User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: A Serious Question.

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default A Serious Question.

I've got two cousins that do MMA, but one of them is a late starter. And he hasn't really had any training in martial arts.

And he lost his first MMA fight awhile ago, basically he tried to stand up and trade with the guy like in a boxing fight. But he quickly got took to the ground and got submitted in an arm triangle.

But basically im little worried about him doing it, i mean he's big and strong enough. But he hasn't really got any training in MMA, and being in his mid 20's. Its surely to late to catch up now ? because don't most of these MMA guys, do all martial training in there teens ?

But my question is, is there any chance of him being able to catch up regarding all the martial techniques ? because i don't want him getting hurt and im a bit concerned.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: A Serious Question.

How was he sanctioned for an MMA fight with no skills or training?

Was it like a play fight with one of his pals? Although that seems questionable if in his mid 20s?
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

Was it like a play fight with one of his pals? Although that seems questionable if in his mid 20s?
    Nah it was a proper fight, and he goes to a gym. He's been doing it for about 8 months i think. Its just he doesn't have any martial arts background, and he was put in with a guy who had been doing martial arts for about 3 years.

I mean he does sparring and ETC, but he wasn't ready for a fight. And im not sure these guys are teaching him properly. It seems like he was thrown in with the wolves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well it depends on what his goals are. Plenty of late starters in the sport given the age of the sport.

He's probably not gonna be on an elite level, but if he's doing it because he wants to and wants to get some pro fights in..... he should be ok competing.

If he's not getting broken bones or ko'd, he'll be alright. Submissions aren't gonna cause permanent damage if he taps.
    Hidden Content

My favorite Boxer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

Nah it was a proper fight, and he goes to a gym. He's been doing it for about 8 months i think. Its just he doesn't have any martial arts background, and he was put in with a guy who had been doing martial arts for about 3 years.

I mean he does sparring and ETC, but he wasn't ready for a fight. And im not sure these guys are teaching him properly. It seems like he was thrown in with the wolves.
    Thats the best thing getting a beating will either give you inspiration or make you quit. Ask him about the gym if there not teaching him the right stuff then tell him he wont get anywhere with that gym and find him a new one. It's never to late many fighters come in as one dimentional guys and after a few fights they will be better rounded. If he can stand he can win just needs to get takedown defence. Get him learning some wrestling, maybe go to a wrestling club as well as mma.
    Hidden Content
    Records are for DJ's - Dan 'The outlaw' Hardy

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    I've got two cousins that do MMA, but one of them is a late starter. And he hasn't really had any training in martial arts.

And he lost his first MMA fight awhile ago, basically he tried to stand up and trade with the guy like in a boxing fight. But he quickly got took to the ground and got submitted in an arm triangle.

But basically im little worried about him doing it, i mean he's big and strong enough. But he hasn't really got any training in MMA, and being in his mid 20's. Its surely to late to catch up now ? because don't most of these MMA guys, do all martial training in there teens ?

But my question is, is there any chance of him being able to catch up regarding all the martial techniques ? because i don't want him getting hurt and im a bit concerned.
    First thing he needs to learn is some BJJ. They must teach jiu jitsu at his gym ?
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He needs absolutely 2 things: 1) an art that teaches him how to throw shots, either boxing, kick-boxing, something like that and 2)Jiu-Jitsu or wrestling, I've heard often that Wrestling is perhaps more important than BJJ for a beginner but I have my personal reserves over it. He might be strong and bulky but once on your back, against a guy in shape and some techniques, all his advantages vanish and as big and strong as he has, if he exchanges with a guy who knows how to trade and move, he'll spend his evening like a wind mill praying for the lucky punch. It's not too late to catch up but he'll have to work sure VERY hard.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    He needs absolutely 2 things: 1) an art that teaches him how to throw shots, either boxing, kick-boxing, something like that and 2)Jiu-Jitsu or wrestling, I've heard often that Wrestling is perhaps more important than BJJ for a beginner but I have my personal reserves over it. He might be strong and bulky but once on your back, against a guy in shape and some techniques, all his advantages vanish and as big and strong as he has, if he exchanges with a guy who knows how to trade and move, he'll spend his evening like a wind mill praying for the lucky punch. It's not too late to catch up but he'll have to work sure VERY hard.

I agree with that synopsis. BJJ is very important. Probably better to learn first. I have some wrestling experience and in class (rolling) I've always done well until i'm on my back and didn't have a clue what to do. We do submission grappling. Basically combining wrestling with BJJ. It's taken me quite a while to learn techniques off my back, and it was hard to give up the wrestling mentality to get top position. It really is a different animal. I can avoid submissions, keep top position, etc, but when I got on my back, i'd get submitted while trying to get up. Wrestling, you get too involved in getting up and give up things that someone who knows bjj will take advantage of and catch you.
    Hidden Content

My favorite Boxer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think so, but you have to train everything like Bruce Lee used to say. It is a challenge. I’ve interviewed some pretty high up JKD instructors. You can check out my interviews with them at JKDnewsletter.com

Thread Information