Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default "Getting inside"

when there is a heavy puncher throwing combos mercilesly how do you get behind those punches to get in a hook punch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: "Getting inside"

Probably you don't -- unless you are able to heavy punch with him.

Likely you need to MOVE, get some distance, positioning, and prevent him from getting to that position by movement and counter punching.

Once he is on you then it is usually a bad idea to "brawl" or "slug it out" with a stronger, tougher puncher -- I am assuming he is a better puncher or you wouldn't be worried about it.

You might be able to "short cut" his hooks with your ow SHORT hooks or straight (short) punches, but then that is another set of skills you likely don't have yet or you wouldn't be asking.

If you have the skills you can of course stay inside and just make a fight of it with him -- when two high quality heavyweights do this it makes for some of the most crowd pleasing fighting in boxing (not necessarily the best boxing, but crowds love it.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

are my questions getting better

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo123 View Post
    are my questions getting better
    That question was a bit better than most of them -- there was nothing really wrong with it.

You could improve it by giving what you have tried etc (and also by posting at least once your standard details which I have never seen: age, height, weight, reach, fitness, boxing experience and level, gym type or if you are coached, how often and what type of workouts you do, location, etc).

You don't need to write a book but a little bit will help us help you better....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im not sure what you mean by getting behind the punches but if you want to get inside you have to use head movement, not to mention timing and your jab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One can weave inside as the primary action, or you could get in with proper body punching
    as a counter punch -e.g opponent leads with jab and you throw short right to body
    but need to be alert to weaving into a right uppercut or right hook...

in 1968, in the Tacoma Golden Gloves, I weaved from a right hand - but it was a fake right
    and I weaved into a RAY LAMPKIN left hook - ouch.
    BALANCE, LEVERAGE, ACCURACY, SPEED and TIMING - Effective punching.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its a tough call, if they are dominating you in there. If you can move ,duck weave catch them as they are coming and keep them on the outside and force them to react out there too, you going to have trouble eventually.

If you are on the back foot and they are getting inside, you could try to disrupt their timing,by breaking down the distancing further in your mind and dealing with them at different ranges different ways.

If you deal with just their arms; at a range of just arms reach. Contacting arms so that you bring your subtle footwork into play more, there is a few inches of difference.

Disrupt their arms (go for their wrists first) then move into range on your timing instead of waiting for theirs to dominate you and you just trying to to slip it in their time.

If something is failing dont keep going the same way and hoping for the best, you have think about mixing up distances to get the contact occurring in your timing.

You could even attack their lead arm as you move in, it will disrupt their thought and rhythm just enough. If you fight their fight and they are getting their own way the whole time, you have to change something in order to make them rethink then you at least have a hope.

You could leave an opening high left and flow bodily with their high right hook and loop a left hook around their shot all in the same move. Backed up with your feet correctly yours can be the power shot, Its a trade off and very cheeky.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Thread Information