530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Julio Cesar Chavez

Quote Originally Posted by milmascaras1 View Post
    morales,

do you actually think winning many division titles is that impressive, especially nowadays? and i didn't say he was the goat fighter, did i? but he deserves to be somewhere between 15-20, where alot of boxing historians currently have him. and why are you so infuriated because chavez is mexican and was able to accomplish so much?

and tell me what atg fighter didn't have their share of "easy" fights? look at sugar ray robinson's, marciano's, roberto duran, wilfredo gomez's etc...all these guys fought alot of bums and nobody is down playing their accomplishments but because chavez happens to be mexican, and destroyed many of your great puerto rican heros, all of the sudden you like to highlight how many bums he fought early in his career.

sounds like sour grapes if you ask me. anyways, name me one fighter alive today who can match his record of accomplishments. and please don't even try to bring up pacquiao your hero because that dude has made a living of fighting old, washed up, catchweight, cherrypicked opponents.

Dude... if by "many of your great Puerto Rican heroes" you mean guys like Camacho and Rosario... you need some serious lessons in "great Puerto Rican champions". We don't even LIKE the fact that Camacho is of Puerto Rican descent. I'd rather give him away to any other country. And Edwin "Chapo" Rosario was a great fighter for a brief while, but his lack of good training habits and his shady lifestyle doesn't exactly put him up there with the other Puerto Rican champions. So before you make those ridiculous, sweeping statements... bone up on your boxing history. Ok sport?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

titofan,

you don't think camacho was a great fighter? i sure do and i'm not even puerto rican. and i do know my boxing history very well thank you very much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

titofan,

i've got a hunch that if camacho would have beaten chavez, you wouldn't be saying all these negative things about him, would you? hmm, just a hunch!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

titofan,

you don't think camacho was a great fighter? i sure do and i'm not even puerto rican. and i do know my boxing history very well thank you very much.

When you equate "many great Puerto Rican fighters" with Camacho and Rosario, you're not showing much knowledge of the great Puerto Rican boxing heritage.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sour grapes, he beat Hector Camacho (the biggest waste of talent to come out of PR) and an ancient Edwin Rosario lol

i brought up the Mexican point cause you try to make him some type of victim to racism, the way you brought up that if he was American blah blah blah blah

and yea it's still impressive to be able to win titles if various weight classes, because it shows that you have the skills to make up for your physical short comings, and well it was evident that weight class #4 was way too out of Chavez's reach

i'm the one who made the fucking thread so i was already giving him credit by asking if either he or Tyson are gonna lead the class of 2011 so get off your high horse lol

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

titofan,

i've got a hunch that if camacho would have beaten chavez, you wouldn't be saying all these negative things about him, would you? hmm, just a hunch!

I didn't like him BEFORE he fought Chavez, and still didn't like him AFTER he fought Chavez. But what am I doing arguing against someone who wears his nationalistic bias on his sleeve like no other poster on this forum?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

titofan,

you don't consider "chapo" and camacho great fighters? "chapo" is already in the HOF and guaranteed, camacho will get there too. maybe they are not the best puerto rican fighters but they were definitely great fighters, imo.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

titofan,

you don't consider "chapo" and camacho great fighters? "chapo" is already in the HOF and guaranteed, camacho will get there too. maybe they are not the best puerto rican fighters but they were definitely great fighters, imo.
    Camacho COULD HAVE BEEN a great fighter but pissed it away by slacking off, messing with drugs, and not taking his career seriously, he fucked up every big fight he had, hell the first Haugen fight is proof enough

Rosario was already on the downside of his career and dabbing in drugs as well when he fought Chavez

as for great, i rate "Wi" Vazquez higher than both, and well then the rest of the greats (Trinidad, Benitez, Gomez, Ortiz, etc.) leagues ahead of both of them

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Look milmascaras... you can argue back and forth with the Filipinos all you want about who has the better boxing history and heritage. But when it comes to Puerto Rico, which has roughly half the world champions that Mexico has, with only about 1/20th of the population, don't even go there. All you do is scour the globe looking for any obscure title a Mexican has won, and publish it like it's earth-shattering news. You constantly denigrate the Filipino fighters, making it seem as if only Mexico has the only boxing champions worth talking about. Then... here we are, giving Chavez his due. But since we don't agree with you that his sh*t don't stink, you start spouting your nationalistic bullsh*t. Do us a favor... take that frigging chip off your shoulder. Ok?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Look milmascaras... you can argue back and forth with the Filipinos all you want about who has the better boxing history and heritage. But when it comes to Puerto Rico, which has roughly half the world champions that Mexico has, with only about 1/20th of the population, don't even go there. All you do is scour the globe looking for any obscure title a Mexican has won, and publish it like it's earth-shattering news. You constantly denigrate the Filipino fighters, making it seem as if only Mexico has the only boxing champions worth talking about. Then... here we are, giving Chavez his due. But since we don't agree with you that his sh*t don't stink, you start spouting your nationalistic bullsh*t. Do us a favor... take that frigging chip off your shoulder. Ok?
    yea you'd think that after already being banned for that shit he would get a clue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

titofan,

and when did i mention any filipino fighters lately? i did mention that pacquiao and luisito will make the HOF someday. and i am not denying that puerto rico has produced many great fighters. i also think they are the p4p best country in the world. happy? and yes, i have been banned before and that is why i am staying away from saying anything racial. did i say anything racial today? quit being so damned PC. some of the posters here get offended for any little thing. and tell me where i started with any nationalistic rhetoric? i didn't say mexico was the best p4p country in boxing. that belongs to puerto rico. i cannot deny the facts. and i don't have a "chip on my shoulder". i am just debating. maybe you should tell me if i'm too harsh for you so i can tone it down a bit.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

titofan,

and when did i mention any filipino fighters lately? i did mention that pacquiao and luisito will make the HOF someday. and i am not denying that puerto rico has produced many great fighters. i also think they are the p4p best country in the world. happy? and yes, i have been banned before and that is why i am staying away from saying anything racial. did i say anything racial today? quit being so damned PC. some of the posters here get offended for any little thing. and tell me where i started with any nationalistic rhetoric? i didn't say mexico was the best p4p country in boxing. that belongs to puerto rico. i cannot deny the facts. and i don't have a "chip on my shoulder". i am just debating. maybe you should tell me if i'm too harsh for you so i can tone it down a bit.

I'm just trying to correct you. Nothing more, nothing less. When you claim that JCC beat "many great Puerto Rican fighters", I felt compelled to correct you. He beat Camacho and Rosario. Camacho may well be a HOF fighter, but like El Terrible said, he squandered a lot of his talent by clowning around and not dedicating himself to the sport like he could have. And no... I never liked the guy. Rosario I did like, but he lasted WAY too little time. He went up like a flash, and went down even faster. Another wasted talent. To hear you say it, Chavez had a long line of "great Puerto Rican fighters" that he beat. That is not technically correct. All I'm saying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

titofan,

fair enough bro. maybe i just overreacted a little. hey, i don't have anything against puerto rican fighters. in fact, i admire many of them. my favorito is wilfredo gomez. that little tiger was awesome at super bantamweight. best of all-time at that weight! wilfred benitez was also one of my favorites. i also liked "chapo" rosario. very sad that he died so young. another one i used to like is esteban dejesus. i think he was born at the wrong time (roberto duran's time) otherwise he would have dominated at lightweight. he also died very young in prison. i am very well versed about puerto rican champions, contenders and prospects. one thing's for sure, the mexico/puerto rico boxing rivalry is even more intense than the yankees/red sox and it rivals ohio state/michigan, usc/notre dame and alabama/auburn. there is nothing like it and we are just very fortunate that there are great, great past and present puerto rican and mexican fighters to give us this friendly rivalry. cheers bro!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To get back on topic, about whether or not who would be inducted 1st, Chavez or Tyson or who would lead the pack. I think I would have to go with Tyson. Why? Because he was the youngest HW champ, helped make boxing come back to being very popular in the 80s especially the US. Chavez is a great fighter, HOF no doubt, but Tyson's impact on the sport was far much greater, especially when he was king of the HWs. At 1 time he was the most popular athlete in the world. Tyson's short reign proved 1 thing, that an exciting and prime HW champ is still king of all sports imo.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    To get back on topic, about whether or not who would be inducted 1st, Chavez or Tyson or who would lead the pack. I think I would have to go with Tyson. Why? Because he was the youngest HW champ, helped make boxing come back to being very popular in the 80s especially the US. Chavez is a great fighter, HOF no doubt, but Tyson's impact on the sport was far much greater, especially when he was king of the HWs. At 1 time he was the most popular athlete in the world. Tyson's short reign proved 1 thing, that an exciting and prime HW champ is still king of all sports imo.

good points, IMO though they wont induct both guys in the same year

do you have any idea of how much money they get from the HOF induction weekend?

they will get huge crowds for each guy separately

Thread Information