0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Juanma lopez: ''i want juanma marquez at 130''

JUANMA LOPEZ: ''I WANT JUANMA MARQUEZ AT 130''

By Hesiquio Balderas
    PhilBoxing.com
    Mon, 08 Nov 2010

After beating the Mexican warrior Rafael Marquez, Juan Manuel Lopez sent a new challenge to another Juanma.

"I would love to fight Rafa again, I know he hurt his shoulder and he asked for a rematch and I would like to do it again, he is a tremendous warrior, a very strong puncher, he gave me the most difficult fight of my career. We have a date for next year in Puerto Rico maybe we can do it again there. I want the fight, he wants the fight, let's just tell Beltran and Arum to make everything work and we'll fight," said Lopez to the Mexican media.

"If the rematch goes on, then after beating Rafael again, I would love to fight Juanma Marquez, maybe he can come down to 130 pounds and we can get it on. I only want to fight the best and that should be a good story, fighting the Marquez brothers, I really want to fight Juanma at 130."

Juan Manuel Lopez is the current WBO featherweight champion and was sitting next to Rafa Marquez when this interview was conducted by TV Azteca, Marquez had an ice bag place above his shoulder, and Marquez also said he would love to get a rematch with the Puerto Rican star.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Juanma lopez: ''i want juanma marquez at 130''

Doubt if JMM gets down to 130 again easily he'd lose due to this as he is no spring chicken; but If JMM is on he stops Lopez not that Lopez isn't a class act but if RMM can hurt you JMM can stop you.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes Lopez does indeed need to face a healthy Rafael Marquez.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He SEEMED to start the fight healthy enough. He just didn't end it that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

as much as i like and respect juanma lopez, he's mistaken if he thinks he can beat juan manuel marquez even at 130. the older marquez is a master counterpuncher and would make the younger juanma pay dearly.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

JMM is not going 130. He's kidding himself. Even now Jmm would pick him apart regardless of weight.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It would be very interesting indeed if JMM fights Juan Ma Lopez.

I'll be putting my bet on Juan Ma Lopez. I have this feeling that JMM would go down early against Lopez.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

gotta love lopez, young and ambitious.

I doubt he'd beat JMM but I think he beats Rafa again maybe even make him quit again before getting spark.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    He SEEMED to start the fight healthy enough. He just didn't end it that way.

Nah. It was pretty obvious Marquez was relying on the left hook to win him the fight. The right is a bigger weapon. He just couldn't throw it with much power. To go in there against a younger, bigger opponent and have him out on his feet with only one arm shows Marquez greatness. A 100% healthy Marquez beats Lopez. Lopez himself knows it. It's the reason he hasn't question the injury. And he seems like a fighter who would question it. But he knew it was legit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

at 130 and at marquez's age now and after seeing how he plays a little bit with his weight. juan ma will win no doubt and a stoppage isn't far off either..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think if rafa was at least 3 years younger, he'd definitely have beaten juanma lopez. can't see him turning the tables on lopez in a rematch though. lopez is too big, young, fast and fresh. you could see marquez was really wearing down as the fight progressed. this was just the classic case of a younger prime fighter beating the shopworn older fighter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by milmascaras1 View Post
    i think if rafa was at least 3 years younger, he'd definitely have beaten juanma lopez

Yeah right.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rafa was overpowered in this fight. Lopez was visibly the stronger fighter...not to mention he hit the back of Marquez's head several times...basically roughed him up to the body in the later rounds and fought a bit dirty in spots. Marquez clearly is the more skilled fighter...he was landing flush shots and stunned Lopez. But Marquez basically abandoned his jab and straight right in this fight (they didn't seem to be doing any damage anyways)...and his willingness to war it out instead of using his superior skills seem to always leave him at risk. I don't see Juan Marquez coming down to 130...and you have to figure all the wars will catch up to Rafa Marquez (if they already haven't). All that being said...Rafa has incredible heart to go along with his great skill. Lopez still seems chinny to me...so i can't say i would completely bet against Rafa in a rematch.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well obviously it's just something to say after the win, I doubt JMM could even make 130 realistically. If they fought at lightweight and Marquez doesn't lose to many steps in between I think he would indeed hand Lopez a beating. I thought a lot more of Lopez a year or so ago honestly, he just doesn't seem to have developed a real skillset and basically has the one gear . He didn't really show any ring savy in beating Rafael to me, just was so much fresher and stronger that it didn't quite matter enough he was being timed so well early on. It's like he doesn't realize that he isn't quite tough enough to fight the way he does or something, seems very strange to me that he hasn't tried to work on movement and defence at least a little bit. I don't really even mean that he is poor in either area, he just doesn't seem able to actually box effectively and score points without putting himself right in the trenches. With the way Marquez(who looked about as you'd expect him to have) was able to catch him repeatedly in close with those counter hooks, it's hard to imagine him taking the same medicine from a Gamboa. That fight would be a massacre imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Unhappy Re: Juanma lopez: ''i want juanma marquez at 130''

Rafa fighting JuanMa was a déjà vu of some sort to that of his brother, Juan Manuel's scrap with Floyd Jr. in October of last year!

Against JuanMa Lopez, Rafael was a bit too old, appeared too small, and noticeably underpowered to compete at par. Add to that, because he was fighting two weight categories from peak, he did not possess that one-punch, "stop on track" power one is necessitated to be armed with in order to compete at a disadvantaged situation in a scrap. That brief canto in round four, undeniably Rafael's brilliant moment, was not only the golden opportunity to disprove the highway outcome everyone have mostly viewed as the conclusion of a JuanMa Lopez dominance, but likewise a telltale sign that a puncher's chance, Rafael in that fight, was without.

In other words, plainly, Rafael Marquez' date, as was with his brother's own ominous one with PBF Jr, was "unarmed" of a puncher's chance against Juan Manuel Lopez last Saturday. Although this obviously is financially rewarding, it can be considered an ill-adviced career move in as far as preserving maximum regard to one's resume' is concerned... IMHO.

To this all, I will be surprised to ever see Rafael in a rematch with Juan Manuel anytime soon, as it is, the talks for a rematch is as hollow as the shoulder injury suffered at fight-night, if one is reminded that he was the receiving party of a battering administered at full fury by the advantaged side from the young and capable, undefeated Puerto Rican, Juan Manuel Lopez.

A rematch only singularly makes sense to that side of Juan Ma's. All things considered, and with a special emphasis to health, it is foolish to think that it likewise seem at all feasible on Rafa's perspective, not to mention for immediate family and well wishers as well.

IMHO, in bringing excitement at the fingertips, the two combatants proved boxing is still king! Take a bow Juan Manuel Lopez, and equally, Rafael Marquez.

And as for the Juan Ma vs. Juan Ma. The true grit shootout at junior lightweight... the Puerto Rican young lion might be accused of accelerating his call for prominence a bit! Hear, hear... got to give him that... but this is what to be regarded as Lopez' first real test. Regardless of JMM advancing age, this stll is one feather for the cap, and one for resume'... for both!

Thread Information