Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who does Martinez fight next?

Assuming Manny and Floyd aren't in the running, who does Martinez fight next? What do you think HBO would pay the most for? I'm not really sure. Pirog - I'm not even sure Pirog is ready for that challenging of a fight. Sturm isn't going to fight him. Angulo doesn't have a visa and if he turned down Dzinziruk, he won't get in there with Martinez. No way Arum puts Cotto in there with him unless he is ready to sacrifice him. Margarito needs time to heal. Who else is there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who does Martinez fight next?

In October, the WBC appointed interim middleweight champion Sebsatian Zbik the official mandatory challenger and ruled that Zbik must get his long waited shot at the full title by March 2011. With Sergio Martinez’ big win over Paul Williams, Zbik now knows who he will have to face. “The end rather surprised me,” said Zbik. “I was leaning toward Williams. Martinez comes into the ring in incredible condition. He has won every 2nd fight of his career early. In our fight I will have to go through the fire.”

source: fightnews.com

Hidden Content

Arturo "THUNDER" Gatti 1972-2009

To alcohol...the cause of and the solution to all of lifes problems...- Homer Simpson

El Kabong Guest

I think a scrap vs Pirog would be nice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Pirog is still a little too green for Martinez. Give him a couple of fight's and that will be a dousy. Zbik does have thirty fight's one would assume he's ready or how about JCC Jr. for that matter? A Pavlik rematch in A.C. would work as well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    I think a scrap vs Pirog would be nice
    Thats the one they are trying to make. Both guys come to fight.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pirog got great exposure though from exposing Golden Boys next bit of talent, so I imagine it would be quite an easy sell to the public in the US.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I mean who else is there besides Pirog? Is there anyone? Maybe if Dzinziruk or one of the other champs from 154 stepped up in weight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Pirog is quite possible, the guy is cheap it seems he got paid about 30k for the fight with Jacobs, I think this fight is to early for Pirog he needs to fight one or two solid fighters. Macklin v Pirog could be fun as long as it lasted.

ICB Guest

He should either move down to Jr Middleweight, and fight the likes of Miguel Cotto. Or move up and fight someone like Lucian Bute ETC. Because there's virtually no one at Middleweight except for a few upcoming prospects.

Which Sergio Martinez won't want to bother with, because he's 35 and he hasn't got anytime to waste. Especially because of what kind of fighter he is a slick fighter.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can see a trilogy with Williams making sense in the future, but probably not his next fight. Do you think Arum would put Cotto or Margarito in with him now? I think he'd toy with either of them.

How about Shane if Shane doesn't fight Manny?

I bet he does fight Bute or Ward in the future, but not in his next fight. I'm guessing Pirog is the move. That would be a fun night of boxing.

Johnny, I don't feel Zbik is in Sergio's class, but maybe at this point fulfilling his mandatory obligations is best while he waits to see how the Floyd/Shane/Manny/Berto situation comes out.
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 11-23-2010 at 03:15 PM.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    I can see a trilogy with Williams making sense in the future, but probably not his next fight. Do you think Arum would put Cotto or Margarito in with him now? I think he'd toy with either of them.

I bet he does fight Bute or Ward in the future, but not in his next fight. I'm guessing Pirog is the move. That would be a fun night of boxing.
    I don't think Sergio Martinez has alot left at the top, because of the kind of style he has. So he must get the big fights now, a fight with Miguel Cotto at 154 would be a great fight for him.

And if he can make 168 comfortably which i believe he could, as i said a fight with Lucian Bute would be great aswell.

Im no expert on Dmitry Pirog but isn't he a bit green at the moment ? let him make more of a name for himself first. He shouldn't be rushed in with Sergio Martinez.

El Kabong Guest

#1 I don't think Martinez would "toy" with Cotto. Miguel might not be what he once was be he's a hard ask for anyone (I'm hoping JC Jr. finds out the hard way)

#2 For those of you who think Pirog is too green imagine if Jacobs had won that fight by KO, Golden Boy would be demanding a title shot right away!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

#1 I don't think Martinez would "toy" with Cotto. Miguel might not be what he once was be he's a hard ask for anyone (I'm hoping JC Jr. finds out the hard way)

#2 For those of you who think Pirog is too green imagine if Jacobs had won that fight by KO, Golden Boy would be demanding a title shot right away!
    "Toy" may be too strong of a word, but I feel like we won't see Cotto in a match against an opponent like Martinez (or Williams) ever again. He'll face Top Rank fighters and he'll be favored going into the fights.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A rematch with Margarito would be almost as righteous as a Cotto.Margarito rematch. As far as meeting Cotto goes, he and his promoter are saying he can't get down to 154 anymore. It makes sense, but I don't how much of that is positioning. Aside from the obvious money makes, I think the next natural choice is JCC jr. if he gets by Gomez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do think Pirog is too green. True Jacobs would want a title shot right away if he had won but he would also have gotten KTFO in the next fight.We seen Pirog only once so far against Jacobs and very few seen his performance against Jantuah. I would say let him build a bit more of a name for himself get another decent to good fight and maybe check his options then. My personal opinion is he won't be ready for a championship fight for a few more fight's.

Thread Information