Thursday

Swam with Rachel. She sat down on the steps at one point between laps and noticed a heart symbol with an up arrow next to it on her heart rate monitor. She showed me thinking it meant something like her heart could explode at any moment. I told her no it means you need to get it higher - it's too low.

Geez did that work well! It was like something had bitten her on the arse then and she pumped out 357 cal worth of exercise ten minutes faster than it took her to burn 315 in the pool last time!

I swam with her without fins while she used fins. We also incorparated some running, squats, pull-ups using the pool ladder and push-ups at the shallow end on the side of the pool. It was an easy workout for me but I'm still sore pretty much everywhere from yesterday's effort so it was good to loosen up.

Rachel's food consumption si going well. As she is heavier her resting metabolic rate is higher at the moment than mine. I'll need to be stricter than her. I'm not eating any individual thing that's really bad but dinners cooked by other people are not always great. Will have to attempt to dominate the kitchen a bit more. Probelm is other people who cook at the moment are too helpful and make more than one night's worth at a time so if it's a bit fatty we're stuck with it two nights running.

Fri morning

Rachel came with us to burnside for Road runners session. I started with the main group to do a hillier run but my foot really hated it this morning. I think my trail runner which i was wearin exacerbate the problem a bit. So i turned back and did a walk-jog session with Rachel. She's getting better at pushing herself which is awesome!

Ken who organizes the runs and follows people on his bike was really warm and encouraging to her. We went for coffee with the group afterwards and people we're really friendly to her - even though most of them are disgustingly fit they didn't look down their nose at her at all. It was really nice of them.

I have kickboxing tonight which should be ok for the foot as that didn't bother it last time. Wednesday at lunch time I got around to buying a really cheap pair of supermarket shoe sport insoles and just put the left one in my bike shoes. That helped a bit I think. There is one thing left to try though.

I need to fiddle with the pedals so they release the cleats more readily so I don't have to twist as hard. This bike was my mum's before it was mine and she always uncleats on the right when she stops at lights etc whereas I uncleat on the left so i can put my foot on the curb. It's possible she's loosened the right over time but the left is tighter and being the one I use the most giving me trouble.