Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Naz-vs-Marquez? The greatest duck in history? Fact.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Naz-vs-Marquez? The greatest duck in history? Fact.

Marquez was offered a career high payday of $400,000 to face Naz in the year 2000. He turned it down claiming he wasn't ready for Naz, even though he spent two years as WBO no.1 mandatory. Naz ruined the unfortunate Augie Sanchez instead.

The question is - where would Marquez be without this duck of Naz? It was clearly a great move. Fact.

Discuss
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Naz-vs-Marquez? The greatest duck in history? Fact.

Its like 2006 all over again.

Where's Starr?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I miss the good old days.

This is a serious topic though. Marquez, some would call disgraceful, duckige of Naz needs some serious discourse.

I'm thinking the only difference between Marquez and Augie Sanchez is - Marquez never had to endure the rocket launchers. Fact/

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Marquez was offered a career high payday of $400,000 to face Naz in the year 2000. He turned it down claiming he wasn't ready for Naz, even though he spent two years as WBO no.1 mandatory. Naz ruined the unfortunate Augie Sanchez instead.

The question is - where would Marquez be without this duck of Naz? It was clearly a great move. Fact.

Discuss
    That right there says it all. Marquez waited and waited for Hamed to fight him. While Hamed begged and begged the WBO to let him fight some one else. After giving him so many passes the WBO was considering stripping him of the title. But Hamed promised he would fight Marquez after he fought Cesar Soto. He wanted to unify the titles first. Hamed beat Soto in one of the worst fights of 1999. Marquez canceled his fight with Roque Cassiani to prepare for Hamed. Than in one of the most skanless, cowardice moves ever in Boxing history Hamed backs out of the fight and in turn faces Vuyani Bungu. Now Bungu was a fine Super Bantamweight. But he had never fought as a Featherweight before. Not to mention he hadn't fought in over a year. Yet some how Hamed deemed him worthy of a title shot. Marquez considered legal action but decided against it. He was done with Hamed and his games. Hamed creamed Bungu while Marquez went on with the Cassiani fight. Afterwards Hamed for like the 10th time again told Marquez he would fight him. Marquez said if he was serious about fighting him give him $500,000. Hamed showed he wasn't serious and said no.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Discuss
    You mean it coulda been Marquez to slam Nassem headfirst into a corner post instead of Barrera? I bet he wishes it coulda been him. I know I do.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Discuss
    You mean it coulda been Marquez to slam Nassem headfirst into a corner post instead of Barrera? I bet he wishes it coulda been him. I know I do.
    No doubt. One of the most hilarious (and actually quite sad) excuse I've heard was that Hamed wasn't in his prime when Barrera clowned him. If he was than he would of beat Barrera. Fucking idiots. Like that was actually a prime Barrera who beat Hamed. It wasn't. A prime Barrera would of stopped Hamed

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post

Discuss
    That right there says it all. Marquez waited and waited for Hamed to fight him. While Hamed begged and begged the WBO to let him fight some one else. After giving him so many passes the WBO was considering stripping him of the title. But Hamed promised he would fight Marquez after he fought Cesar Soto. He wanted to unify the titles first. Hamed beat Soto in one of the worst fights of 1999. Marquez canceled his fight with Roque Cassiani to prepare for Hamed. Than in one of the most skanless, cowardice moves ever in Boxing history Hamed backs out of the fight and in turn faces Vuyani Bungu. Now Bungu was a fine Super Bantamweight. But he had never fought as a Featherweight before. Not to mention he hadn't fought in over a year. Yet some how Hamed deemed him worthy of a title shot. Marquez considered legal action but decided against it. He was done with Hamed and his games. Hamed creamed Bungu while Marquez went on with the Cassiani fight. Afterwards Hamed for like the 10th time again told Marquez he would fight him. Marquez said if he was serious about fighting him give him $500,000. Hamed showed he wasn't serious and said no.
    90% of your post is utter drivel.

This little snippet comes from Antonio Curtis, Marquez former matchmaker at Forum Boxing - "When the WBO said they were going to make a unification, I forgot who the hell they were supposed to be fighting. What happened is this, as soon as they told us no, we took another fight. As soon as we took another fight, then they called us when we had already signed for another fight and then they wanted us to fight Hamed, Curtis recalled, of those events. Now, I wanted to pull that fight, to fight Hamed. But Nacho said no. He would've gotten a half-million for the fight and Nacho turned that fight down." http://www.maxboxing.com/kim/kim031607.asp

There you go. Marquez shamelessly ducked Naz. Fact.
    Last edited by Fenster; 07-27-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Discuss

This little snippet comes from Antonio Curtis, Marquez former matchmaker at Forum Boxing - "When the WBO said they were going to make a unification, I forgot who the hell they were supposed to be fighting. What happened is this, as soon as they told us no, we took another fight. As soon as we took another fight, then they called us when we had already signed for another fight and then they wanted us to fight Hamed, Curtis recalled, of those events. Now, I wanted to pull that fight, to fight Hamed. But Nacho said no. He would've gotten a half-million for the fight and Nacho turned that fight down." http://www.maxboxing.com/kim/kim031607.asp

I can't access the link. Nas was a great fighter, just didn't have the drive after reaching a certain stage.

Marquez is a legendary fighter in his own right, I think it's more of Nacho saying no than Marquez saying no. Just like the 30k payday to fight Chris John in Indonesia instead of rematching Pac was Nacho's brilliant idea.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Discuss

A link that leads no where. Just like your post. And I here i though you would actually provide something of substance. I'm disappointed in myself for thinking that. Anyway this is pretty easy standard stuff. The champion must defend against his mandatory within 6 months to a year. Hamed went over 2 years avoiding Marquez. In the mean time he fought an ancient fighter (Wilfredo Vazquez) a seriously out classed fighter (Wayne McCullough) and domestic club fighter (Paul Ingle). That's what you call ducking 101 there

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Discuss

A link that leads no where. Just like your post. And I here i though you would actually provide something of substance. I'm disappointed in myself for thinking that. Anyway this is pretty easy standard stuff. The champion must defend against his mandatory within 6 months to a year. Hamed went over 2 years avoiding Marquez. In the mean time he fought an ancient fighter (Wilfredo Vazquez) a seriously out classed fighter (Wayne McCullough) and domestic club fighter (Paul Ingle). That's what you call ducking 101 there
    All three much bigger names than Marquez back then. Anyway, i've something even better, straight from the horses mouth Juan Manuel Marquez admitting his duckage of the Naz fella.

Read and weep boy -

Featherweight Marquez said no to Hamed

Juan Manuel Marquez conceded Friday that he turned down a fight with Prince Naseem Hamed, the World Boxing Organization featherweight champion. "I had been waiting two years," said Marquez, speaking through a translator. "Now they want the fight. I wasn't prepared. They did not give me sufficient time to get prepared."

"Hamed is difficult to fight. Hamed is like a wrestler," Marquez said. "He will toss you around if he can. It is almost the same way with fighting (Freddie) Norwood. You have to knock him out to get the victory."

Marquez said he would like to fight Hamed as the champion of one of the other sanctioning bodies. Otherwise, Marquez said, fighting Hamed "is not on even terms."

Nacho Beristain, Marquez's manager, criticized the Hamed camp's negotiating tactics. "They want to get us when all of our energies are gone (from negotiating)," Beristain said. "They are only playing with our heads. We never want to fight (Hamed). Who do they think they are? They came out with an offer of $400,000. It is not worth it."

LAS VEGAS RJ:SPORTS: Featherweight Marquez said no to H...

There you go, you can't argue with the facts, Marquez turned down a career high payday because he didn't feel ready for Naz.

Marquez bottled the Naz fight. Fact.
    Last edited by Fenster; 07-27-2010 at 12:34 PM.

ICB Guest

Im not going to get involved in this too much, because its bait thread like the B-Hop one. So all i'll say is that JMM would of embarrassed Naseem Hamed no doubt in my mind. JMM's style is based on timing and counter punching, which is Naseem Hamed's worst nightmare.

JMM would constantly exploit Naseem Hamed's wild swinging punches, and his terrible balance on his way to a commanding UD win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hmm?.. Why JMM ducked Naz? Good question. Maybe he was still in the process of discovering the herbal piss?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

pacs,

yeah, just like pacroido pussied out when marquez humiliated him in his own country! remember?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Discuss

All three much bigger names than Marquez back then. Anyway, i've something even better, straight from the horses mouth Juan Manuel Marquez admitting his duckage of the Naz fella.

Read and weep boy -

Juan Manuel Marquez conceded Friday that he turned down a fight with Prince Naseem Hamed, the World Boxing Organization featherweight champion. "I had been waiting two years," said Marquez, speaking through a translator. "Now they want the fight. I wasn't prepared. They did not give me sufficient time to get prepared."

"Hamed is difficult to fight. Hamed is like a wrestler," Marquez said. "He will toss you around if he can. It is almost the same way with fighting (Freddie) Norwood. You have to knock him out to get the victory."

Marquez said he would like to fight Hamed as the champion of one of the other sanctioning bodies. Otherwise, Marquez said, fighting Hamed "is not on even terms."

Nacho Beristain, Marquez's manager, criticized the Hamed camp's negotiating tactics. "They want to get us when all of our energies are gone (from negotiating)," Beristain said. "They are only playing with our heads. We never want to fight (Hamed). Who do they think they are? They came out with an offer of $400,000. It is not worth it."

There you go, you can't argue with the facts, Marquez turned down a career high payday because he didn't feel ready for Naz.

Not really. The fact that Marquez mentions the two year wait suggests that under fair circumstances he would have taken the fight. You could quite easily make a justifiable case for Hamed ducking Marquez which VD has already done.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post

Discuss

Read and weep boy -

Not really. The fact that Marquez mentions the two year wait suggests that under fair circumstances he would have taken the fight. You could quite easily make a justifiable case for Hamed ducking Marquez which VD has already done.
    Not really.

Naz was busy unifying the featherweight division. Marquez was a nobody, viewed as a boring fighter, HBO weren't interested in him.

It's like claiming Margarito ducked Michael Jennings - Jennings was his mandatory for over a year.

Anyway, lets stick to facts, Marquez ducked a career high payday offer to face the Naz fella. Undeniable, concrete, iron plated fact. Fact.

Discuss

Thread Information