13 37.14%
  • Sergio Martinez tko

7 20.00%
  • Sergio Martinez decision

13 37.14%
  • Draw

0 0%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Martinez - Williams fight thread (Poll included)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Martinez - Williams fight thread (Poll included)

Ring Magazine's #5 and #6 p4p fighters square off this weekend. Who do you to pick to win and why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Maravilla v. the Punisher Poll

Sergio by decision. Why? I don't know... it's just my gut feeling after watching their first fight, and watching PWill against Cintron.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Paul Williams decision. The guy just gets better and better and learns from his past mistakes (see Quintana), I see a close but clearer than last time decision win for the Punisher!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is the best fight today!!!
    Both fighter, know what they need to do better then the first fight. Problem is, both fighters did enough to win the first fight. Mart is working on his speed and power(offense), while Paul is working on moving his head(defense). The better defense will win this fight.

Williams by MD

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu View Post
    Paul Williams decision. The guy just gets better and better and learns from his past mistakes (see Quintana), I see a close but clearer than last time decision win for the Punisher!
    Exactly how I feel. Williams by a close, but undisputed, points decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This will be a much harder fight for Williams for a couple reasons. He is not good against southpaws and he give up his range so easily. Even better, Maravilla knows how to throw shot from far away and tie you up. Look for Sergio to go to the body a little earlier in this fight to slow PWills pressure some.

Sergio is going to control this fight better in the middle rounds, I think. Pwill has been keeping his guard way too low. I feel like his promoters tell him he is going to have to get hit to open up and hurt his opponents. He definitely was trying to get Cintron and Winky to throw some more by opening up his guard. Difference with Sergio is he just could NOT see the left hand in that whole fight.

I think this fight will be harder for Pwill, who found little refuge in the first fight from Sergio's countering/timing.

The thing that still strikes me about the first fight is that the rounds where Sergio won.. he won by a large(r) margin. When Pwill won a round, I always felt like he eeked one out. Look for Sergio to pile up an early points lead again, and see if Pwill can scrap his way back into the fight. IF Sergio sweeps the first 4 rounds like he did against Pavlik and Williams.. Pwill is not going to get the nod.

I am so upset I can't go to this fight this weekend. I'd been planning on it for MONTHS! War Martinez!!!
    "Floyd needs to inject Xylocaine into his balls to gain the courage to fight Pacquiao."

- and I quote from some random guy on the internet

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyFolds View Post
    This will be a much harder fight for Williams for a couple reasons. He is not good against southpaws and he give up his range so easily. Even better, Maravilla knows how to throw shot from far away and tie you up. Look for Sergio to go to the body a little earlier in this fight to slow PWills pressure some.

Sergio is going to control this fight better in the middle rounds, I think. Pwill has been keeping his guard way too low. I feel like his promoters tell him he is going to have to get hit to open up and hurt his opponents. He definitely was trying to get Cintron and Winky to throw some more by opening up his guard. Difference with Sergio is he just could NOT see the left hand in that whole fight.

I think this fight will be harder for Pwill, who found little refuge in the first fight from Sergio's countering/timing.

The thing that still strikes me about the first fight is that the rounds where Sergio won.. he won by a large(r) margin. When Pwill won a round, I always felt like he eeked one out. Look for Sergio to pile up an early points lead again, and see if Pwill can scrap his way back into the fight. IF Sergio sweeps the first 4 rounds like he did against Pavlik and Williams.. Pwill is not going to get the nod.

I am so upset I can't go to this fight this weekend. I'd been planning on it for MONTHS! War Martinez!!!
    You made some good points. My only problem is Sergio's weight. If he spent the training camp losing weight and not focusing on learning the things that will help him in the ring, he could be in for a long night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyFolds View Post

You made some good points. My only problem is Sergio's weight. If he spent the training camp losing weight and not focusing on learning the things that will help him in the ring, he could be in for a long night.
    We had another thread about this going.. Martinez has never had trouble making weight. I love that article they had about him a month or so ago.. He'll be just fine. He's never struggled with weight. He's an athlete, not just a boxer. I heard about the 176 pounds he weighed in for the 30-day, but later that week he was down to 169. I can cut 10 pounds of water weight in a day and I weigh 145.

I think that if anything this will just open the (betting) spread up a little bit. This may very well be the first fight I bet on. If it goes 2-1 for Maravilla... sign me up!
    "Floyd needs to inject Xylocaine into his balls to gain the courage to fight Pacquiao."

- and I quote from some random guy on the internet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i hope i'm wrong but i see paul williams winning another close decision over martinez. i just don't think martinez can keep up with williams' incredible work rate for the whole twelve rounds.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Martinez, but I voted Williams by decision. I don't know, I just a bad feeling about this one from the Martinez perspective.
    Hopefully Martinez has been watching what the cintron fight before Kermit frogged himself through the ropes and other to the floor. There are plenty counters to be thrown on the punisher even though they (cintron/ martinez) have different styles.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bodog has
    Martinez -115 (87/100)
    Williams -115 (87/100)
    Draw +2000 (20/1)

William Hill has
    Martinez +100 (1/1)
    Williams -125 (4/5)
    Draw +2000 (20/1)

Bwin has
    Martinez +110 (11/10)
    Williams -137 (8/11)
    Draw +2000 (20/1)
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Martinez takes the decision. I think he'll be able to effectively counter Williams from the off, take the early rounds and box his way to a UD. It should be a great fight, but Martinez is just so athletic, great movement and can counter really well, I think that'll be the difference. Though the weight concerns me as he left himself a lot to lose, I trust that he knows what he's doing and won't be drained as a result

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

have they weighed in yet?
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can't wait for this one and love watching both fighters. I'm going with Williams by hard fought decision. He is going to look sloppy at times and eat some leather, but will outwork Martinez over the distance. Possible FOTY right here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Poll is fairly even. I'm sure we will get a good treat. I'm already looking forward for trilogy.

Thread Information