt wallet things keep your passport and extra money in it, only keep the money you plan on spending immediately in your pockets.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes, I have been many times. First of all, don't worry about the advice about a cheat sheet. Unless you are going to an out of the way place, you don't need any Greek. In Athens and on Santorini, everyone speaks English. With tourists visiting from all over the world, English is the common language. I speak Greek fluently but the people I was with last month don't, and they had no trouble. It is also very safe. You don't have to worry about muggings or the like, but do be careful about the gypsy children who will beg and steal. I don't mean to sound prejudiced - but I have witnessed this. Their parents sit in the square or in a cafe and send their children out to beg. It's a problem all over Europe.

Want great food? Try to go to the Taverna Platanos - very good and reasonable.

Greece is beautiful. IN Athens be sure to use the Metro. It is very easy to use and cheap, just one euro for a one way ticket. If you are near Monastiraki or Syntagma, you can go anywhere in the city via the Metro. It is very clean and modern and safe.

Santorini is beautiful. If you are staying a few days, head to the Museum in Fira or take a day tour that includes a winery. The Assyrtiko wine from Santo is very good if you like dry white wine.

The black beaches are very pretty but be sure to have water/beach shoes, as the sand gets hot. There are regular beaches there as well. Be sure to get to Oia for the sunset if you have time- it is breaktaking. And Oia is charming.

For more advice, google Matt Barrett and check out his Greek website. I agree with about 95% of his advice.

Kalo taxithi. Good travels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And if you get tired of Greek food, which we did after three weeks there, check out the James Joyce Restaurant. It's an Irish pub in the middle of Athens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

BTW, I really am not a boxing fan, but I stumbled on this site while googling Greek news, and I saw your question so I registered. If you have any questions, you can email me privately b/c I probably won't be checking in at the site.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

dude its your honeymoon... no need to leave the bedroom

i have been to Athens its a great place if you like the free spirt side of life... they all speak English so no need for a phrase book.

the Acropolis is a great little sight seeing place if you like a pile of old rocks.... it is amazing

just don't touch the artifacts it really pisses them off... i just couldn;t help it with all the do not touch signs they had out i just couldn;t control myself... nearly got linched

but yeah you'll love it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Saddo View Post
    dude its your honeymoon... no need to leave the bedroom

i have been to Athens its a great place if you like the free spirt side of life... they all speak English so no need for a phrase book.

the Acropolis is a great little sight seeing place if you like a pile of old rocks.... it is amazing

just don't touch the artifacts it really pisses them off... i just couldn;t help it with all the do not touch signs they had out i just couldn;t control myself... nearly got linched

but yeah you'll love it

Oh boy! If there are that many "do not touch" signs, I will be touching things...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Plan for a month of hard work at the gym when you get home. Greek food is awesome.
    24 Beers in a slab, 24 hours in the day.......go figure.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I actually used that line a few months ago.She gave me the biggest scooby doo reaction.eyes as big as saucers but the leering smile was a dead giveaway.Anyway.Freak on a leash I tell you.Hey have fun on your trip bud,congrats,and stay safe.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I lived in Athens for over a year all told. Hit the Plaka area of town if your hotel isn't there, you can get to it easily on the metro. Santorini is probably the most beautiful island of the lot, you chose well. You can go out swimming and there are spots where the volcano is pumping up heated water from the sea bed, it's nice and relaxed. Whatever you do don't take the ferry to Ios, it's only a couple of hours away but it's not a honeymoon place. Go to the Sunset Taverna in Santorini, Costa Yiannis in Athens near the National Museum if it's still there, peace be upon it. Also try the row of seafood restaurants in Glyfada beside the harbour if you fancy a trip out of Athens, it's only a short taxi ride out of town. Fuck me, happy memories.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FTMatty View Post
    Plan for a month of hard work at the gym when you get home. Greek food is awesome.
    I haven't seen the inside of a gym since high school

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I actually used that line a few months ago.She gave me the biggest scooby doo reaction.eyes as big as saucers but the leering smile was a dead giveaway.Anyway.Freak on a leash I tell you.Hey have fun on your trip bud,congrats,and stay safe.
    Thanks! I better enjoy my time. It costed an arm and a leg

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kleftiko

I hope you have a great time on your honeymoon mate.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    I lived in Athens for over a year all told. Hit the Plaka area of town if your hotel isn't there, you can get to it easily on the metro. Santorini is probably the most beautiful island of the lot, you chose well. You can go out swimming and there are spots where the volcano is pumping up heated water from the sea bed, it's nice and relaxed. Whatever you do don't take the ferry to Ios, it's only a couple of hours away but it's not a honeymoon place. Go to the Sunset Taverna in Santorini, Costa Yiannis in Athens near the National Museum if it's still there, peace be upon it. Also try the row of seafood restaurants in Glyfada beside the harbour if you fancy a trip out of Athens, it's only a short taxi ride out of town. Fuck me, happy memories.
    That's awesome! Now I'm really excited to hit Santorini. To be honest, I'm really really exhausted from work and I'm looking to relax. Santorini cannot come quick enough!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im more of a 'High school musical' man meself. Zac is such a dreamboat

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haven't been in 30 years. You're going to find out how screwed up America is compared to Europe.

Thread Information