Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: FIFA 2018 and 2022 World Cup Host Announcement

Screwed in 2006 now 2018 we should tell the world they know sweet FA.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the fact that we only got two votes sums it up really

Lost out we may have done and am bitter yes - but come on , two votes thats bullshit
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Us Brits and Americans have to just accept that the rest of the world hate us.

We could've saved a lot of time, money and effort with h=that bid, because we could NEVER win it!

We could have The Rolling Stones in the Eurovision song contest and still get "Nil Point"
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How exciting will the matches be in Qatar in 46 degree heat. Can't wait
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post
    Apparently they have got to build 9 completely new cities for the World Cup
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
    Apparently they have got to build 9 completely new cities for the World Cup
    Haha, unreal.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was actually listening to the response after the announcements on 5 live, and Qatar are going to be building the new stadiums with some sort of air-con, so that the playing temperature will remain about 28 degrees constantly.

As for drinking, I also heard they'll have tourist zones where the whole deposit scheme won't be in operation.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm disappointed but you could say Australia was screwed worse than us. We had it in 1994. They've never had it. They've got a decent team unlike Qatar, and a decent-ish league. I'm always told that Australia is a great sports country and I'm sure they could handle it without many problems. Would probably be a lot of fun actually.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Looking at it objectively, I think Russia can be looked at, like the South Africa World Cup, as a legacy cup. Vastly improved infrastructure, host cities getting a boost out of their post-communist stagnation, and a potential massive audience for football.

Qatar however, seems to be a baffling choice. Apart from the fact that it is in the middle east which again is an untapped football market, it doesn't seem to make sense. The number of people in the country, needing to build that many stadiums will need a huge per capita investment for such a small country. Also, those stadia are unlikely to be filled on a regular basis afterwards. Let's say 10 stadia x 80,000 people each. It would need half the country to go on a regular basis to make those pay off. On the plus side though, I guess the retiring players lured by the big oil bucks will get a decent stadium in which to earn their pension.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by superheavyrhun View Post
    Looking at it objectively, I think Russia can be looked at, like the South Africa World Cup, as a legacy cup. Vastly improved infrastructure, host cities getting a boost out of their post-communist stagnation, and a potential massive audience for football.

Qatar however, seems to be a baffling choice. Apart from the fact that it is in the middle east which again is an untapped football market, it doesn't seem to make sense. The number of people in the country, needing to build that many stadiums will need a huge per capita investment for such a small country. Also, those stadia are unlikely to be filled on a regular basis afterwards. Let's say 10 stadia x 80,000 people each. It would need half the country to go on a regular basis to make those pay off. On the plus side though, I guess the retiring players lured by the big oil bucks will get a decent stadium in which to earn their pension.
    I see no merit in granting these kinds of events to corrupt, fascist states. Russia is an awful choice for the World Cup. Who the heck is going to want to go there and watch the games?

I am no patriot as anyone knows, but the British campaign was far superior. We have the stadiums and infrastructure, we have experience in dealing with stadium level matches week in week out, we have the history and we have a relatively stable society. Most of London is foreign, so people won't have too hard a time fitting in when they come over to watch the games.

Two votes? The entire thing is rigged. Who on earth wants to see the world cup in Qatar? That is just ridiculous. The place is hotter than the sun and no bigger than my left shoe. It just doesn't make any sense to host such an event there. Again, nobody is going to have any fun in such conditions.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As one of England's team has said the fact that they have bids for two different World Cup's going at the same time just invites collusion.

I would love to read a book about the corruption in FIFA. I'm sure it would be somewhat lengthy. Its a different kind of corruption than any other organization I can think of. Different in that they just don't seem to care that they are seen as being obviously corrupt.

In the end I don't care that much. I would have liked to have seen it come to the US but England and Australia were probably fucked over more than us. I'm giving serious thought to going to Brazil 2014. How awesome is that going to be? Plus I could possibly be dead by 2026 (granted I'll just be in my 40's) and Brazil>Russia and LOL at going to Qatar.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If I don't make it to Brazil 2014 then hopefully we'll have a decent striker by 2026. Though to be fair chances are better that I will have kicked the bucket.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

our journalists will uncover something - I am certain of that !

If the idea is to introduce new countries and legacy then why invite bids from us - waste of time and money for all round. It has to be fair yes but if we aren't what they are looking for then don't bother with us. If one of them is canapable nearer time and they ask us we should tell them to fuck off.

I still can't get over the Qatar selection, really can't ! The Russian selection I can accept - though we should have got more than fucking two votes ! - but Qatar in 22 has underlined the farcical set up there.

Over to the great British journalists. Boys do your best !
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The only time I want to see Blatters face again, is through cross-hairs.
    FIFA are rotten to the core.
    24 Beers in a slab, 24 hours in the day.......go figure.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know Qatar is a baffling choice because they really are in no position to host a World Cup, the heat and size of the country make it a ridiculous choice to host it, with traveling fans the population will nearly double and the country itself is near enough the same size as Yorkshire (I did get that from Ian Wright in the Sun mind). But just look at these proposed stadiums, they look pretty amazing

Latest news, comment and reviews from the Guardian | guardian.co.uk

FIFA are clearly a corrupt organization. I can see the reason for holding it in Russia, to leave a legacy similar to the reasons behind hosting it in South Africa in the summer, but if they're not going to judge it on the technical bid what's the point in England even trying? Personally I think Arshavin's Oscar-worthy speech won it. He even managed a few tears as well, the poor little guy

Australia and USA were shafted too, no way will Qatar be in a better position to host a World Cup than either of those countries. I feel particularly bad for Australia, that would also have been a legacy-leaving Cup. Just baffling really.

Thread Information