Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What technique changes are there for shorter fighters?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What technique changes are there for shorter fighters?

Greetings everybody!

Short and to the point:

What do you think should a short fighter change about his technique? Different stance (because he has to bob and weave a lot)? Strike differently (because he has to punch upwards)? Etc...

I'm not asking how to fight as a short boxer, just want to know if there are technique changes because of how short fighters tend to box (i.e. on the inside, or whatever).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What technique changes are there for shorter fighters?

What weight class are you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Heavyweight at 180cm/5'11", if it makes a difference. What I want to know is not strategy/tactics (e.g. slipping the jab, etc.) but what adjustments to stance, punch technique, arm position, etc. a short fighter has to make, or usually makes. Not just because it applies to me, but because it's an interesting thing to consider, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not a lot really, dont reach and work on speed of foot. Keep the knees moving with the feet rythem is important. When you parry His jab or slip, ive always found that theowing a jab at there right glove is a good way of usettling there distance.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[ what Scrap said plus...]

Some of this has to do with your reach more than your height. Being shorter is not in itself much of a disadvantage (and may have advantages), but it usually comes with shorter arms. A smaller reach can be a significant (but with skill not overwhelming).

Tyson in the early years made good use of being shorter by hitting UP under his larger opponents. Good jabs and movement to get inside and hit up into the chin or straight(er) into the body.

I am just a beginner, but having long arms (5'10 tall, reach 6'3+) it almost always comes as a surprise to my opponents when my punches come in from way out there. Most in fact have shorter arms, even though they are taller, but even those who have similar reach are surprised to see a shorter opponent who can match their reach.

There doesn't however seem to be any reason to adjust stance, good mechanics, etc. -- you fight with the best technique you can manage.

Adapt your tactics and strategy however to emphasize your strengths, hide your weaknesses, and to combat the strengths and prey upon the weaknesses of your opponents (both typical and specific.)

--
    HerbM

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Id go with disruption of their comfortable distance too:

Deal with their glove as Scrap said or their forearms or elbows, then dictate what happens at your own preferred distance and smother them with inside work as you move in safely knowing their arms have been dealt with and are still reacting; then go for the openings through the angles they leave you as their arms react to being disrupted.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey

Some very good points. I particularly wanted to pick up on something Herb says about 'skill' being the solution to many problems. I've witnessed many times a short fighter tear a taller opponent to pieces at long range. I mean, Mike Tyson out-jabbed Larry Holmes, and Holmes was accepted as having one of the greatest jabs in boxing history! A key skill that negates an opponent's reach advantage is the feint. A reach advantage is only an advantage when the opponent can throw the shot without experiencing pressure. Effective feinting (foot feint, body feint or punch feint) provides the required pressure to draw the lead and fast feet (as per Scrap's commment) will provide the vehicle to move in behind fast, straight shots with a view to continuing the attack at mid and short range.

In short, develop skill and your opponent's physical advantages are less of an issue.

Good thread

Fran

Thread Information