Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default training with tex cobb

Me and one other boxer from my gym got the honor to go to Nashville TN and get personally trained by Randall Tex Cobb. It was awesome. Huge motivator. Our warm up was to do a 4 mile run up hill with our 18 ounce boxing gloves on keeping them up in our gaurd. I usually just regularly run but keeping ur hands up the whole time made it real tough. Anyone else ever try running like that before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: training with tex cobb

Quote Originally Posted by gramm View Post
    Me and one other boxer from my gym got the honor to go to Nashville TN and get personally trained by Randall Tex Cobb. It was awesome. Huge motivator. Our warm up was to do a 4 mile run up hill with our 18 ounce boxing gloves on keeping them up in our gaurd. I usually just regularly run but keeping ur hands up the whole time made it real tough. Anyone else ever try running like that before.
    I havent ran like that, but I did do the stationary bike for an hour with 18 oz gloves on while continuously and rhythmically throwing out 1-2s and keeping my hands up. Great conditioning tool, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post
    I havent ran like that, but I did do the stationary bike for an hour with 18 oz gloves on while continuously and rhythmically throwing out 1-2s and keeping my hands up. Great conditioning tool, in my opinion.
    dam I never thought about doing that on a stationary bike. thx bro. im stealing that wrkout from you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

dam I never thought about doing that on a stationary bike. thx bro. im stealing that wrkout from you.
    go for it man... in return, I'm going to be stealing the running with 18s off you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

go for it man... in return, I'm going to be stealing the running with 18s off you
    Alright good trade then. Dont be surprised if you get quiet a few more people staring at you while your running though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

bit of a waste o time, 4 miles of lsd running? how long did that take? i only do lsd running for fat loss or to relax, not very useful in the anerobic state you box in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

let me be clear tho i am asking not totally condemming...just for me its a waste to run that long and if it was all sprints to stay in the anaerobic zone, wtf? you will end up with hurt muscle long before you get a bottomless tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think running that distance is a waste of time. It's not really long - 4 miles. Not even in a blip in the scheme of running distances. If you have good aerobic fitness then you can do a lot more before you're pushed into your anaerobic zone.

Also I think boxing is more aerobic than people think. It's not weight lifting. Done well boxing involves a lot of movement where you want to be fluid and light on your feet.

Do you really think you'd spend a whole bout in your anaerobic zone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agree with Sharla. You need a good, solid aerobic base before you can 'upgrade' your system through anarobic work. The aerobic system is the foundation that is always in use, the anarobic system is the turbo kick.

Now, if you have a good base... then you should focus on sprints/intervals etc. But that good base is REQUIRED. Unless you have a resting heart rate below 60, work on you aerobic base first.

just my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you have to do both long distance and sprints. I run 4 miles in around 30 minutes. how is that a waste of time can u name any tpros hat dont run at least 4 miles a couple times a week? probably not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i don't know any top pros in anything, but i know some mma guys that fight at ufc level and they don't run lsd at all, they do a lot of sparrig for their cardio along with Tabatas and sprint work, 4 miles isn't a marathon but if you are doing 7 minute miles, that is damn near a half hour -the length of a full pro fight. also a lot of guys do rope skipping for the fluid foot movement ,so i guess they feel they have it covered. i do know one pro trainer of mma guys that likes to personally run lsd, but he is an exception.

as for the whole bout being anerobic, i agree it shouldn't be unless it is 1 round lol...but i thought that Tabat interval training really upped the aerobic as well as the anerobic energy systems. bottom line, i just think i could find more efficient ways to get the gas

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Angelo Dundee once told Sean Mannion that the maximum he should run was 3 miles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

forgive me if i don't have the studies, but i thought( so i can be corrected) that sprints hit the anerobic energy system hard and also help the aerobic, i remember in basketball we did a lot of wind sprints and suicides, but long slow distance doesn't really touch the anerobic system. also the def. i hear a lot for aerobic, is if you can have a comfortable conversation you are in that zone...never saw guys chatting while sparring or able to chat,just my exp.

Thread Information