Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A good article about the HW division!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: A good article about the HW division!

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    I'm sorry to say this bro. But this is nuthugging to the extreme. You're seriously downgrading and dissing the 2nd greatest HW era in order to make this current era that the Klits fight in look so much better, but the truth is it's not.

A lot of real boxing fans have given the Klits their due as the best HWs of this era, but this era also is quite weak. That's a fact and reality, live with it. Just like Louis bum of the month club or Marciano fighting old and shot HW's. It's the reality this era is really bad and weak.
    Really? I mean the primes of Tyson, Bowe, Holyfield, and Lewis didn't ALL overlap and plenty of more average fighters peaked and went away during all that era. I don't think it's beyond a resonable doubt that the top 10 of today could challenge those guys. Is it far fetched for a few? Yes, but it's also not unreasonable to look at the 1992 of Ray Mercer and say Thompson and Chambers beat him easily or that you look at a 1992 Frank Bruno that gets dropped more than a few times by Arreola and Sam Peter.
    No way. I think Bruno beats both easily, and to be honest Bruno is waaaaaay worse than the rest of the list from 1992. As for Chambers and Thompson beating Mercer, again no way. I really can't believe you've tried comparing Ruddock to Arreola too. That fat fuck is shite, Ruddock was a very decent fighter. As for Big George being one dimensional, Maybe at that age yes but the same could easily be said about jab, jab, grab Wlad.

El Kabong Guest

The difference between Bruno and guys like Arreola and Peter is how well they take a punch. Cris and Sam can dish it out AND take it.

Ray Mercer got outboxed by a Larry Holmes who never won another meaningful heavyweight fight ever again after beating Ray in 1992. There's the possibility that guys like Chmabers and Thompson bother him.

Ruddock was a more polished fighter than Arreola, but he did have trouble with his weight and he didn't take care of himself and whenever he stepped up he got beat....sound familiar?

As for Wlad being one dimensional...sure, but Wlad is in his prime and athletic enough to cut the ring off and there's no where/way to hide from him in the ring....with Foreman he was slower and if he got in vs a guy that would stick and move he would be in trouble...hell Tommy Morrison outboxed him easily.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

its a myth that bruno couldnt take a punch

he lost to witherspoon in round 13 was it? tim had a dig

lost to lewis and tyson who were 2 of the biggest punchers in history

and he lost in a early fight to james smith, who could punch, but it was before bruno had really developed

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    its a myth that bruno couldnt take a punch

he lost to witherspoon in round 13 was it? tim had a dig

lost to lewis and tyson who were 2 of the biggest punchers in history

and he lost in a early fight to james smith, who could punch, but it was before bruno had really developed
    Agreed!!

Bruno could take a helluva dig, he just couldn't cover up and give himself time to recover. It was always a culmiination of punches that 'did' him
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
    Top 10 in 1992

1 Evander Holyfield
    2 Razor Ruddock
    3.Riddick bowe
    4 Lennox Lewis
    5 Michael Moorer
    6 Larry Homes
    7 George Foreman
    8 Tony Tucker
    9 Ray Mercer
    10.frank bruno

Top 10 2010

1 Wlad
    2 Vitali
    3 Haye
    4 Povetkin
    5 Adamek
    6 Chagaev
    7 Chambers
    8 Boytsov
    9 Valuev
    10 Dimitrenk

I don't see anybody from 3-10 in 2010 beating anybody from 3 - 10 in 1992 and that includes the 2 grandads!
    Amen, those lists don't lie.

The division today is poor. The article itself even talks about washed up fighters like Hasim Rahman.

I think fanboys of the Klitschko brothers don't want to admit that their hero's are dominating a division that is weak. Not the brothers fault but it is a fact.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The difference between Bruno and guys like Arreola and Peter is how well they take a punch. Cris and Sam can dish it out AND take it.

Ray Mercer got outboxed by a Larry Holmes who never won another meaningful heavyweight fight ever again after beating Ray in 1992. There's the possibility that guys like Chmabers and Thompson bother him.

Ruddock was a more polished fighter than Arreola, but he did have trouble with his weight and he didn't take care of himself and whenever he stepped up he got beat....sound familiar?

As for Wlad being one dimensional...sure, but Wlad is in his prime and athletic enough to cut the ring off and there's no where/way to hide from him in the ring....with Foreman he was slower and if he got in vs a guy that would stick and move he would be in trouble...hell Tommy Morrison outboxed him easily.
    Cris Arreola has never knocked any contender out just lower level guys. His power is not in the same range as a natural power puncher like Bruno. If the likes of Travis Walker can put Arreola down, his chin ain't gonna stand upto too many right hands from Bruno.

In the lists Bruno is 10th and Dimitchenko. Dimitchenko gets taken out in the sameway as Anders Eklund did.

Glad you mentioned Tommy Morrison - another contender that the current crop don't have.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree Foreman at that age was def slower, but to me that is testament to how great the guy really was. He was old enough to be most of the other fighters dads and he was still causing problems. I mean did you ever see Morrison fight that way ever again or before the Foreman fight? I'd have loved to have been able to stick Big Georg in his prime in with Tommy, it would have been brutal, something along the lines of the Frazier fights but Morrison wouldn't be able to keep getting up which was amazing from Joe but is totally irrelevant.

Thread Information