Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Jack Johnson vs Jack Dempsey

I was watching a documentary called Unforgivable Blackness. That told the story of Jack Johnson. It brought up the prospect of Johnson challenging Jack Dempsey to a match after he was released from prison but Dempsey wouldn't fight him or any other black fighter. So I wonder your opinions, had Jack Johnson and Jack Dempsey fought, who would have won? Would Johnson have been the first to regain the title or would Dempsey have beaten him?
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jack Johnson vs Jack Dempsey

When Dempsey at 24 years old won the HW title, Johnson was already 41 years old. So a 40+ year old Johnson vs a 20 something year old in his prime Dempsey . Geez that is a tough one right there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    When Dempsey at 24 years old won the HW title, Johnson was already 41 years old. So a 40+ year old Johnson vs a 20 something year old in his prime Dempsey . Geez that is a tough one right there.
    You have the option of answering who would win in their primes which is why the option is there in the poll.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't actually rate Dempsey that highly. Except for when his gloves were loaded.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

ICB Guest

I really don't know, i don't really watch footage that old. Because there not full fights, i like watching full fights and not highlights.

Jack Johnson was supposedly a very smart fighter, but im not sure how his style would of worked vs an aggressive fighter like Jack Dempsey.

I don't believe Jack Johnson moved very well like Gene Tunney ? which is the way to beat Jack Dempsey, so i'd say Jack Dempsey by KO.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have no earthy idea really. Thinking Johnson. Seemed more versatile, relaxed and he may have faced better comp then Dempsey because he couldn't get fame early, where as Dempsey had pickers choice and avoided some worthy talents. If that makes any sence

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Johnson at his peak would have handled Dempsey although I am sure that Dempsey did not fight 40 rounds as a champion which Johnson did. Over the shorter distance Johnson would adjust and still win.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

Here's the tale of the tape...

Jack Johnson
    Height: 6'1 1/2
    Weight: circa 205
    Reach: 74"

Jack Dempsey
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: circa 190
    Reach: 77"

I think that Jack Johnson in his prime had the style to deal with Dempsey but at the point in time you're talking about I think this unfolds like Tyson-Holmes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A young, prime Dempsey (that destroyed Willard) was a mover and swarmer, throwing punches from a lot of angles. Johnson in his prime catches most of them, but a crashing left hook from Dempsey would, I think, eventually get through. Then, how does a prime Johnson handle it? I don't think Johnson took a very good punch, that's why he developed such a slick defense. If middleweight Ketchel almost puts Johnson's lights out, does Johnson get up from a Dempsey punch? If so, does he survive the swarming Dempsey? I don't think so. Prime Dempsey beats prime Johnson 7 out of 10.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lets be honest. Dempsey would have ducked Johnson just as he essentially ducked all the black fighters in his prime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

*I tend to think that Johnson would've been a handfull for any fighter in any era... prime against prime, u really have to be a fool to go against Johnson. We will never know just how strong he was... rumor was he held back so that he could get fights, that's why he fought the same guy over and over again many times ... many say that he could've killed fighters in the ring.. that and the fact that he was black... and dating white woman.. and smart. lol, the guy was the first"original G"... there's no way of knowing just how talented he was. I'd pick Johnson over alot of heavyweights...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who knows, Johnson was as tough as they come in his prime and so was Dempsey who destroyed Willard. Granted Johnson was way past his prime when Willard beat him, but it does make you think that the Mananas Mauler would have had a punchers chance. This is one of those fights that boxing fans have already debated for the last 90 plus years.

Good thread.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    Who knows, Johnson was as tough as they come in his prime and so was Dempsey who destroyed Willard. Granted Johnson was way past his prime when Willard beat him, but it does make you think that the Mananas Mauler would have had a punchers chance. This is one of those fights that boxing fans have already debated for the last 90 plus years.

Good thread.
    Willard was a tree trunk with a tad of new growth flailing in the wind. Dempsey ducked Langford and just about anybody else with a different shade. Greb was the only one over that time frame the crossed the colour barrier. Btw Dempsey ducked him also.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post

Good thread.
    Willard was a tree trunk with a tad of new growth flailing in the wind. Dempsey ducked Langford and just about anybody else with a different shade. Greb was the only one over that time frame the crossed the colour barrier. Btw Dempsey ducked him also.
    I'm not so sure Dempsey ducked anyone, perhaps it was Tex Richard and Jack Kearns who thought that these might be a high risk, low financial reward fights when Dempsey was champion. I'd like to believe that Jack would fight anyone they put in front of him, whether or not he would have won is a different story. Dempsey says as much in his many bios, but who really knows.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arrow Re: Jack Johnson vs Jack Dempsey

Johnson wins, I've never rated Dempsey very highly.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Thread Information