Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Watching UFC as a boxing fan

I have little or no interest in MMA but I have BT Vision and UFC 120 (I think) was on there so I had a quick look.

Now, there was a British fella with a mohawk fighting and he got hit with a swinging left (I think) hook and went down hard but there was then the unedifying sight of the the still vertical fighter jumping on his prone victim and punching him twice in the face whilst his head bounced off the canvas with each blow.

I've had no real grudge to bear with MMA (despite finding it quite dull) in the past, and perhaps I've become a little sensitive, but this struck me has being somewhat repugnant. Having watched Webb v Concepcion on Saturday and seen how a boxer is protected after a heavy shot (imagine if Webb had jumped on him and started smacking him about the head) I have decided that I have been correct in avoiding this unseemly circus.

Now, where is my smoking jacket?
    You do a commercial and you're off the artistic roll call... forever
    --Bill Hicks

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Watching UFC as a boxing fan

Quote Originally Posted by GuyIncognito76 View Post
    I have little or no interest in MMA but I have BT Vision and UFC 120 (I think) was on there so I had a quick look.

Now, there was a British fella with a mohawk fighting and he got hit with a swinging left (I think) hook and went down hard but there was then the unedifying sight of the the still vertical fighter jumping on his prone victim and punching him twice in the face whilst his head bounced off the canvas with each blow.

I've had no real grudge to bear with MMA (despite finding it quite dull) in the past, and perhaps I've become a little sensitive, but this struck me has being somewhat repugnant. Having watched Webb v Concepcion on Saturday and seen how a boxer is protected after a heavy shot (imagine if Webb had jumped on him and started smacking him about the head) I have decided that I have been correct in avoiding this unseemly circus.

Yeah that is a problem I have with MMA as well. I mean the guys know what they are signing up for, and as it stands now noone has died yet. For me though it is only a matter of time.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

El Kabong Guest

Not only do I see it the same way, I actually own 2 smoking jackets.

I was more aghast at the mowhawked chap's lack of proper pugalistic defense which led to that KO. Poor form on his part and poor form on the other fellow's part for hitting him as he was out on the canvas.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyIncognito76 View Post

Yeah that is a problem I have with MMA as well. I mean the guys know what they are signing up for, and as it stands now noone has died yet. For me though it is only a matter of time.
    Killer, just have a google of Michael Kirkham, he was an MMA fighter who most recently died. Just not a high profile one. He was pummelled on the floor while completely unconcious in a move which MMA people like to call Ground and Pound, it was sickening. This terrible brutality coupled with the fact that more often than not its boring as hell with two guys rolling around grappling each other that puts me right off. May try find myself a smoking jacket on ebay.

The way James Toney lost was further proof of a sport with many ugly and shoddy ways to go down. Poo!!!
    Last edited by TheMacMagician; 10-18-2010 at 10:32 PM.

El Kabong Guest

Kicking is also poor form...

As for where one can find a smoking jacket I suggest cordarounds, they have some decent ones.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was Dan Hardy my favorite UFC fighter I love boxing and MMA it depends on you as a person if you like fighting on a whole you should like MMA its as raw as you can get to a fighting sport. Boxing is one dimensional it isn't fighting its punching thats not real. MMA is everything mixed into one thats real, thats a fight. Any way these guys chose to do it they love the sport there in and get paid to get in shape and fight!?!? Thats why you don't hear them complaining about how brutal the sport is so what's the point in us doing it?
    Hidden Content
    Records are for DJ's - Dan 'The outlaw' Hardy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

mma fighters get alot of stick for there boxing skills but the way i look at it is take the decathlon the athletes cant run as fast as the best 100 metre runners or throw as far as the best javalin throwers in the world but they do all 10 events.

El Kabong Guest

Boxing IS fighting from my viewpoint. I wouldn't dare kick someone or hit a downed opponent. Maybe I put myself at a disadvantage but that's the price I pay for having a certain amount of couth and not being some knuckle dragging savage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Boxing IS fighting from my viewpoint. I wouldn't dare kick someone or hit a downed opponent. Maybe I put myself at a disadvantage but that's the price I pay for having a certain amount of couth and not being some knuckle dragging savage
    i agree i have always been the same in street fights but that aint the way now adays

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mattboxingfan View Post
    That was Dan Hardy my favorite UFC fighter I love boxing and MMA it depends on you as a person if you like fighting on a whole you should like MMA its as raw as you can get to a fighting sport. Boxing is one dimensional it isn't fighting its punching thats not real. MMA is everything mixed into one thats real, thats a fight. Any way these guys chose to do it they love the sport there in and get paid to get in shape and fight!?!? Thats why you don't hear them complaining about how brutal the sport is so what's the point in us doing it?
    There's nothing remotely sporting about repeatedly punching an already unconscious bloke in the face. I think that's most people's gripe, aside from it being fairly dull.

I enjoyed the Bisping fight. That was exciting and sporting. A great combination. I enjoyed the knockout shot that was landed on Hardy, because imo he's a big mouthed silly twat. But even though i don't like him, it still wasn't good to see him pummelled twice whilst he was knocked out.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i believe henderson said he enjoyed punching bisping when he was on the floor ko'd
    Last edited by Drago; 10-18-2010 at 07:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

this is from the thesun.co.uk

When (henderson) asked if he knew Bisping was unconscious before he landed the final strike, Henderson smiled and said: "Normally I'm not that way in fights.
    "I know if the guy's out, I tend to stop. I hit him hard but I got that last blow in just to shut him up a little bit."

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    this is from the thesun.co.uk

When (henderson) asked if he knew Bisping was unconscious before he landed the final strike, Henderson smiled and said: "Normally I'm not that way in fights.
    "I know if the guy's out, I tend to stop. I hit him hard but I got that last blow in just to shut him up a little bit."

I remember that. Half serves Bisping right for circling onto Henderson's right hand all night. But it was well uncalled for.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mattboxingfan View Post
    As I said those guys know what they're signing up for, they should have the freedom to put themselves in that position of danger if they choose.

I am not surprised that I was wrong when I stated that noone had died. That's fine that people follow MMA, not my cup of tea, and I expect more deaths to come.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cage fighting and the like just ain't my thing. But i can see how so many do like it. I dont watch kickboxing or karate either for all that matters. I've been to a couple of the events out here, and found that it's more about walking around and acting tough than it is actually watching the fights but to each thier own.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Thread Information