Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exclamation coaches and Counter punchers only(PLease Help =(

my style is a counter puncher===PLease Help i am humbly asking How do you Become A Better Counter puncher............ Any advice or tips is greatly appreciated

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: coaches and Counter punchers only(PLease Help =(

Draw a shot in - if you have a defence and a counter already in mind then it's a lot easier to react and do it than if you try and assess your situation and plan your counter in the split second you see your opponents punch coming.

What I mean is - lay traps, deliberatly leave openings. You will trick your opponent into throwing the punch that you want, so that you can deliver the counter that you want to.

Here's something to try - whilst just inside jabbing range lower your right glove so that your chin is exposed and watch for the left jab your oponet will think he has an easy shot at. You know it's coming before he does because you've just tricked him into throwing it.

Slip to the right, turning your left shoulder in and quickly laucnung an overhand right befor he can pull his jab back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with Adam; I was almost totally a pressure fighter and became a counter puncher (in addition, not instead) by using a VERSION of what Adam suggested as an example.

I used an even simpler method because I was a VERY new beginner and wasn't working with guys who were very sophisticated in the technique either.

Here it is: I spent s couple of months learning to PARRY IN CLOSE to my face with no real belief that I would ever use that in a "real fight" -- it seemed way too dangerous.

Most people jab, so I didn't even have to leave an opening, just get close to in range and parry the jabs that throw WITH A PLAN (as Adam gives) for moving and launching counter combinations off that simple parry.

Would this be enough against advanced fighters? Of course not, but it got me started understanding (in my bones and my unconscious mind) the idea that:

"When he throws a punch, I parry and move while I hit him a lot".
    I think that is a pretty good working rule for a 'counter puncher', don't you?

Of course you can substitute other defensive ideas for 'parry' (that is just what worked for me at first).

Once you ingrain this idea, then you create more sophisticated techniques such as drawing him out by baiting and offering him seemingly easy targets, for which you have prepared and arranged combos (with always good movement) as you layer more and more technical skill on top of the idea.

Also, one additional technical point: By necessity if you are counter punching you will be moving (right?) -- moving both laterally and sometimes back, but it is critical you don't continue backwards, since it is difficult to score while doing that and his pressure continues.

As a general rule (not fixed) try to avoid moving back more than one step (or at most 2), and any time you must retreat, immediately start converting to LATERAL and then forward diagonal movements that get you a dominant position from which to counter.

A major goal of counter punching is to MAKE HIM MISS (or HELP him miss), then use the opportunity to both throw you own punch but perhaps more important to IMPROVE your position relative to him so that you can THROW A LOT OF your own punches more safely and more effectively as effective combinations.

If he throws one punch and you throw one 'counter' that isn't really counter punching.

Counter punching becomes an effective style when you USE his punch to provide an opportunity to GAIN POSITIONAL ADVANTAGE which allows you to unleash scoring combinations.

--
    Herb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Blacc Roccy View Post
    my style is a counter puncher===PLease Help i am humbly asking How do you Become A Better Counter puncher............ Any advice or tips is greatly appreciated
    I really should have read your post more carefully and asked this question first:

You indicate your "style is a counter puncher" so what do you already KNOW and what can you already DO that makes this style effective for you?

What are your problems with this style that someone might help you overcome?

Tell us also the standard info about your age (16?), height, weight, build, coaching help, gym, experience, goals etc.

How did you DECIDE you are a counter puncher? (beginners should not make such decisions) and generally even experienced coaches should NOT do this for beginners either -- not UNTIL the beginner has all of the basics and can perform all of the boxing movements at a pretty good level (that is of course no longer a beginner but rather an intermediate.)

I also believe that every fighter with a 'style' should train as many other styles as practical, especially in the formative years. Gives more options and you might find something better either permanently or against some particular opponent.

Professional boxers can probably fighter BETTER in any style than less experienced boxers -- they are only limited or focused on one style when compared to OTHER professionals at their level.

For many people having a 'style' is really about doing what is comfortable and easy, not about doing the necessary work and developing the necessary talent to fight in any way necessary to achieve your goals.

Before formal boxing training, I generally thought of myself as a 'pressure fighter' because that is what worked (in street fights or other combat arts) for me and it was the easier way for me to understand and dominate.

I became a counter puncher by giving up that style in favor of learning what I didn't yet know -- so really I am NOT a counter puncher, this is just one of my skill sets that I believe makes me a better and more complete fighter....

Train your weaknesses, fight your strengths.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Evertbody is a counterpuncher.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Speaking as a real beginner who likes countering but has bad reflexes ...

Agree with what others said about laying traps, looking for specific things. Read your opponent. Prevent them from doing what you don't want to counter.

The only thing I can add is that I don't think you necessarily jump magically to being a 'counter fighter'.

A 'counter fighter' is someone who can successfully apply a large variety of counters.

But you don't have to learn them all simultaneously.

Really try to incorporate a couple of counters, and work on them, and gradually ask more. You ask 'how do I become a better counter fighter' which seems complicated. If I asked you 'how can I get better at slipping the jab to the outside and coming back with a right hand', you could probably think of training drills, from shadowboxing, to double end bag, to partner drills, to using it in sparring.

So, do that, with whichever specific counters you'd like to add to your repertoire. Keep adding and incorporating more counters to the point you can use them while sparring, and eventually you're a counterfighter!

Personally, the counters I'm working on the most are:
    - slip jab to outside return w/ right hand.
    - parry jab w/ right hand and immediately throw right.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Those are all good answers,feigning, slipping and sucking them into move, as the boys have said will give your mind the opportunity to be one step ahead.

To add some components or to break down when to exactly fire on one move:

Use their extended arm as a runway to their head or body depending on if yours is higher or lower,
    Or use it as a visual block to their own line of vision to your return shot.
    Or follow its path back in with it as it returns.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think this demonstrates once again how blind the internet is.
    The title specifies that only coaches and counter punchers need reply, however behind the mask of the internet I could claim to be a wonderful counterpuncher. (I am not)

As mentioned previously in the thread a counter puncher is a boxer that can employ a large variety of counters. You must first develop a great knowledge of the shots you are avoiding and your replies to specific shots. Once you have ascertained your strategy you need experience using your own system and only with experience will you become good at countering.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with Scrap that everybody is a counter puncher- you have to have an opening to land effectively and, every time a punch is thrown, an opening is created. A very simple and pure counter punch is the straight right to the heart under a left lead.
    To me a key ingredient to being a good counter puncher is being fearless, and this comes from mastering the skills of slipping, parrying. Blocking ties up your hands and you can't punch back. You need to be able to make your opponent miss by the barest of margins and punch back in the same motion.
    And the techniques of boxing lend themselves to this- for example, slipping a jab over the right shoulder is essentially the same as throwing a right hand.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

2 quick things you could try and work on in the gym then use in the ring.

1-If your fighting an orthadox fighter and you go to the ropes look to throw a quick straight right if your opponent looks to lead with his left hand.As your back is on the ropes both your hand will have the same reach.

2-If you notice your opponent pawing with his jab a lot look to knock the slow jab down with you left hand and counter with a fast right.You wont be able to get away with this more than once or twice in a fight as your opponent will start to look for it.

Try them both out next time you are sparring and see how you get on.
    Balls

Thread Information