0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Watching UFC as a boxing fan

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattboxingfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Boxing IS fighting from my viewpoint. I wouldn't dare kick someone or hit a downed opponent. Maybe I put myself at a disadvantage but that's the price I pay for having a certain amount of couth and not being some knuckle dragging savage
    Boxing is but an aspect of fighting its a small part of stand up. So you mean to say if you were in a fight with someone and they got close to you so punches would be almost ineffective you would use a knee or elbow? If someone had kicked you when you were down then you got the chance to do so back to them you would turn it down? Why your view of MMA fighters is so low is beyond me. There are people out there would say to men in a ring punching each other is idiotic but thats because they don't understand the sport and you obviously don't understand MMA.
    Matty nothing personal but this is a dumb argument. First of all, MMA isn't real fighting. Real fighting is real fighting, where literally anything happens. No setting people up for a guillotine or anything like that, no weapons, people wear gloves etc. It's a sport, that's why it has rules. Boxing is also a sport, it's why it has rules. They're both fighting sports but to argue one is better because it is 'more like fighting' is dumb because neither of them are actual no holds barred fighting. Also, boxing is just one part of MMA standup like Joe ROgan says. Most MMA fighters, even ones with a boxing base style, have completely ignored some very basic boxing fundamentals like good head movement and other things. Secondly, boxing is a sport with it's own set of rules that have been very successful. Boxing is a specialty, it takes years and years perfecting your boxing while someone can go into MMA with knowledge of only one discipline and take a few years to round out their skills and beat anybody. What's really harder? It's hard to say. MMA and boxing need to stop being compared, also I don't like MMA simply because so much of the standup is reminiscent to watching a Toughman competition. It's just not appealing.

However, as far as the strikes while downed being dangerous, they definitely are and Bisping got the worst of it by Henderson BUT it's still safer then boxing. Boxing gives you a standing 8 to collect yourself and go get on your feet to take punishment when really you shouldn't be. At least when you're out in MMA, you can take 2-3 shots max. In boxing you can take hundreds of more shots when in MMA you would have been stopped the first or second time you got hit cleanly and hurt.
    What I bolded is an unfair argument.

Even when MMA fighters go into it with knowledge of only one discipline it is usually a discipline they spent years perfecting which could have been just as hard to craft as boxing is. You can't say that boxing takes years to perfect but is harder then someone who goes into MMA with knowledge of a discipline(whether it be wrestling, striking, or jujitsu) it is usually a discipline they took years crafting whether it be as a child or since high school through college and they are usually in a high division of what they practiced. So if you wanted to get technical MMA would be harder, because in boxing you would have to only focus on that, in MMA you'd have to focus on your striking, and you'd have to focus on your wrestling and you'd have to focus on your jujitsu.

And to say they only spent years on one "aspect" of MMA to moderate success somehow making boxing harder to do, it's no less harder then crafting wrestling skills or jujitsu skills over years. And even people that craft their boxing for years don't know everything. I could say a boxer could know only how to fight at range and have a knockout punch and go on to have moderate success against other boxers that may have been in it longer than them, but they may have no knowledge whatsoever on how to fight on the inside but they get away with it for a while. Boxing isn't harder than MMA nor vice versa, and its an unfair argument to say "well you can go into mma with knowledge of one discipline and do well, but in boxing you have to take years to craft it to be successful." That one discipline in mma they have a knowledge of is usually one crafted over years. So you can't make that argument on which is harder through that.
    Why didn't you keep bolding to where he said

It's hard to say. MMA and boxing need to stop being compared
    Which means you simply repeated what he said.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The guy has his own channel on Youtube, he obviously has a lot to say, regardless

Speaking of Youtube, where's Bigragu at these days
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Boxing IS fighting from my viewpoint. I wouldn't dare kick someone or hit a downed opponent. Maybe I put myself at a disadvantage but that's the price I pay for having a certain amount of couth and not being some knuckle dragging savage
    Boxing is but an aspect of fighting its a small part of stand up. So you mean to say if you were in a fight with someone and they got close to you so punches would be almost ineffective you would use a knee or elbow? If someone had kicked you when you were down then you got the chance to do so back to them you would turn it down? Why your view of MMA fighters is so low is beyond me. There are people out there would say to men in a ring punching each other is idiotic but thats because they don't understand the sport and you obviously don't understand MMA.
    Matty nothing personal but this is a dumb argument. First of all, MMA isn't real fighting. Real fighting is real fighting, where literally anything happens. No setting people up for a guillotine or anything like that, no weapons, people wear gloves etc. It's a sport, that's why it has rules. Boxing is also a sport, it's why it has rules. They're both fighting sports but to argue one is better because it is 'more like fighting' is dumb because neither of them are actual no holds barred fighting. Also, boxing is just one part of MMA standup like Joe ROgan says. Most MMA fighters, even ones with a boxing base style, have completely ignored some very basic boxing fundamentals like good head movement and other things. Secondly, boxing is a sport with it's own set of rules that have been very successful. Boxing is a specialty, it takes years and years perfecting your boxing while someone can go into MMA with knowledge of only one discipline and take a few years to round out their skills and beat anybody. What's really harder? It's hard to say. MMA and boxing need to stop being compared, also I don't like MMA simply because so much of the standup is reminiscent to watching a Toughman competition. It's just not appealing.

However, as far as the strikes while downed being dangerous, they definitely are and Bisping got the worst of it by Henderson BUT it's still safer then boxing. Boxing gives you a standing 8 to collect yourself and go get on your feet to take punishment when really you shouldn't be. At least when you're out in MMA, you can take 2-3 shots max. In boxing you can take hundreds of more shots when in MMA you would have been stopped the first or second time you got hit cleanly and hurt.
    What I bolded is an unfair argument.

Even when MMA fighters go into it with knowledge of only one discipline it is usually a discipline they spent years perfecting which could have been just as hard to craft as boxing is. You can't say that boxing takes years to perfect but is harder then someone who goes into MMA with knowledge of a discipline(whether it be wrestling, striking, or jujitsu) it is usually a discipline they took years crafting whether it be as a child or since high school through college and they are usually in a high division of what they practiced. So if you wanted to get technical MMA would be harder, because in boxing you would have to only focus on that, in MMA you'd have to focus on your striking, and you'd have to focus on your wrestling and you'd have to focus on your jujitsu.

And to say they only spent years on one "aspect" of MMA to moderate success somehow making boxing harder to do, it's no less harder then crafting wrestling skills or jujitsu skills over years. And even people that craft their boxing for years don't know everything. I could say a boxer could know only how to fight at range and have a knockout punch and go on to have moderate success against other boxers that may have been in it longer than them, but they may have no knowledge whatsoever on how to fight on the inside but they get away with it for a while. Boxing isn't harder than MMA nor vice versa, and its an unfair argument to say "well you can go into mma with knowledge of one discipline and do well, but in boxing you have to take years to craft it to be successful." That one discipline in mma they have a knowledge of is usually one crafted over years. So you can't make that argument on which is harder through that.
    Why didn't you keep bolding to where he said

It's hard to say. MMA and boxing need to stop being compared
    Which means you simply repeated what he said.
    Pretty much but I went into detail about why it's an unfair argument to say that boxing is harder than MMA. Since it's an argument that there's a lot of, I agree that it needs to stop being compared, but at the same time I wanted to go into detail as to why it isn't a fair argument, nothing wrong with that is there.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Killersheep is right, learn to read Majesty. You're not refuting me because I never made any assertion that boxing was harder then MMA. In fact, the next sentence after the one you made clear stressed that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Killersheep is right, learn to read Majesty. You're not refuting me because I never made any assertion that boxing was harder then MMA. In fact, the next sentence after the one you made clear stressed that.
    You should as well.

Pretty much but I went into detail about why it's an unfair argument to say that boxing is harder than MMA. Since it's an argument that there's a lot of, I agree that it needs to stop being compared, but at the same time I wanted to go into detail as to why it isn't a fair argument, nothing wrong with that is there.

El Kabong Guest

You should as well.

He said learn to read damn it!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You should as well.

He said learn to read damn it!

Appropriate since ill be getting this for the gf soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was Dan Hardy my favorite UFC fighter I love boxing and MMA it depends on you as a person if you like fighting on a whole you should like MMA its as raw as you can get to a fighting sport. Boxing is one dimensional it isn't fighting its punching thats not real. MMA is everything mixed into one thats real, thats a fight. Any way these guys chose to do it they love the sport there in and get paid to get in shape and fight!?!? Thats why you don't hear them complaining about how brutal the sport is so what's the point in us doing it?
    Wtf?

You come out with some of the oddest statements.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

OK then as KS pointed out in his other thread that this keeps kicking over here when clicking on it so I am going to make this a 2 for 1 post....

Boxing IMO is the superior sport and I will take a boxing match over 10 MMA bouts anyday of the week....MMA though is more like fighting you would come across on the street with a little more organization to it so it does have its appeal and I do watch it often...Guys like AS, GSP, BJ Penn (Beofre he faded) etc are masters of what they do and make it look like the art form it is ment to be but in such a scientific smooth way due to their superior ability...

Now with that being said....

IMO Bute swhould fight the winner of AA/Froch next.....Unless Ward can manage to sign ASAP...If he can not get either of those 2 bouts....Try the WBO champion Si&^%$#@@ from Germany (Can spell the guys name for shit so excuse the marks not meant to be insert for any ill fated cure words on the fighter)....After becoming the owner of 2 belts fight Pascal after he faces off with Hopkins (Who Pascal should beat if he gets a fair shake on the cards)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I honestly like MMA. I'll admit however, some of the matches are boring, but a lot of them are quite interesting to watch. Whereas boxing is just one martial art form, MMA has a variety of different martial art forms you learn how to utilize, as well as learn how to defend against. It could actually be quite interesting to watch how an opponent fuses together boxing and wrestling to defeat someone who fights using judo and brazilian jujitsu.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Blimey! I do appear to have caused a stir.

I have a limited understanding of MMA but aren't I right in believing that headbutting has been outlawed? This would seem to dispel the myth that it is no-holds-barred anything-goes fighting.

The debate about gloves has been one that has been around in boxing for a long time: Bare-knuckled fighting really is safer than fighting in 10oz gloves despite looking bloodier. This doesn't really work as a defence to a sport that allows you to knee a semi-conscious opponent repeatedly in the side of the head though.

Boxing has learnt a lot from deaths and injuries in the ring and there is a genuine concern for fighters health both from people in the sport and the punters which seems to be lacking by some in the MMA world. I fear MMA is going to have to learn the same lessons.
    Last edited by GuyIncognito76; 10-19-2010 at 08:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

people talking about if he had proper boxing form he wouldnt have got hit :

you stand differently in mma as you have to be able to get ready for take down defence etc too,

it might not look like it but most the MMA guys could hang with pro boxers in the ring, they just looks sloppy in the cage because there is other things going on like standing so people can't get a clinch on you, standing so you can kick and defend kicks , also Parrying with tiny gloves is totally different, covering up is very difficult because your gloves are small ,
    Thats cricket

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Poom View Post

you stand differently in mma as you have to be able to get ready for take down defence etc too,

it might not look like it but most the MMA guys could hang with pro boxers in the ring, they just looks sloppy in the cage because there is other things going on like standing so people can't get a clinch on you, standing so you can kick and defend kicks , also Parrying with tiny gloves is totally different, covering up is very difficult because your gloves are small ,
    OK so it's good MMA technique to drop your right hand as you throw a left hook?

Takedown defense shouldn't affect how you throw punches

Most MMA guys in the boxing ring would get KTFO by journeyman boxers.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Poom View Post

Hmm, seen plenty of shoddy Boxing technique used by top MMA fighters. Dropping the left hand low after flicking out a jab. Head way futher forward than the leading foot. Circling the complete wrong way (Bisping for example).

I understand the idea is to be rounded and then probably stand out in a few areas, but i haven't seen any fighters who stand out as a boxer, because generally speaking, that's what they would be - a boxer.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

jens pulver had a pro boxing record of 4-0, 3KO then became an mma fighter and had a good run until recently though.

Thread Information