Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Julio Cesar Chavez

Quote Originally Posted by milmascaras1 View Post
    there are currently 41 mexcian/mexican-american fighters in either the IBHOF and WBHOF. there are 16 in the IBHOF and 39 in the WBHOF.

in the next few years, either one of these HOFs will welcome:

julio cesar chavez
    oscar de la hoya
    erik morales
    marco antonio barrera
    juan manuel marquez
    johnny tapia
    fernando montiel
    israel vazquez
    rafael marquez
    jose luis castillo

and hope the following fighters can get some consideration:

gilberto roman
    miguel angel gonzalez
    manuel medina
    paulie ayala
    jorge arce
    oscar larios
    and ulises solis (if he can win another title and win some more big fights
    i don't see anyway that Ayala makes it in the HOF, if people are debating whether Gatti should get in i see no way in hell that Ayala makes it in

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

johnny tapia
    fernando montiel
    rafael marquez
    jose luis castillo

Do not deserve to be on that list
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    johnny tapia
    fernando montiel
    rafael marquez
    jose luis castillo

Do not deserve to be on that list
    hell yea Tapia does, he's one of the most dominant jr bantamweight champs at of all time, he was entertaining as hell, Rafa well mostly due to his wars with Vazquez and how dominant he was at bantamweight, Castillo is the weakest, but his first fight with Corrales alone might get him in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

master,

i disagree!

fernando montiel - a 3 division champion with a 43-2-2 record. winning in japan vs. hasegawa i believe put him over the top. also has 12 successful title defenses.

johnny tapia - sure he's had his drug problems but inside the ring, nobody can deny his greatness. was 46-0-1 before suffering his first (controversial loss to paulie ayala) loss as a pro. made 14 successful title defenses in three weight divisions.

rafael marquez - was THE dominant bantamweight champion and his four legendary fights with vazquez easily puts him in.

jose luis castillo - i put him in there cause he's one of my favorite fighters but i will admit, he is borderline. as a lightweight, he was great, nobody can deny that. had many memorable fights and was one of the best at lightweight in his era.

for Morales, i agree that paulie ayala probably shouldn't get a lot of consideration. solid fighter but not HOF caliber. i stand corrected.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeh he's in no doubt. Nothing but respect for him with one fight exception Randall 2 but accomplishments speak for themselves.

Cant go out off the deep end and say he didn't have some fighters on his resume who were past it.....Haugen,Randall 3,Robinson,Taylor 2 at top also and he DEF had some soft touches in trying to secure that 100 th win. Come on now

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

there certainly should be more asian fighters in the HOF but let's face it, there aren't very many GREAT asian fighters from yesterday. the aforementioned asian fighters should be in but other than that, right now there aren't very many candidates. in the future, manny pacquiao, wonjongkam, luisito espinosa, hasegawa, will get there and possibly nonito donaire, if he can quit fighting minimumweights and man up and fight fighters that will give him a real fight.
    Pac is not even up for debate.
    Luisito wont get in... Hasegawa possibly.
    Nonito is still a working progress.
    PongsaShit is a disgrace to boxing.

As for not being many great Asian fighters... Uuuuummm.
    Ceferino, Oguma, Oba, Ebihara, Shibata, Gushike, Chionoi, Kingpetch and many more.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Montiel is still active he's def. well on his way to finishing with a HoF career. As he stands now I say he's in but not with a really strong case. If he can get wins over Vic, Nonito or Perez I say he's a shoe in.

Ayala & JLC will be lucky if they even get invited just as guests to the event... No disrespect but they don't belong.

Tapia is a coin toss for me, he's def. got the career but IMO short lived career at his peak. I think he'll be overlooked by more stable careers. I think he eventually makes it in.

Rafa Marquez for me is def. a HoF... I know this doesn't mean a whole lot to you guys but the guy fought a former champion in his 1st fight. Yes he lost but for me that tells me he was willing to go in there and give it his all. He beats one of the best naturally skilled boxers in the lower weights in Too Sharp (brilliant fights by the way) dethrones standing champ Austin. Not to mention the wins over Izzy.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Rafa Marquez for me is def. a HoF... I know this doesn't mean a whole lot to you guys but the guy fought a former champion in his 1st fight. Yes he lost but for me that tells me he was willing to go in there and give it his all. He beats one of the best naturally skilled boxers in the lower weights in Too Sharp (brilliant fights by the way) dethrones standing champ Austin. Not to mention the wins over Izzy.
    and if he can pull a rabbit out of hat and get the win over JuanMa then wow! For me there is no doubt he's in.

However I think JuanMa's gonna decapitate him... It'll be sad to see but I just think Rafa will fall victim to a shoot out instead of boxing out.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never been a particularly big fan of JCC, but no doubt he's a bonafide Hall of Famer. I think way too much attention is paid to his overblown record, especially when you consider he never fought anyone with a winning record until his 45th fight or something like that. The first half of his career was based on blowing out tomato cans in Mexico. No wonder he treats his son's career the same way. But having said that, he did have some classic wins over some very good fighters. So he definitely deserves to be a shoo-in into the HOF.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Has Sot Chitlada, Sung Kil Moon and Kalaxy brothers been in the HoF?
    Chitlada & Moon not in. Galaxy only Khaosai (Just my personal opinion but I don't think Khaokor belongs in the hall)
    There are only 5 Asian fighters in the hall.
    Galaxy, Harada, Villa, Elorde & Chang.
    Yes there certainly is a bias against Asian fighters from that.
    Don't worry Amir Khan will get in!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

chavez may have fought tomato cans early in his career but that's because he was just learning how to box without any amateur experience. but to go 89-0-1 before suffering his first loss is pretty impressive. not to mention he already had 23 successful world title defenses which nobody today can claim. was champion for 9 plus years before his first loss. again, nobody today can even come close to that. i think chavez is one of the most underrated fighters of all-time. but i'll bet if he were an american fighter, he would have been the next best thing since hot dogs, apple pie and chevrolets.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

chavez may have fought tomato cans early in his career but that's because he was just learning how to box without any amateur experience. but to go 89-0-1 before suffering his first loss is pretty impressive. not to mention he already had 23 successful world title defenses which nobody today can claim. was champion for 9 plus years before his first loss. again, nobody today can even come close to that. i think chavez is one of the most underrated fighters of all-time. but i'll bet if he were an american fighter, he would have been the next best thing since hot dogs, apple pie and chevrolets.
    and no doubt due to the fact that he's Mexican you think he's the closest thing to the cure of aids and God on Earth

he was a great fighter, nobody debated that, he deserves to be in the HOF, but he's not the GOAT, and there's no denying that he fought garbage for much of his early career, and well yea no one is gonna be getting the same number of title defenses but there are plenty of others who have done what he was never able to, which is win a title in 4 divisions

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So is it fair to compare Chavez's 100 wins against a modern fighters 40 wins, when Chavez fattened his early record while "learning how to box" against tomato cans in Mexico? Is it fair that modern fighters have had 100+ amateur fights and yet start their pro careers with a 0-0 record? Also, I disagree that Chavez is underrated. I remember the U.S. networks and press gushing all over him while he was in his peak. If anything, I think his outlandish record is OVERrated. But again, taking nothing from the man. He definitely deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

morales,

do you actually think winning many division titles is that impressive, especially nowadays? and i didn't say he was the goat fighter, did i? but he deserves to be somewhere between 15-20, where alot of boxing historians currently have him. and why are you so infuriated because chavez is mexican and was able to accomplish so much?

and tell me what atg fighter didn't have their share of "easy" fights? look at sugar ray robinson's, marciano's, roberto duran, wilfredo gomez's etc...all these guys fought alot of bums and nobody is down playing their accomplishments but because chavez happens to be mexican, and destroyed many of your great puerto rican heros, all of the sudden you like to highlight how many bums he fought early in his career.

sounds like sour grapes if you ask me. anyways, name me one fighter alive today who can match his record of accomplishments. and please don't even try to bring up pacquiao your hero because that dude has made a living of fighting old, washed up, catchweight, cherrypicked opponents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

titofan,

again, name me one fighter alive today who can match what he did as a champion! for one, he didn't cherrypick his opponents because about 95% of his opponents were younger than him. he fought fighters at their prime and on the way up, and not fighting on their way down. name me one fighter today who can claim:

27 successful world title defenses (all-time record)
    16 successful title defenses at jr. welterweight (all-time record)
    23 successful title defenses before his first loss
    3 division titles before his first loss
    37 world title fights (all-time record)
    89-0-1 before suffering first career loss
    fought 16 world champions
    9 years as a world champion BEFORE his first loss

say all you want that his record is overrated but find me one fighter in the last 30-40 years who can even come close to what he did. i'll be waiting!

Thread Information