Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Martinez-Cotto talks off

Bob Arum didn't want to co-promote (so he can keep all the money himself), and Martinez and Dibella said no way they were going to let him buy out Martinez. So he will put together Cotto-Margs II nezt year.

"He'll fight Margarito," Arum said of Cotto. "Margarito is going to get a physical to determine when he can fight. The earlier we can do it, the better."

Sergio Martinez-Miguel Cotto fight talks called off due to money split - ESPN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Martinez-Cotto talks off

Martinez made 1M in his last fight.

Arum's offer was 2.5M plus PPV's share.

Cotto is more marketable than Martinez. therefore Martinez is the 'opponent' in terms of selling the fight.

Who is available besides pac, floyd and Cotto that would convince HBO to give a ppv date for Martinez? Martinez vs Williams isnt even on PPV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People will hate Arum for wanting more money over DiBella who also wants more money

The promoter who has the bigger draw will always have the upper hand in negotiation.

2.5M + % of the PPV buys i believe is a FAIR purse for Martinez at this point. He can command a higher amount if he beats Cotto so why rush it?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

but Martinez is arguably the fighter of the year, and reigning Lineal Middleweight champion of the world, Bob Arum is getting all this backlash cause he deserves it, why? because he refuses to put his fighters against fighters who aren't under the Top Rank banner, costing fight fans fights that they want to see

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If that's the reason why the talks are off, then a possible Martinez vs Pacman is off too. That's why the UFC have better match ups. One person makes the call!!!

Besides, Arum will be smart to have Cotto vs Margarito 2. Cause fighting Martinez will end Cotto's demand as a headliner fighter. Martinez will get in that _____! At lease if Cotto vs Margarito comes to light, Arum could make more money on the winners' next opponent.

Another note, who else can Margarito fight that can generate money? Cintron? Williams? Martinez? None IMO. And might lose to any of the three.

Arum is a smart business man. Bad for fight fans.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Martinez, in my humble opinion, gains absolutely nothing, in boxing terms for fighting a shot Miguel Cotto at LM or Middle. Purely a "cash in" situation and nothing more. Martinez is on top of the world, Cotto has been totally and utterly battered half to death in recent fights. Martinez starches Cotto inside 6 and proves only that Cotto's face can look terrible when he's taken one too many shots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TheMacMagician View Post
    Martinez, in my humble opinion, gains absolutely nothing, in boxing terms for fighting a shot Miguel Cotto at LM or Middle. Purely a "cash in" situation and nothing more. Martinez is on top of the world, Cotto has been totally and utterly battered half to death in recent fights. Martinez starches Cotto inside 6 and proves only that Cotto's face can look terrible when he's taken one too many shots.
    Besides Pacman, there's no one else that can do justice to martinez career right now. Unless he step up to supermiddle. Ward or Dirrell. And we all know Dirrell is past his 90 days of rest(ha ha ha).

Who else should he fight? Martinez's camp needs to push the envelop and get fights now knowing Martinez is already alluding to retiring.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ant Live View Post
    Besides Pacman, there's no one else that can do justice to martinez career right now. Unless he step up to supermiddle. Ward or Dirrell. And we all know Dirrell is past his 90 days of rest(ha ha ha).

Who else should he fight? Martinez's camp needs to push the envelop and get fights now knowing Martinez is already alluding to retiring.
    Inside the last year or two, boxing has become all about Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather and who they are gonna fight. So you say that the only decent fight out there for Martinez, if not Pac or Mayweather is a fight against Cotto. This, IMO, discredits lots of other fighters out there, and boxing for me does not revolve around two fighters. On the Pound 4 Pound list it might do. There are plenty of fighters out there to face, although they might not be million dollar fights, if we take that stance that a fight is only worth having its its worth all the Benjamins, then that will certainly be of great detriment to boxing as a whole, as it just freezes out anyone who isn't on top of the world.

Light Middle:
    Angulo
    Dzinziruk
    Bundrage
    Rhodes
    Lara
    Konecny
    Mundine
    Martirosyan
    Latimore

Middleweight:
    Sylvester
    Macklin
    Lee
    Pirog
    Zbik
    Chavez
    Lemiuez
    Guerrero
    Proksa
    Ouma

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Inside the last year or two, boxing has become all about Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather and who they are gonna fight. So you say that the only decent fight out there for Martinez, if not Pac or Mayweather is a fight against Cotto. This, IMO, discredits lots of other fighters out there, and boxing for me does not revolve around two fighters. On the Pound 4 Pound list it might do. There are plenty of fighters out there to face, although they might not be million dollar fights, if we take that stance that a fight is only worth having its its worth all the Benjamins, then that will certainly be of great detriment to boxing as a whole, as it just freezes out anyone who isn't on top of the world.

Light Middle:

Angulo
    Dzinziruk
    Bundrage
    Rhodes
    Lara
    Konecny

Mundine
    Martirosyan
    Latimore

Middleweight:
    Sylvester
    Macklin
    Lee
    Pirog
    Zbik

Chavez
    Lemiuez
    Guerrero
    Proksa
    Ouma
    Mundine was just knocked out by the Australian Contender winner. He's done. Angulo already declined an ( Alfredo Angulo Shuns $750,000 Offer to Fight Sergio Martinez -- Boxing FanHouse ) offer to fight Martinez. I can't find the link but Arum said Chavez Jr. isn't ready for that fight - and I can't blame him. He'd be annihilated. Guerrero and Lemiuex aren't ready for Martinez yet. Lemiuex hasn't even had one big win on his resume and Ishe Smith gave Guerrero all he could handle. They are just not there yet.

From the rest of your list, Pirog is a good fight. Zbik is his mandatory and undefeated, I can see the point in that. Lee isn't (and probably won't ever be) ready for Martinez, but Emmanuel Stewart likes the fight, probably because it will be the biggest pay day, but strangely, Lee turned down a fight with Pirog recently (?). I think Lee should have a rematch with Vera and win that first.

Back to point of post, I'm split on this. 2.5M would be Martinez's biggest pay day against a fighter that he should beat. Cotto is a well-known name and would put him even more into the spotlight. Is he really going to be paid more to fight Zbik or Lee or Pirog? I doubt it. Maybe Dibella thinks he can get more money if he holds out. Honestly, I really doubt Bruce Trampler and Bob Arum agree to letting Cotto fight Martinez. They can make more money having him fight Margarito in a rematch without bricks, and in my opinion, there is less risk.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good. He'll get a good stay busy fight. How about Cintron rematch. See if he can beat him a third time.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's why the UFC have better match ups. One person makes the call!!!
    I know what your getting at but it doesnt work like that, in fact its exactly the same situation as Bob Arums fighters only fighting each other.

UFC is just one promoter who has fighters signed under its banner, not an organisation any fighter can fight for like the WBC, WBA, IBF or WBO. They only fight other UFC signed fighters. They dont fight Strikeforce fighters like Fedor or Overeem because they would have to share the promotion.

Its a shame that MMA isnt more like boxing in fact because then you could have a world wide MMA title that is available for anyone to fight for and then the promoters just have to bid to stage the fight, like they do in boxing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To me it seems like Arum is only going to be putting on fights with guys under Top Rank. Either your with Top rank, or get bought out, this is very bad for boxing.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miron_lang View Post
    Martinez made 1M in his last fight.

Arum's offer was 2.5M plus PPV's share.

Cotto is more marketable than Martinez. therefore Martinez is the 'opponent' in terms of selling the fight.

Who is available besides pac, floyd and Cotto that would convince HBO to give a ppv date for Martinez? Martinez vs Williams isnt even on PPV.
    That stunning KO gave him leverage to get a ppv for the next show, although I admit, Martinez is a tougher sell than he should be.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

as a cotto fan i'm gald it didnt happen, i'm also hoping he retires rather then fight again tho i can understand him wanting a fight with margarito again.....if the sums spoken are true,,,2.5m plus ppv % then martinez is a silly boy for not saying yes.....thats about the same amount hes made in the last 10 years with the ppv kicking in.....at 35, to make in one night what you've made in your whole career some 45 fights is stupid to say no.....silly boy

Thread Information